What activities do your kids do?...

LvMyLaxKid

PF Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2013
Hi! New here, and this is my first post, besides my intro. First of all, I'd like to say that I've noticed a lot of Dads in here, and think that is so cool! It's great to see Dads involved. I'm on a few other forums, but they're primarily Moms.

I was wondering what types of sports and activities your children are into? What types of things are they doing for extracurricular activities this school year?

My son is in 3rd grade, and just started last Wed. So far, we don't have anything planned for him. We're actually up in the air on a job my husband just applied for, and they're supposed to be hiring him SOON. So, if that happens, we'll be moving across country. So.......I hesitate to start him in anything until we move. (or the job falls through) He wants to play basketball this winter, and also wants to get started in Theater. And as you can see from my screen name and siggy, he's really big into Lacrosse, but that's usually spring. He's been playing since he was 4, and usually plays defense or goalie. He also plays baseball, and is a high yellow belt in TaeKwon-do. But, he hasn't done that in awhile, because it was getting to be too much.

So.......what do your kids do? :)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Great thread start Tammy.

My eldest son is 11. He plays club soccer (starting his 4th season there) He mostly plays goalkeeper. He also plays american football. He plays trumpet and Piano too.

My 6 yo, is a soccer fiend. He's in first grade but playing up on a second grade team, and he just scored 4 goals in an 801 win last weekend. He also likes playing football, basketball and baseball (and if we'd let him would do about any sport that exists. He also just started piano lessons this past summer.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
My 5yr old does swimming lessons year round, it's something that all my kids did, living in Australia with such a beach culture its something kids need to be pretty decent at doing. He hasn't asked to do anything else yet, I leave it to the kids to ask for something when it takes their interest.

My 12yr old does horse riding, she competes mostly in show jumping, were heading into that season now

My 14yr old does gymnastics and these upcoming school holidays she is going to do a circus trampolining program at the circus institute in the city. She wanted to do it year round, but it's too far to travel after school. She also has started saxophone lessons.

My 16yr old does roller derby and mixed netball. He does cello lessons but he also plays piano and guitar but no longer takes lessons for those (he teaches piano after school at the local primary school though). He is heavily involved in drama and music at school and is always doing something there. At current it's rehearsals for the schools very large end of year musical, this year it's The Lion King. He's Zazu. (My 14yr old is also in it, she's a dance extra).

My 19yr old is mostly focused on school and her apprenticeship (pastry chef) but she takes a yoga class once a week with her friends. When she was younger she did ballet and was also into the whole music and drama thing.

LvMyLaxKid

PF Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2013
cybele said:
My 5yr old does swimming lessons year round, it's something that all my kids did, living in Australia with such a beach culture its something kids need to be pretty decent at doing. He hasn't asked to do anything else yet, I leave it to the kids to ask for something when it takes their interest.

My 12yr old does horse riding, she competes mostly in show jumping, were heading into that season now

My 14yr old does gymnastics and these upcoming school holidays she is going to do a circus trampolining program at the circus institute in the city. She wanted to do it year round, but it's too far to travel after school. She also has started saxophone lessons.

My 16yr old does roller derby and mixed netball. He does cello lessons but he also plays piano and guitar but no longer takes lessons for those (he teaches piano after school at the local primary school though). He is heavily involved in drama and music at school and is always doing something there. At current it's rehearsals for the schools very large end of year musical, this year it's The Lion King. He's Zazu. (My 14yr old is also in it, she's a dance extra).

My 19yr old is mostly focused on school and her apprenticeship (pastry chef) but she takes a yoga class once a week with her friends. When she was younger she did ballet and was also into the whole music and drama thing.
Sounds like you stay busy! And your kids have the coolest names!! ;)<EMOJI seq="1f192">:cool:</EMOJI>

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
My DD fell in love with gymnastics while watching the Olympics last year and convinced me to let her try it. Turns out that not only does she love every minute of it, she's also pretty good for her age :) So yeah, I have a little gymnast in the house.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
singledad said:
My DD fell in love with gymnastics while watching the Olympics last year and convinced me to let her try it. Turns out that not only does she love every minute of it, she's also pretty good for her age :) So yeah, I have a little gymnast in the house.
Good luck. A couple of my friends have gymnast daughters. One is in my son's class and I can't believe the discipline with which she works. She's 11 yo and a level 10 gymnast.

yunihara

PF Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2010
Nebraska
We usually wait for the kids to ask us if they can do something, and we have to limit how many extracurricular they do so they don't do too much.

My daughter, 14, does vocal lesson and has for about 5 years. She has also been in a few community theater shows but there's nothing for someone her age to audition for at the moment. She is also a part of a long distance bike club, which season is almost over, and cross country running.. which the season is almost over for that too! She will be taking painting lessons during the winter.

My 14 year old son likes soccer, and he participates in interesting art classes like paper making. He started learning how to blow glass from a local artist, but it makes me nervous! He also volunteers for community garden projects.

My 6 year old son decided he wanted to do martial arts after learning I was a 3rd level black belt in Kendo. We couldn't find specifically Kendo in our area so he's started Tae Kwan Do. He's also playing hockey this winter.

Other two kids are a bit young for extracurricular activities lol.

yunihara

PF Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2010
Nebraska
cybele said:
That sounds really awesome.

He was really excited when the artist accepted him as a student. Its really cool, but all that glass makes me nervous, even if he wears safety glasses :rolleyes:

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
yunihara said:
He was really excited when the artist accepted him as a student. Its really cool, but all that glass makes me nervous, even if he wears safety glasses :rolleyes:
Does he know about Dale Cihuly? Iconic american glass artist, who ironically lost an eye due to glass...but it was glass from a windsheild in a car accident not in the studio...Dangers are everywhere. Better to learn safety than hide from the danger.

LvMyLaxKid

PF Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2013
IADad said:
Does he know about Dale Cihuly? Iconic american glass artist, who ironically lost an eye due to glass...but it was glass from a windsheild in a car accident not in the studio...Dangers are everywhere. Better to learn safety than hide from the danger.
He's awesome!!! I went to one of his exhibits in a huge botanical garden in Atlanta one time. LOVED it!!

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
My kids do swimming and 4H. When they're older, I'll let them do whatever interests them. My daughter was enthralled by the Olympics and wanted to do gymnastics, but there's just nothing like that around here. I felt so bad, because I loved gymnastics as a kid! That would have been great for her.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
4H is an agricultural program for kids. They raise animals and compete in different categories, and older kids can also sell their livestock at auction.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
My kids are homebodies by nature, till their teen years. So they don't really do a lot of outside activities.

We do a lot if stuff on our own. We live in Idaho so we have plenty of things to keep us busy.

Sent from my iPhone, so please forgive my errors lol

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
akmom said:
4H is an agricultural program for kids. They raise animals and compete in different categories, and older kids can also sell their livestock at auction.
I pledge:

my Head to Clearer thinking
my Heart to greater loyalty
my Hands to larger service and
my health to better living...

;-)

LvMyLaxKid

PF Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2013
IADad said:
I pledge:

my Head to Clearer thinking
my Heart to greater loyalty
my Hands to larger service and
my health to better living...

;-)
We're moving to a town that is a huge farming community. I think it would be fun to get Parker involved in that. My DH grew up with horses, goats, etc, and always entered them in the fair. Lots of great memories that would be fun to pass along to Parker.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
My twins (Billy and Kaitlyn) are 12 years old, in 7th grade.

Billy is into baseball, always has been. He plays pitcher and he's freaking awesome at it. (He shattered our window with a wiffle ball last year). As for school activities (other than baseball) he has been talking about joining the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Also he just found out that his new school has a "foreign language club" and might join that if anyone else speaks Italian other than him.

Kaitlyn has always been into dance and gymnastics and is on the Cheerleading squad for the first time this year. No other activities for her at the moment.

My older ones:
Jon and Cassie are both 18 and Freshmen in college.

Cassie volunteers as a teachers assistant (since she's majoring in Special Education). She likes Gymnastics but doesn't really have the time to do it right now for fun. She is a gymnastics instructor though.

Jon is currently into soccer, loves music but is really introverted and doesn't feel comfortable at the time to join any school activities.

Dane 20 and at the Naval Academy. he likes baseball but isn't on the team anymore. Still volunteers with the team, but he just "wasn't feeling it" (his words). Him and his fiancé are planning their wedding.

Dylan is 21 and a senior in College. He plays baseball on his schools team. Ranked #1 in our area! He's in Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the "Best Buddies" program, which is them helping out with special needs children.

Megan is 26, married, two kids. Not in school. But when she was she was on the cheerleading squad and softball team.

Andrew W.

PF Regular
Jul 22, 2013
Missouri
Kevin did math club and chess club in high school. He was never much for extra-curricular activities. He liked to read, pretty much non-stop, all day, every day. We could never get him to do sports and he hated camp the one year we sent him to one, and we actually worried if he was getting enough exercise. Then in 10th grade he got involved in caving through a friend of his, and they both started doing some rock climbing at a local park and some pretty serious bicycling, and now he is almost buff. He also did debate in 10th grade for about a week, and he did some photography for the high school yearbook last year. In college he has gotten involved in a tutoring program for at risk local high school kids.

AJ does cheerleading, volleyball, and plays the oboe. She loved gymnastics until she was ten, when she grew about a foot in three months and became very awkward and couldn't do things that she had already mastered. She got very frustrated and just quit. We tried to get her into basketball, but she hated it, and instead she started playing the oboe. But then in 6th grade she got involved in volleyball and cheerleading.

MamaRuthie

PF Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2013
melbourne
Ellie does netball

Cybele you said that your son does mixed netall? how does he find it? Ellie has been asking about it probably because of the boy factor LOL but im not too sure, do any of the girls get hurt?