What are your go-to parenting magazines?...

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
What parenting magazine do you prefer? What are your takes on parenting magazines in general?

Canadian parents was subscribed to me thanks to someone in my family. It was okay, but they interviewed a lot of wealthy families and celebrities and it seemed that's what the magazine was geared to. Since I was more on the poor scale I found it hard to relate to the articles and prices of the products that were advertised were ridiculous.

Today's Parent is one of the more popular Canadian magazine for parents. I like how there is more of a diversity and they showcase dad's, sometimes. I also had a subscription to this one for a couple of years. It was good at first, but I did find they repeated subjects every year and the majority of the articles are centered around babies and younger kids. There are some small articles about bigger kids and younger teens. It's pretty much that same thing in parenting magazines. There is almost nothing regarding teens over 15. There is a debate article at the end where 2 different parents voice their side of an issue.

I find that all the toys and everything is set in front of a squeaky clean, bright white background and all the kids are a little too perfect looking. You can tell some photo shopping is going on.
I don't read parenting magazine often, just due to the fact that my daughter is not at the age the subjects in the magazines are centered around and the topics have done many times.
I've read the magazines when my daughter was a baby, even when I was pregnant and I would read the whole thing, even stuff I didn't have to deal with yet.
I would let other moms borrow read the magazines. One, tended to skip articles that were about topics for kids older than her son. I didn't say anything, it was her choice, but I thought "Now, wouldn't it be better to be informed and prepared ahead of time?".

Some things strike a nerve about the magazines. Since they are written by the columnists, there are some basis's, such stating opinions rather than facts.

Well, that's my take on parenting magazines so far.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I don't really do parenting magazines. Most are just full of fluffy listicles and pseudo-science, or people who write long articles in order to justify their bad parenting practices.

When I do read about parenting, it will be because I stumbled across an interesting essay on a site like medium, or because I googled something specific. I have also developed a network of friends that I would sometimes ask for advice. I find that much more interesting than magazines.

CraigK

PF Regular
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego
You should check out the kids in the house website! Just google it and it should turn up. They even have their own forum there if you want another parenting community.