What do your kids do online?...

Aponder

PF Enthusiast
Here's an article for discussion. It presents a startling revelation about just what your kids might be doing online when you're not looking.

Is your daughter a cam whore?

So, the question stands... do you know what your kids are doing online?

I am very involved with my kids internet activity and I'll continue to be involved until they move out or get smarter than I am.

How about you other parents?

fallon

Super Moderator
my daughter is 6 so she goes to disney, noggin, PBS, and webkinz. we will always monitor her online activity though

Xero

PF Deity
Well obviously my son doesn't do anything with the computer besides pound on the keys, but once he's older.

He would certainly not have access to a webcam. You're asking your kids to do bad things by doing that. It's basically a VERY bad parenting move, giving your kids access to a webcam. I mean, it's not guaranteed that they'll abuse it, but it's likely enough that you might as well expect the worst. I think a lot of parents are very careless with their kids involving the internet. I know a lot of kids like that. It's very shameful, and their parents should be very embarassed.

I'm going to say that kids should be monitored fairly closely on the internet, just short of reading their personal messages and other such personal stuff that we don't need to know. However if my kids post a public blog, I feel that means I can read it. There's a line between keeping your kids safe and violating their privacy, you know.

But I bet any money you give this thread a little time and you'll have several people telling you that kids deserve all the privacy in the world and keeping an eye on them is mean lol. Sorry I don't think so. I guess I care too much about mine. :p

jayman

PF Enthusiast
<FONT font="Tms Rmn">My DS will be four in March - the common sites are brainpop, pbs, noggin, HIT's site, and tumble books. The computer is used here and there, and usually for not very long by DS. When he's older, he'll get computer time on a computer in full view. When he's even older, he'll have his own computer and I will monitor what I can, block what I can - but by that time I hope DW and I have taught him what he needs to be responsible and safe - not only online but in the world as well.

Even if you don't have a computer in your home, kids these days, and even more so in the coming years, will have access to technology like never before and it will be an essential part of everyday life.

Eventually we have to let our babies grow up and head to school on their own knowing - praying - that they understand why they shouldn't talk to strangers. I think the same applies online.

Of course, that's easier said than done - and I will definitely do my share of spying.

Xero

PF Deity
My kids wont be "grown up" and know just as well as I do right from wrong when they're teenagers. That part doesn't come until after they're already moved out and living like an adult. Just the way it is, a part of life. It's hard to act like an adult until you've been one.

I love my son and I think I'm a good parent, but I'm no superhero. A teenager is a teenager, and not even I can change that. I'd like to think a 16 year old can act like a grown up or always make the right decisions cause I taught him that way, but I know if I let myself think that way, I'd be oblivious to a lot of otherwise obvious stuff.

I hope all that stuff too. But I'm not going to wager my son's well being off of it.

Like I said, until he's on his own, I will never read his personal messages or anything mean like that. I will know what websites he's using, what media of himself he is sharing with the world, and whatever else dealing with himself that he makes public. I am very into the computer so things for him will be different than things were between my mom and me on the computer. I was raised using a computer, she wasn't. I grasp a concept so closely that she could never really get, and she constantly underestimated. A lot of people underestimate the internet. I've been using it since I was old enough to figure it out. My kids will too. We'll be on the same level, and things will be so much easier. I'm very attatched to the computer so I think he'll know I'll be fairly involved in whatever he's involved with. I have my own MySpace. Everything. I'm glad I'm in this situation as opposed to my mother's and the parents of other kids my age and some years younger or older. Very glad.

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Well, only my oldest is ready for the computer and he's only 3 so not too many worries yet. We have already taken steps to protect him though.

His computer is set up in the living room so in plane sight of us. Plus, my DH is a tech guy, so he set up the computer with Ubuntu (Linux), it's easier to lock down a computer running that OS. Although, I can tell my son will probably be a computer guru too. We had to have the computer dual boot windows as well since some of the learning software we have only works on Windows and Alex knows how to switch the compter between the two Operating Systems.

We've also booked marked the pages he's allowed to visit. So fisher price games, treehouse, Hotwheels. He's actually quite proficient from getting to game to game he plays.

The computer will stay in the living room until he's much older. I'm thinking 16. Sure, it can still be scary at that age, but hopefully, we will have educated him enough and have enough trust in him to allow him a little freedom and privacy.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
All Rebekah does in play games at the moment. When she is older im not going to monitor her internet usage with secret software, or sit behind her, or sneak into the history when she is at school. I know that I will trust her enough. However, the computer will remain in the loungeroom, computers do not go in bedrooms, or behind closed doors, they stay where anyone can take a glance.

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Xero said:
That's cute, I can't wait till Eli knows how to play games on the computer. :)
He's probably ready for button mashing now. That's how we started Alex. Here's the link to the FisherPrice Games .

The infant ones are basically peek-a-boo. But you hit buttons on the key board to make the animals and such appear. It's very cute. Just sit with him (of course ;) ) to make sure he doesn't get too rough with the computer. Plus he can explore the older games too. Alex has been counting to 20 and saying his alphabet for about a year now with the help of that site.

JessicaMadison

PF Enthusiast
Oh my. I hate webcams. The only thing that they are good for is to see family members who live far away or something. We don't like the kids going on the computer too much. You never really know when they are being sneaky. Not so much Alexis but Bailey and Hunter. They say they have homework but don't sometimes to go on the computer. We have a webcam. After seeing that, I'm going to disconnect it and hide it now! We do use it to see family members but I'll take it out for that specifically. We can't limit Hunter's internet activities. He has a laptop that he bought himself. He also bought the wireless router for himself. So we can't limit him too much.

Alexis goes on Webkinz and Disney.
The other two, who the heck knows. I know both go on Facebook.

bssage

Super Moderator
Ds plays games. The problem is request on DW laptop will pop up and he will try to resolve them without asking for help.

We will always moniter his activity.

I know I am going against the grain here. But I think letting kids believe anything on the internet is private is doing them a disservice. The internet is not now and will never be a private form of comunicating. Employers, police, schools and hackers can all view anything you have ever written/ done. I read new accounts all the time about kids getting in trouble for things they put in "my space" and the likes. A friend of mine son, an aspiring magician and was searching for how to make flash powder. within two days they had the ATF at their door, talking with the school ect. And we all know our employeers search for key words and watch where we go at work. Even at DS early age I drill into him that the internet is public. And not to do or say anything he would not feel comfortable doing or saying infront of us. JIMO

Xero

PF Deity
It wont let me give you rep bssage, but I would. :D

Nikita - No way!! I had no idea they had infant games on the internet! That's so crazy! Thank you so much for that link, I can't wait to let Eli try it out. I really appreciate it, that's wonderful. I'll definitely try it out cause he loves the computer but there hasn't really been anything for him to do for real on here. I used to let him hit buttons when it was off and stuff, but then when I wasn't looking he picked off some of my keys and I'm still missing one. (It's a laptop, they're those weird flat keys that don't go back on easy). But if he has something to do and he's sitting in my lap it should be fine (so I can tell him no if he picks at the keys).

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
bssage said:
Ds plays games. The problem is request on DW laptop will pop up and he will try to resolve them without asking for help.

We will always moniter his activity.

I know I am going against the grain here. But I think letting kids believe anything on the internet is private is doing them a disservice. The internet is not now and will never be a private form of comunicating. Employers, police, schools and hackers can all view anything you have ever written/ done. I read new accounts all the time about kids getting in trouble for things they put in "my space" and the likes. A friend of mine son, an aspiring magician and was searching for how to make flash powder. within two days they had the ATF at their door, talking with the school ect. And we all know our employeers search for key words and watch where we go at work. Even at DS early age I drill into him that the internet is public. And not to do or say anything he would not feel comfortable doing or saying infront of us. JIMO
:yes:

16th ave.

PF Addict
<I>(ya'll please excuse me if sound worse today than usual. been sick and sick again and the bugs and sudafed are messin w/me.)Tell you what: It<U> aint </U>gonna happen. I <U>wont</U> have it. I will go balistic! We, hubby and I, are very firm believers in keeping a close watch on our kids. Emmy (6) is only allowed on the computer when we say, not when she says. and Coco (4) aint allowed on it at all unless she's watching what Emmy does. Call us overprotective all anyone wants. But if we so much as find out either one of the them has a myspace or facebook page, webcams or whatever, they will loose every possible freedom they hold dear. They will get grounded, loose complete use of the computer, no phone use, Everything. Until they are 18 (or 17 or what ever legal age they can drop out of school) and pay their own bills and have done so, then what we say goes under our roof. It is our duty as parents to raise them to be responsible productive adults. Until they have become said adults it is also our responsibility to protect them as much as possible, if keeping them away from these things helps then so be it. There are ways to teach them to be responsible productive adults without the use of myspace/facebook pages, webcams and much computer use while giving them the freedom they need to grow and learn.

One more thing, thanks for bringing up some new sites for kids. Hubby and I have been looking for something new for Emmy. She's bored with the ones she does use....and those aint a many...
</I>

&lt;t&gt;As soon as your children become active online, that’s the time to educate them about cybercrime and cyberbullying and how to avoid being victimized.&lt;/t&gt;

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
Please stick to posting in threads less than 30 days old. I sent you a PM just in case you don't read this again. Thank you!

Lisay

&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE author="Nikita;77146"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
Nikita said:
&lt;/s&gt;He's probably ready for button mashing now. That's how we started Alex. Here's the link to the &lt;URL url="&lt;/s&gt;FisherPrice Games&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/URL&gt; .&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
The infant ones are basically peek-a-boo. But you hit buttons on the key board to make the animals and such appear. It's very cute. Just sit with him (of course &lt;E&gt;;)&lt;/E&gt; ) to make sure he doesn't get too rough with the computer. Plus he can explore the older games too. Alex has been counting to 20 and saying his alphabet for about a year now with the help of that site.&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;

&lt;LEFT&gt;&lt;s&gt;<LEFT>
&lt;/s&gt;&lt;LEFT&gt;&lt;s&gt;<LEFT>
&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Calibri"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;DD usually watches cartoons, plays some little games and does math worksheets in beestar on computer. Beestar is a cool website offering curricula based exercises. &lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;​
</LEFT>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/LEFT&gt;
&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Calibri"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;The game seems great! I’ll let DD try it soon. Thanks for sharing.&lt;E&gt;:D&lt;/E&gt; &lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;​
</LEFT>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/LEFT&gt;
&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Calibri"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Lisa&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;​
</LEFT>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/LEFT&gt;&lt;e&gt;​
</LEFT>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/LEFT&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

lizzy_09

I'd usually just open children sites like Sesame Street with my nephew, Zach and study and play with him. Any recommendations for kids 3 and up would be great. </SIZE>[/FONT]