What do you do with your kids when you're sick?...

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
My family has been hit really hard with colds this year. Someone in the family has been sick every week since February, and today it's my turn. I woke up with a terrible fever, body aches, sinus pain and sore throat. I really don't feel like doing anything.

I'm a stay-at-home mom with three kids, aged 5, 3, 1. Husband is working out of town all week, and though he could technically catch a flight back if needed, it would be lost income for us, so I'd rather not ask. So how does everyone else keep their kids "at bay" while they are recuperating? I don't have TV and I'm feeling too miserable to supervise them outside. I've been trudging through our daily routine, but I'm so tired... just want to lay in bed... but the kids are kind of young to entertain themselves, they can only nap for so long, and the baby is sick herself and therefore grumpier than me!

Ideas??

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I usually go for the TV route, haha. But if you dont have it then you cant do that.

Do you have any craft supplies you can just dump on the floor while you lay on the couch to watch them?

jack123

PF Enthusiast
May 9, 2012
Well the best is to ask a friend to come over for help. It is really difficult to manage yourself when you are sick for 3 days. You can call in for food and avoid cooking, that saves you the kitchen mess. Also you could actually put some television as many kids kind of are hooked to TV so they dont cry. But the best option is to have some friend over for a day or two to help you out.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
You could ask for help from a family member or friend. I usually just drug myself up on cold medicine and Tylenol or whatever and just go about my business because I've come to terms with the fact that moms aren't allowed to be sick lol. Of course, it's been a while since I've had that luxery considering my last almost two years have been preventing my use of cold medicine due to pregnancy and breastfeeding haha.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
TV is my bestfriend when I am sick. It's the only way I can get a break. Honestly beyond that and just asking family or friends for help; I have no clue what i would do.

I hope you feel better!

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
yeah I was pretty much the same with the TV and keeping my son busy with things to do in the same room so I can still keep an eye on him.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Fortunately my DD loves doing crafty things, so if you give her a box full of craft supplies, she can occupy herself for quite a while. This comes in really handy when I'm sick...

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Thanks guys. My older two occupied themselves just fine with drawing and coloring. Meanwhile the baby crawled around trying to eat the crayons and get into stuff. Go figure! I'm not even sure that a one-year-old would watch a TV, so I pretty much run into the inevitable problem of what to do with a child that needs constant supervision and cannot entertain herself without Mommy participating!

Xero, I'm with you on that! Just yesterday I realized that for the first time in years I was neither pregnant nor breastfeeding, and thus eligible for all the wonderful cold medicines I usually have to forfeit! Unfortunately, I don't even keep them in stock any more, and I just wasn't up to hauling everyone out to go shop for them. But next time...

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I may be in this situation very soon! My 5 year old has been throwing up for 2 days, and I'm REALLY hoping I don't get it! I hate it when I'm sick but the kids are bundles of energy.

My solution is usually TV, unfortunately. I don't like doing it, but it's all I can cope with. If the kids are showing no symptoms at all, then I've sometimes managed to find someone to look after them, but that's not always easy on short notice.

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
A friend just mentioned this, and I Googled it.

"40 ways to entertain your kids while lying down"

<I>Okay, for some reason, I can't get the link to work - it keeps changing the url to include some strange nonsense stuff. Anyway, just Google "40 ways to entertain your kids while lying down", and it's on the 'babycentre.com' site.</I>

Lots of good ideas in there! I think this is my favourite ...
This one is a winner – it's called "What's on my butt?" You lie face down on the couch and try to guess what object your kiddo has perched on your tush. "Is that a cement mixer on my butt?" Just getting to hear you say the word "butt" is the best thing that'll happen to your kid all day.

Last edited: