What do your kids do when......

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
you're cooking? I try and get my oldest to help me out with stirring or something but sometimes it's something she can't really help with. She wont play in her room with her toys if I'm too far off and she'll play with her toys in the living room but will get distracted with something quickly and there is a HUGE mess of things everywhere. I've put in a video for her a few times and she'll play and sometimes look up and sing along or watch and then continue playing. I've recently broke her of a tv potato watching habit a few months ago...and I don't want to go back to that. But I keep thinking to myself a half hour or 45 minutes wont hurt too much. Any ideas on anything?

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
My kids play or watch a quick movie. I want them all to learn to cook, but I can't have them all in there at the same time, so we take turns. And on the fast, rushed nights, I tell them no one's allowed in my kitchen until dinner's ready.

Have you tried maybe putting some music on and letting her dance and bang around?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Mine will usually fight over the two chairs at the breakfast nook to sit at that counter and watch me because they know I will pick one of them to help me or I'll let them sit there and help.

Buy a small kids table and give them some pizza dough to play with, it's easy to make and they'll think they are doing something cool

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
Yea, we've put on music before...and she dances around...but she tries to dance in to her little sister...who is 4 months lol. So I get worried. Plus, she gets bored with that after a few minutes.

As for cooking, I'm scared of her eating the pizza dough haha. She has a small kids table, but I might have to try that with other foods too. That's a good idea though. :)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
my daughter plays in her room and bubba is usually sitting in the liovingroom watching the hoobs

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Oliver freaks out. He doesn't like it when he isn't getting 100% of my attention.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Lissa said:
Oliver freaks out. He doesn't like it when he isn't getting 100% of my attention.

I wonder where he learned that from. :rolleyes:

Bradley's almost 5, so he's at that age where he can do math homework or something for a good 30 minutes. After that I just let him play or watch TV. He usually just brings a toy and plays by the kitchen because he likes being around us.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
My girl usually does her arts and crafts at the dining room table while I'm cooking dinner, which is nice because we can chat about our day during that time.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
My girl's get the playdoh stuff out alot. My 2 oldest love to watch Rachel Ray so when I am cooking my 6 year old like's to play "Rachel Ray" with her playdoh. It is quite entertaining. They get out their little pretend food, pots and pans too. I put the toy kitchen set in the kitchen so they can do that too. Even my 18 month old likes to get in there and play.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
HappyMomma said:
My girl usually does her arts and crafts at the dining room table while I'm cooking dinner, which is nice because we can chat about our day during that time.
...or she stands right under you asking for a piece of butter on her finger.

(HM is my wittle wifey)