Welding career for girls...

flynntr

Aug 23, 2016
<r>Hi,<br/>
<br/>
Im new to this forum. Don’t know whether this is the right place to ask this question but I don’t know how to solve my doubt and to whom can I seek advice. My daughter has just completed her schooling and waiting for her results but after that she is confused in selecting her career. She is very much interested in welding field and love to select it as her career but me and wife are really worried about this and we think that as a girl this career may not suit her but she is sticking on to it. What can we do?What about the job opportunities? What may be the risks of choosing this career? Is this a good career option for a girl to choose? If no how can I convince her. She has gone through the website of a welding training college(<URL url="http://weldtechtraining.com/"><s></s>http://weldtechtraining.com/<e></e></URL>). She wish to join there. Do anyone of you have experience regarding the college? Will they provide placement assistance.Please give advice……</r>

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
As a girl in a predominantly male occupation, she may find a hard time to be taken seriously. I know a few women who work in construction. Plenty of jobs out there, but employers shun women. Discrimination is extremely hard to prove.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
Don't get me wrong, i'm all for girls/women pursuing their passions and aspirations, and challenging gender stereotypes. However, welding is not a very high-flying career. Work is physically demanding, risk of injuries. I doubt that she would find it rewarding in the long run.

Vdad

PF Enthusiast
May 28, 2016
I think you have to delicately balance your concerns with her desire.

There's nothing innately "Masculine" about welding, no "Masculine" abilities required. The issue is more the field itself being predominately male. perhaps that's part of her desire?

I'd talk with her about that desire, what drives it. Then, I'd try to find some type of internship or experience if not in welding, then at least in those manufacturing or construction sites where welders typically work.

Young people often respond more to their own sense of fantasy about a career rather than actual ability or experience. Rather than get into a conversation that leaves her feeling deflated an dejected, it might be best to encourage and perhaps help her find some hands on experience so she can base her decision on data, rather than dream.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
My ex took a heavy mechanics course and there were a few girls in the class. There is welding involved. No one says much anymore. This is the 21st century and even so, look at the war times when there was an influx of women taking over male-dominated jobs.
It may depend on where you are, and how traditional and conservative the views are in your society.

It's not uncommon, though, for people to change their majors a few times in college and, on average, people tend to change their careers 4 times in their life.
Let her chase her goals and decide if she is able to handle the drawbacks.

There are risks involved in every career. Your daughter will need to prove she can handle time pressures and working in uncomfortable conditions. There is becoming an increase in demand for female welders as the industry is trying to diversify, among other male-dominant industries. But, again, it all has to do with where those jobs are located. She may have to earn respect with prospective employers and colleagues through her work. Some women have a harder time finding jobs in more traditional, religious areas and have had to move elsewhere for work. But there are places that do accept women. It's just a matter of researching.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I have a welding certification. I'm not a welder by trade, but I do use it in my work so I needed the certification for occupational health and safety purposes.

I did the course over 10 years ago, but I certainly was not the only girl there, I'd guess it at around a 70/30 mix, the 30 being female.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
artmom said:
This is the 21st century and even so, look at the war times when there was an influx of women taking over male-dominated jobs.
It may depend on where you are, and how traditional and conservative the views are in your society.
Actually i saw an interesting documentary once. The equality effect is quite opposite. In more "traditional" (sexist) societies, more women choose "male" careers because its where they have more earning potential. But in places where feminism rules (like Norway), women are happier to take more "traditional" professions. If you can make a decent living being a nurse or a school teacher, you don't have much to prove working on an oil rig.

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
From a young age on, I knew exactly what I wanted to do in life. It was a 'male job", and I am female. My parents supported me because they knew it was what I wanted to do, and I was passionate about it. I don't know what I would have done had they opposed it. and I'm glad I never had to find out. I never had problems working a job as a girl in a profession where most were guys. In some ways, it gave me an advantage.