We had a frustrating incident today...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
We do not celebrate Easter in our family, its just not observed in our religion, my kids understand that it is the norm though, they know what its all about, and they do also like buying chocolate (go figure). I am often frustrated by people who find this 'shocking' or a select few who see it as some kind of 'abuse' but I usually just calm myself by remembering that we do live in a country where there is a religious norm and a lot of this behaviour is out of ignorance rather than an attack on me.

Anyway, we were at a shopping centre today, and a woman approached Sasha and asked him "Is the Easter bunny coming for you tomorrow?" to which he replied "No, we dont have the Easter bunny" there was an awkward silence, I smiled at her and grabbed Sash's hand to walk away and she said "Oh but there is sweetheart *winks at me* but he only comes to those who believe, its the spirit of Easter" Sasha said, "We dont have an Easter in our house, we have Mabon, but that finished last week"

I smiled again, went to walk off again and the woman was glaring at me and said "YOU DEPRIVE YOUR CHILDREN OF EASTER? WHAT KIND OF MOTHER ARE YOU? I HOPE SOMEONE CALLS CHILD PROTECTION ON YOU. ALSO, YOURE A FREAK" as we were walking off.

Child protection, thats a new one I have to say. Lets call child protection on all parents who dont celebrate Easter.

Aylaissi

PF Regular
Nov 18, 2011
That is horrible! I will always get stuck with Easter dinners because family is important to my boyfriend, and his very large family is very into that sort of thing. I however do not believe in or celebrate Easter and would hope that when my child is older they would respond so wonderful and matter of fact as yours did to family and/or strangers, no matter their response! So even though her response was disgusting, look at two things and smile ^^ One you have a child who is matter of fact about your belief and not afraid to say it. Two that the lady really just made a fool of herself. I mean that response just made her look like an intolerant close minded woman... Which is a bit funny since if she is that religious that she should be reading her bible about loving others like herself... Does not say love those who believe only what you do like yourself. The whole thing is really shame on herself. Hope you can smile, and maybe get a giggle thinking of it like that instead of letting her foolish negativity get to you!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Wow!! I'm sorry you had to go through that! That's terrible, that woman should be ashamed. What a strange and inappropriate thing to do. I don't understand why people think that kind of thing is okay. I agree with Aylaissi that she made a fool of herself.

I totally respect what others choose to do with their families. Honestly my husband and I are atheists and we never share that fact openly with most people we know (although we don't pretend to be believers either, we just don't say anything at all most of the time if the topic arises) and it can be very frustrating to me. We are so careful not to offend people, because of how hyped up religion is no matter where you go, atheists are viewed as some kind of heartless monsters that are depriving their kids of god and religion and all that. I always feel like I'm being judged for it so I just never talk about it, though I know some people know that about me anyway. It irritates me that religious people are okay with shoving the topic down absolutely anyone's throat in any given situation, though. I try to be respectful but a lot of religious people can't do the same.

Well, aside from all that, although we are atheists we do celebrate christian holidays like easter and christmas because we were raised celebrating them and we enjoy the family time. Holidays are a special and anticipated time for my family to just be together and surprise each other with nice things, I guess haha. I'm not going to pretend that makes sense, but that's what we do and we're happy that way. We do not talk about any of the religious stuff revolving around the holidays. My kids think easter is about the easter bunny, candy, and egg hunts etc. Christmas is about santa clause, giving and receiving gifts, and being together with your family. I do think it's a bummer, at most, if some kids don't get to do these things (just because I remember how fun and magical it felt for me as a child), but I don't judge people for not doing it and I would never say anything like that to anyone. I definitely don't think it's a big deal at all lol, certainly nothing worth telling people off about. o_O

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I just couldnt believe that she was screaming at me in the middle of the shops, im used to snide comments, but complete screaming, woah that took me by surprise.

We like the family and holiday aspects too Xero, and we incorporate a lot of the more 'mainstream' traditions into the practicing of our religious holidays, seeing as there usually is no set way to celebrate, its just ours tend to fall about a week earlier. Our kids did get some eggs for Mabon, its a harvest festival so... I guess technically it makes some sense, HAHA.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
That's awful Cybele. Sorry you and your children had to go through that. That woman is extremely ignorant.

You and your family don't have to explain your practices to anyone and shouldn't have to worry about some nut in a store.

You were right to just ignore her, because surly she's unbalanced.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I only feel bad for children who's parents don't do it because they would be "lying" to them. That just irks me to no end lol

Would I ever tell a parent that...hell no. I can also respect parents who do it for religious reasons. While Christmas and Easter are based around a religious holiday, they aren't the reason Santa and The Easter Bunny exist. I don't practice the religious aspect, although my kids are aware of why the holiday exist, I am just a big kid at heart and find it fun.

I'm sorry that some idiot woman was so rude to you guys!!!

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
sorry this has nothing to do with your post really (btw i think that woman was a rude and horrible lady who had no idea what she was talking about)

but.. what is Mabon? it caught my interest and i have never heard of it. i am an atheist but i am quite interested in different religions and religious celebrations, i don't believe in any deity but i do enjoy learning about the customs of people who do.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Mabon is the autumnal equinox in the Pagan Wheel Of The Year. It occurs in March in the southern hemisphere and September in the northern hemisphere. Its a harvest festival where we thank the gods and goddesses for the foods we have coming into the winter season.

Testing

PF Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2012
cybele said:
We do not celebrate Easter in our family, its just not observed in our religion, my kids understand that it is the norm though, they know what its all about, and they do also like buying chocolate (go figure). I am often frustrated by people who find this 'shocking' or a select few who see it as some kind of 'abuse' but I usually just calm myself by remembering that we do live in a country where there is a religious norm and a lot of this behaviour is out of ignorance rather than an attack on me.

Anyway, we were at a shopping centre today, and a woman approached Sasha and asked him "Is the Easter bunny coming for you tomorrow?" to which he replied "No, we dont have the Easter bunny" there was an awkward silence, I smiled at her and grabbed Sash's hand to walk away and she said "Oh but there is sweetheart *winks at me* but he only comes to those who believe, its the spirit of Easter" Sasha said, "We dont have an Easter in our house, we have Mabon, but that finished last week"

I smiled again, went to walk off again and the woman was glaring at me and said "YOU DEPRIVE YOUR CHILDREN OF EASTER? WHAT KIND OF MOTHER ARE YOU? I HOPE SOMEONE CALLS CHILD PROTECTION ON YOU. ALSO, YOURE A FREAK" as we were walking off.

Child protection, thats a new one I have to say. Lets call child protection on all parents who dont celebrate Easter.
It's none of that parent's business of course.

But what the heck is Mabon? That's a new one to me. I think I have to go look that up.;)

Oh....witchcraft. Ok.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Im torn between pointing out the massive, gaping differences between paganism and witchcraft, or just saying "Gee, thanks Testing"

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
My brother identifies as a neo-pagan which I suppose is a little different to traditional paganism but still is not witchcraft. That's a bit offensive

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I dont find it offensive, people who practice various aspects of paganism do tend to incorporate it into other religious practices, and wicca does seem to be the default that people assume with the cross over, also, any religion that does fall into any of the major 5 people tend to really misunderstand.

I actually know many more catholic-pagans than pagan witches. I know a few, but not as many as some of the other cross overs.

Personally, our family fall more into the new-age/pagan cross-over. Were definetly eclectic pagans, so we do branch out and try other things, and I have dabbled in witchcraft in the past, it just wasnt for me.

So I dont take offense to the term, I just would like people to look into something before they label it.

Paganism is an earth-based religion, our core beliefs is that mother earth is our divine god and we worship her above all other celestial beings. We accept and believe in celestial gods and goddesses in addition, but the core pagan belief is respect for mother earth and nature.

BabyAngel

PF Fanatic
Feb 6, 2012
Deux-Montagnes, Quebec, Canada
The source of a lot of evil : Thinking yourself and your religion is better than the neighbor's.

It's incredible how people can judge others based on their own beliefs. I'm hoping that our children will be more open-minded than the generation that I'm in.... I can only hope.

Even though I'm part of the majority where I live, it just astounds me when I hear others say bad things about other cultures or religion... I always ask them what makes them so sure that they are right about anything..... makes me angry.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
I'd say you did the right thing...ignore them and keep about your business. Anyone who is that zealous about easter and religion would not likely listen to anything you had to say in return to them.

scoobymom

PF Regular
Jun 1, 2011
We don't celebrate that either,because we are not christians, but we do celebrate by getting a Spring Basket full of goodies.
We kind of poke fun at the Easter Aspect!

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
Funny to me that Easter is celebrated as a Christian holiday with rabbits and eggs anyway. Wonder if that lady knew that bunnies are known for breeding and the egg is the fertility symbol. She actually encouraging you to celebrate the Goddess Estra. Perhaps you should have threatened to call her church on her. :D