What do your kids like to do for fun?...

AmynKayla

PF Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2012
Canada
I mean other than park infront of the TV or video game?

Do they play sports, and if so, which ones? Kayla will watch other kids playing soccer (seems to be the thing to do at recess, etc), but will refuse to play herself. I think she'd love it if she would give it a try, but she just sits back and watches.

Any popular board games your kids like?

Do they like to draw, do crafts, sing, or dance?

I need some ideas of things to do with her that are maybe outside the box of the norm for her. Things that she might enjoy, either with me or on her own but I'd like to get away from the idea of parking her infront of the television. So I'm asking if anyone's kids enjoy things that would be appropriate for a 7 yr old. Amy

Maser

PF Regular
Sep 25, 2010
CA
Well, my youngest son is only 1 so he really doesn't do anything interesting other than typical babyish things. Oldest son on the other hand turns 6 next month. At school during recess he loves kickball and teatherball. His class recently learned how to do paper mache. Was funny his last project was like this ball on top of an egg with spikes coming out of it. I told him it looked cool and he said "you know what it is right?" I said I didn't, but I still thought it looked cool and he laughed and said he didn't know what it was either. Another thing him and I have been doing a lot of is rimfire rifle shooting. Last year for his 5th birthday I gave him my old bolt rifle I got when I was 7. This birthday coming up, I think he's ready for an autoloader like daddy has. He's not ready yet for dad's shotgun yet, but he's got a .410 that used to belong to me, then to his uncle (my little brother), then to him. But my boy likes the rifles better. He's also watched me dirtbike a lot and he wants one of his own. Not sure if it's a good idea though not because of his sakes, but mine because I have always wanted to ride those mini dirt bikes that are made for kids. We also enjoy freshwater fishing, but not until the weather warms up again.

AmynKayla

PF Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2012
Canada
Maser said:
his last project was like this ball on top of an egg with spikes coming out of it. I told him it looked cool and he said "you know what it is right?" I said I didn't, but I still thought it looked cool and he laughed and said he didn't know what it was either.
LOL sounds like your little guy has quite a sense of humor. Paper mache is a GREAT idea! I love it. Dirtbiking and guns is probably less up our alley. She'd have a blast mucking in paper mache though.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
My oldest son is really into jewelry making. He has a lot of beads, and stretch cord, and really enjoys laying them out and making them. I own a jewelry store, so it's not too surprising he has an appreciation for jewelry!! He sells them outside my shop on school breaks. She might enjoy something like that. You can probably go on ebay and get a pile of plastic, glass, or stone beads in a big lot. The elastic beading cord is a good bet for younger kids because they don't have to deal with clasps. We use little crimps to tie off the ends, but they can be tied as well. Get a beading board, it helps them lay it out and get the right length. Not a huge investment, and something that will last a long long time. riogrande.com has a lot of supplies. Little pricey, but a one stop shop for anything jewelry making.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
None of my kids are 7, but some of the hobbies in my household are

Horse riding
Gymnastics
Dancing
Musical instruments
Painting/drawing
Glass painting
Swimming
Yoga
Cooking
Sewing
Singing
Bike riding
Hiking
Jewellery making
Knitting
Robotics
Reading
Ceramics/pottery
General crafts

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I think she needs to explore and find her likes and dislikes. We have allowed time to play games (weekends only and 2 hrs per weekend day unless more time is earned) We also dont allow them to control the tv. They are allowed to watch a couple of "their show" but we watch what we want most of the time. Watch the news that usually pulls them away.

Given a choice both kids would rather do some kind of physical interaction with us rather than sit in front of the tube.

All the other advice is good. But I think the other posters will agree part of the fun is exploring things to find what interest them. When you find something that both of you like you will feel a spark. When you find stuff that your really not into suck it up and encourage them anyway.

Really what your talking about is the FUN part of having kids.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
me eldest discovered soccer at 7 and piano at 8. It's a great time to explore their "likes." My kids like to play board games and draw and creat things, whether with legos or clay or making books of their drawings. There's something about making little books that gives a feeling of permanace to their projects. I guess maybe we've done something right in placing value on "books."

i like encouraging them to do something physical, not so much that I think they're going to become professional atheletes or anything, but it's social and healthy and hopefully gives them a life long love of getting out and doing physical things.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
My 10 year old is all about video games, lego's and the computer, but he does go outside and play quite a bit.

My 7 year old like coloring, drawing, video games and playing outside. She's quite a little artist so we encourage that.

My 5 year old loves Lego's and anything the older ones are doing.

The 2 year old just likes to terrorize the older ones.

AmynKayla

PF Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2012
Canada
Thanks for the ideas! There are some great things to try. I hate to allow her to sit infront of the TV anyhow as she gets distracted and into whatever's on TV and forgets all else. There isn't a lot of engaging with TV either and I am hoping to do some things that encourage her to engage with me or the babysitter, or whomever. She loves to be read to, and will read to me, but would much rather I read to her.

Mom2many, I gotta say I LOVE the picture of your older son holding the little one. Very cute!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
AmynKayla said:
Mom2many, I gotta say I LOVE the picture of your older son holding the little one. Very cute!
Thank you, thats her favorite sibling and right after his first trip after leaving for college. He knows that whenever he comes home it is all about her. I know thag and his girlfriend knows that, they are super close so much so that when she was a baby he would sit up with her at night when she was sick because that is the only person she wanted. I always felt bad but he hated hearing her cry so he would just take her. Hes really good with all of the little ones and will make a great dad one day but for now its him and her. By the time he has kids of his own he will be a pro, all of them will be good hes just got that special touch.

AmynKayla

PF Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2012
Canada
mom2many said:
Thank you, thats her favorite sibling and right after his first trip after leaving for college. He knows that whenever he comes home it is all about her. I know thag and his girlfriend knows that, they are super close so much so that when she was a baby he would sit up with her at night when she was sick because that is the only person she wanted. I always felt bad but he hated hearing her cry so he would just take her. Hes really good with all of the little ones and will make a great dad one day but for now its him and her. By the time he has kids of his own he will be a pro, all of them will be good hes just got that special touch.
I dont think you should feel bad... if he didn't want to, he likely wouldn't have. He is obviously very grounded to be sitting up with his baby sister and lord knows what most other kids his age were up to. He sounds like a great kid. I mean honestly, what boy his age wants to hang out with his baby sister, and yet obviously he does. She is such a cutie and obviously has his number. LOL.

There's 23 yrs between Kayla and I and as much as I loved her, things in our family weren't good when she came along (not that they were good before she came along though). I could never stand her mother so was denied access a lot of the time. But I always knew where she was and wondered about her. I knew her mom would dump her off with anyone, so I'd often spend a little time with her when she was with her grandparents (they didn't want her and were more than happy for me to take her) or my dad. But I kinda wish things were like that for us... I bet your son has no trouble getting the little one to listen to him. Not that things were bad between her and I, but there was always tension when her mother was around. Amy

BabyAngel

PF Fanatic
Feb 6, 2012
Deux-Montagnes, Quebec, Canada
If I would let it happen, my 7 year-old daughter would spend 100% of her time in front of TV or computer. I force her to play to something else without the screens (monitors)... she always complains about it for 1 or 2 minutes at first, but then she is fine.

PetShop toys and Barbie are her favourite toys these days. She loves to ride her bike too and with the early spring we have, she's been doing a lot of it lately. A treat for her is when we go biking with her around the neighborhood.

During winter we regularly go ice skating as a family, she really enjoys it. Having a friend over for an afternoon is another treat for her.

We try to do as much activities as we can, it's not always easy as myself and my wife both work full time and are part time university students....plus our online store.... lots of work and not much "downtime" so we do the best of it !

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Amy, maybe consider the "I read to you, you read to me" series of books. Depending on how well she's reading they may be just right or she may be aging out of them. I think they run k-3...I've also done the same thing where I read a page and then he reads a page...

Momto6kids

Mar 25, 2012
mom2many said:
that's so great that your son as a special bond with his sister. My oldest is great with kids, has been his whole life, but with his sister who is 1, he is amazing with. He will drop anything to watch her if we need him. I love how all my boys have a connection with their sister:)

Andrew Vandalay

Apr 14, 2012
I think a good mix of activities is the best approach. Moderation with everything. TV can be fine, just not too much of it.

Our boy recently discovered couch cushions. Boy, does he LOVE making forts out of these cushions. It allows him to be creative and "build" things too. Try this, you won't be disappointed. Here are some good tips for fun cushion building times.

Take care.
AV

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
my kids tv time is so limited that its almost non existent. and video games, ya i took those away last year. i told them that their lack of interaction with other was unexceptable. now its all about the bikes! they love being out riding their bikes. my step-son (10) got his first bike and learned how to ride it on his own without training wheels just last year. his mom sheltered him so we had alot of firsts over the past year or 2. my daughter is odd, she likes the creepy stuff. so we visit cemetarys together. she likes to look at and read the headstones (occationally asking them if they would come up so she could have a pet zombie) my step-son likes to stargaze. there is a newer google app for the smart phones, google sky. you point your phone at a star and it tells you what it is. thats our new fav toy. and gardening. they both love to plant seeds and watch them grow. (however neither of them likes to tend the garden but they planted it they take care of it) and their ultamate favorite activity is outdoor rock shows in the summer. local cover bands and stuff, they go nuts for it. the baby, well he just does his own thing. he ususally spends his time rearranging my livingroom.