What are your kids reading?...

LvMyLaxKid

PF Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2013
My son is a huge reader, and reads all the time. But, the thing that bothers me is that he has about 50 UNread books on his shelf, but will go read something he's already read. :rolleyes: He read the whole Diary Of A Wimpy Kid series in Kindergarten, and just started reading them again a few weeks ago. He read the 1st one about 5 times total. But, now he's going through the whole series again.......:eek: I know there is nothing "wrong" with it, other than he keeps picking up more books here and there......spending money, and taking up space on his shelves.......and then reads stuff he's already read! UGH! I've been telling him that I'm not buying ANY more books until he starts reading them. A lot of the paperback books, and ones we pick up at yard sales and flea markets, we get rid of once he's read them. (So, I'd like him to read, to free up some space!) But, some of the nicer series books. (the DOAWK, Harry Potter, etc) we keep. Oh, and he's read the first 3 HP in 1st grade.......and then wanted to read the first one again!

I'm trying to think of another series to get him interested in. Although I'd like him to start on the ones he has first.......but, the next book he wants to read when he's done with the current series is Because Of Winn Dixie that we picked up last weekend.

Does anyone have any good series suggestions? We've tried Percy Jackson, and he couldn't get into it. It lost his interest........he's also read the Spiderwick Chronicles and Leminey Snicket, and liked those. Any other suggestions??

Thanks! And share your DCs faves! If you still read to them, what are their favorites? When Parker was little, he LOVED Sandra Boynton books, and Richard Scary- Busy Town.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
"jama, jama, jama, jams...PJs..." Loved Sandra Boynton.

My boys are truly a tale of tow boys, the best of readers, the worst of readers...okay, maybe not the worst. The elder had trouble getting going with reading - So, he "likes" reading but it' snot the first thing he sits down to do, kind of has to be reminded or at least remind himself to do it. Having tech helps, because he will gravitate toward reading on his tablet rather than picking up a hard copy book.

The younger is a pretty advanced reader 1st grader probably reading at about 3rd grade level, so probably not at the point your guy was in 1st grade, but maybe he will be toward the end of the year. It'd be cool if he could be into chapter books by then.

I can understand him wanting to re-read. It's comfort, why do we re-watch movies we've already seen or tv shows, we know we like them and I think it makes sense to our brains to give them something that feels good.

As for the books going unread - are they books that he thought he'd like and now isn't so excited about? Maybe it's time to just cull them out...?

LvMyLaxKid

PF Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2013
IADad said:
"jama, jama, jama, jams...PJs..." Loved Sandra Boynton.

My boys are truly a tale of tow boys, the best of readers, the worst of readers...okay, maybe not the worst. The elder had trouble getting going with reading - So, he "likes" reading but it' snot the first thing he sits down to do, kind of has to be reminded or at least remind himself to do it. Having tech helps, because he will gravitate toward reading on his tablet rather than picking up a hard copy book.

The younger is a pretty advanced reader 1st grader probably reading at about 3rd grade level, so probably not at the point your guy was in 1st grade, but maybe he will be toward the end of the year. It'd be cool if he could be into chapter books by then.

I can understand him wanting to re-read. It's comfort, why do we re-watch movies we've already seen or tv shows, we know we like them and I think it makes sense to our brains to give them something that feels good.

As for the books going unread - are they books that he thought he'd like and now isn't so excited about? Maybe it's time to just cull them out...?
Yes, they're ones he wanted, or thought looked interesting, etc. We picked them up here and there......yard sales, flea markets, book sales, etc. I KNOW he'll like them, once he reads them. But, he's the same way with movies. He would rather watch something he's seen a million times, rather than a new one. I understand wanting to watch/read something more than twice, because like you said, we all do! But, I try to remind him that the movies/books he likes were at one time new to him.

Another thing he does is read several books at a time. He'll have one on his nightstand that he reads at night, a different one in the car, and other one at school, etc. Or, he'll have 2-3 on his night stand with book marks in them. I just wish he'd FINISH one! LOL Although he HAS finished the first 4 DOAWK books within the last week. But, he's also reading Superfudge.......which he started a week ago, and hasn't read since, even though he likes it.

We're having a yard sale next weekend, I should have him go through and purge some!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I'd say just be happy he's reading and as long as his "Collection" doesn't start to resemble a scene from "Hoarders" you're doing okay.

I was never much of a reader (for several reasons) and I'm trying to now. I thought I'd start with a "Classic" both because , hey, we should read the classics, right? and because I could get an e-book free....wow, was that painful and disappointing.

I'm now reading one of my wife's books...another long story...but once I'm done with that I sort of think I should find something of my own to like, or I won't keep going reading. Just not sure what to read when I've never read much of anything...

LvMyLaxKid

PF Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2013
I love to read, but my DH doesn't. He's always hated to read, and will only read magazines. I'm glad Parker likes to read though, and didn't take after his Dad! lol

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
LvMyLaxKid said:
I love to read, but my DH doesn't. He's always hated to read, and will only read magazines. I'm glad Parker likes to read though, and didn't take after his Dad! lol
I agree, that's part of why I'm trying to read more, set a better example. I just have to find my niche

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Comic books inside the novel? Hehe.

I pretty much refuse to buy books they haven't read because the same happens in our home, they just gather dust and the same books get read over and over. Makes no sense to buy them either when the library bus parks at the end of our street once a week plus their father is a library branch manager.
If were buying them it's a favourite that we have borrowed repeatedly, or a non-fiction book that I feel is important to have in the house. Or a book about cats. Somehow 'books about cats' has made it into our approved purchase list.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
cybele said:
Or a book about cats. Somehow 'books about cats' has made it into our approved purchase list.
a friend posted a thing on FB the other day that said:

"Living with cats is like having art that throws up occasionally."

LvMyLaxKid

PF Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2013
IADad said:
a friend posted a thing on FB the other day that said:

"Living with cats is like having art that throws up occasionally."
OMG, that is SO true!

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
My 9yo doesn't like reading stories for some reason. He likes books though, but only those that contain factual material, like encyclopedias, especialy about nature. But no fiction seems to interest him :(

By the way, do you buy any magazines for your kids?

Last edited:

LvMyLaxKid

PF Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2013
TabascoNatalie said:
My 9yo doesn't like reading stories for some reason. He likes books though, but only those that contain factual material, like encyclopedias, especialy about nature. But no fiction seems to interest him :(
Well, that's not ALL bad. At least he's still learning! It's great he has a thirst for knowledge. :) Does his use him imagination in other ways? Does he like to watch movies?

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
LvMyLaxKid said:
Well, that's not ALL bad. At least he's still learning! It's great he has a thirst for knowledge. :) Does his use him imagination in other ways? Does he like to watch movies?
He likes movies and doesn't mind stories being read to him, but when he reads himself, it seems like he doesn't get the plot, he can't follow the story line.

My DH for example, has never read any "serious" book in his life. He only reads newspapers and crime or war stories, non-fiction.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
TabascoNatalie said:

By the way, do you buy any magazines for your kids?
I completely associate with that.

My kids get "High 5 and Highlights (I forget which is for which) My Big Back Yard and Ranger Rick and SI for Kids - We don't get them for them, they've gotten them as gifts from relatives. Oh, and the Nat Geo for kids.

MamaRuthie

PF Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2013
melbourne
Ellie is kinda in between at the moment like she used to real a lot of junor fiction but she isn't really into the young adult stuff yet but finds junor doesn't appeal anymore

momandmore

PF Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2013
I love this topic! I worked at a book printing company for a little while as a temporary job years ago and they had kind of a "book fair" where I scored all kinds of different learning books for kids and encyclopedias on animals, museums, .. some really great books for $1 each. I still have a lot of these and the kids are getting lots of use out of them.
I guess I will start with the oldest.

18yo SD no longer lives here and she was more of an artsy type but she read in her free time. She was into the twilights series, well just about any series that was being turned into a movie or a show.

16yo SS. He has sever ADHD but he is getting much better about staying focused. I will catch him with a book from time to time. I won't make a big deal out of it as I do't want to discourage, I will just tell him that it looks interesting. He is into mystery, Dean Koontz, Stephen King authors like that.

14yo DD was reading by age 4 (basic reading) and still loves to read. I swear I don't think I have many pictures of her as a toddler without a book in her hands. She likes the Harry Potter, Diary of a wimpy kid, twilight, most series books.

14yo SS also likes the Harry Potter. He is very into that series. He has read them numerous times and still reads them over and over.

10yo DS loves Diary of a wimpy kid and reads the series over and over. He also loves educational books and encyclopedias.

7yo SD couldn't read when I got here, she was way behind in K. I immediately took to her, She didn't have the confidence to try. I went and got her some beginner level reading books, flash cards, things like that. She took off and is working on goosebumps now. She also likes Barbie, Monster High, Hello Kitty .. things like that. When she reads to me now, or I'll catch her reading to 5yo SD (when they are getting along, lol) She reads with much emphasis and puts her all into the story line. It is awesome. But I noticed just yesterday while waiting at her therapists office that she wasn't confident in her reading. It was a little mermaid book and she knew the words but stumbled on them. Maybe it was bc we were in a place she isn't at "all the time" hmmm?

5yo SD. I didn't work with her as much as I would have liked to before she started K. She was never in pre-K or anything like that. I read to them every night and practiced letters and sounds with her but now she is lacking the confidence since she has been in school. So, I need to step it up with her now. I still have the beginner level reading books and we have read through them a zillion times but I will continue to read those to her and when she is confident enough to try to read it to me I will do the same as with 7yo SD. We have more flash cards now and I have made some. I also kept some things from 7yo SD's year of K to help her out.
She'll get there (=

I also have the issue of buying the books that they want for them to sit on the shelf only to collect dust while they read the books they have already read. Mostly with 10yo DS. I started making him take his own money to the book fair instead of just handing it out to him. He has slowed down a bit on buying books that he won't read.

I brought up to DH just yesterday that I wanted to take two younger SD's to get library cards, I'm not sure why I hadn't done this before! The library at the schools for the older kids have a much larger selection than our tiny little community library. I know they have a fair amount of kids' books though.

Sorry so long. I could talk about books for hours. I love to read. I haven't had a chance to read much of what I like in the last year and a half So I am not up to date on my favorite authors. I don't mind the childrens' books though. lol

LvMyLaxKid

PF Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2013
Yesterday my son found a new series to start. Since we're doing a cross country move in two weeks, I thought I'd treat him to a new book for the trip. He spent about a half hour in the book store, looking, reading covers, etc. After much deciding, he finally picked this series to start:
<AMAZON id="0142406635" url="http://www.amazon.com/Ruins-Gorlan-Rangers-Apprentice-Book/dp/0142406635?tag=5336432714-20">http://www.amazon.com/Ruins-Gorlan-Rangers-Apprentice-Book/dp/0142406635?tag=5336432714-20</AMAZON>

He's 8, but reads around a 5th grade level, so I think he'll really like these. I guess We'll see! I bought him the first 2, and if he likes them, I'll buy him more. I think there are like 13 in the series.

He's also reading The Magic Tree House series right now, which is a lot easier reading level, but he doesn't seem to care about how easy/hard a book is, as long as it's interesting. He's on like book 40something in those.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Coles reading something for school (can't remember it's name) he hates to read, if it's a history book he will read for hours.

Vanna is reading a manga.

The others don't read.

elof-valantor

Dec 26, 2013
LvMyLaxKid said:
He read the 1st one about 5 times total. But, now he's going through the whole series again.......:eek: I know there is nothing "wrong" with it, other than he keeps picking up more books here and there......spending money, and taking up space on his shelves.......and then reads stuff he's already read! UGH! .

in all honesty as a reader from such an age myself, love it, and enjoy it....

later in life he will develop a wider taste in books, myself at the age of 12 had probably read the same set of books 10 and even 15 times in some cases

for me it was a great guage for myself of how much i had grown up...

i used how the book effected me to tell if i had changed since the last time i had read such things.....

its something that doesnt always make sense, and if your worried about more bookshelf space, honestly get another book shelf and let him collect them. it may take untill he is 20 or so like it did me, but he will read them all, and be thankfull that someone got them all for him....

book are alot more than just enjoyment, they are an education in and of themselves, especially for vocabulary and very helpfull in discussions of just about any topic later in life.

he will widen his litarary pallet eventually, i promise, but for now its a usefull self analysis tool for himself, even if he doesnt realize it yet