What does everyone think about Baby Borrowers?...

pmichellej

Banned
Jun 19, 2008
If you have teenagers are you going to get them to watch the show. I think it's meant to get teens to think before getting pregnant or having sex cause they give teens babies to show them what it's really like to take care of them. I think i'll be watching. i saw the commercial on nbc today. when does it start? and will you be watching?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I think I'll probably watch it once. I think the parents who are allowing their babies to be barrowed are a little nuts though. NBC is totally getting crazy with their programming. The ads for this show are horrible

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
I don't need to have my teens watch it. They already know how how hard a tot can be with their brother LOL!!

I have not seen the ads for it but hear people say how funny it looked though.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
We're planning to watch it here. DD, 15, doesn't really need it as "birth control," we're just watching it more for entertainment. DD has seen girls in her grade deal with becoming mothers, so she already knows what it's like, and she has NO intentions of getting into that situation.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
<r>Just watched several previews. I have to say I'm impressed thus far, and think this show will definitely encourage abstinence, at the very least, birth control. The teen parents are monitored via video and the real parents or a professional nanny can step in at any time to offer support or advice. In fact, the parts I liked best were when the real parents were giving advice and parenting tips to the overwhelmed teens.<br/>
<br/>
<URL url="</s>The Baby Borrowers – NBC Official Site<e></e></URL></r>

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
<r><QUOTE author="Trina;65038"><s>
Trina said:
</s>Just watched several previews. I have to say I'm impressed thus far, and think this show will definitely encourage abstinence, at the very least, birth control. The teen parents are monitored via video and the real parents or a professional nanny can step in at any time to offer support or advice. In fact, the parts I liked best were when the real parents were giving advice and parenting tips to the overwhelmed teens.<br/>
<br/>
<URL url="</s>The Baby Borrowers – NBC Official Site<e></e></URL><e>
</e></QUOTE>
<br/>
well that's good to know</r>

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
My first thought after seeing the commercials for it was "I would never do let them take care of my baby!" It could work but than it could backfire too. I know we did that stupid doll that cries and you put the key in it to stop it from crying in a class I took in high school. My kids are MUCH easier to deal with than that stupid thing was.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
ljmahr, at first I thought, "NO WAY would I let anyone borrow my kids," but felt better after reading this and watching the previews.

Baby Borrowers TV Show | Teen Parenting, Relationships, Volunteer Couples, Social Experiment | NBC.com

NBC's upcoming reality series "The Baby Borrowers" is an intriguing new social experiment based on the hit British program that asks five diverse teenage couples -- ages 18-20 -- to fast-track to adulthood by setting up a home, getting a job and becoming caring parents first to babies, toddlers, pre-teens and their pets, teenagers and senior citizens -- all over the course of three weeks.
As the social experiment begins, the five young volunteer couples are asked to literally grow up overnight when they are each given a home in a quiet cul-de-sac outside Boise, Idaho and attend pre-natal classes as each "mother" wears a simulated "empathy" belly to prepare them for the arrival of their "baby."
When a real baby (all aged six-11 months old) appears at their door -- courtesy of five pairs of real volunteer parents (some of whom were teen parents themselves) who entrust their infants to one of the couples -- the nervous, fumbling teens are in for three long, arduous days that make chilling out a distant memory. They must stick to rigid routines, handle the feeding chores, diaper duty and crying jags that might be shared by baby and teens -- all the while under 24-hour supervision by nannies and the real parents who are stationed next door, watching via monitor, and able to step in at any time. Plus, one teen from each of the couples must start a job, ranging from working in a local vet's office to a lumberyard, leaving the other alone as caregiver for the day.
After three surprising, intense days, each teen couple will bid bye-bye to the baby and receive a toddler as their fast-forward adult life progresses. They will have to cope with typical "terrible twos" behavior, including pouty tantrums, potty training and other messes. Three days later, the weary couples must face the reality of parenting several sassy pre-teens/"tweeners" at once -- each with a family pet in tow, adding to their responsibilities.
Seventy-two hours later, the teenagers arrive, thereby perhaps providing them with a mirror image of their own recent relationships with their parents. To complete the cycle of life, the experiment ends with as couples are graced with the opportunity to care for a senior citizen, including some with health issues, who represent what might be in store for them in the distant future.
Through this emotional, dramatic journey, each young couple will get a unique opportunity to peer into the future and see what they (and their partners) might be like if they remain together and decide to build a family. Tested by the everyday ups and downs of taking care of others and maintaining a relationship, most of the teens find themselves looking at all of their relationships and notions of parenthood in a new light.

pmichellej

Banned
Jun 19, 2008
Yeah, I had some concerns about the idea of loaning a child out but I know NBC was very responsible in arranging this. I'm pretty happy about this show and think it will be great for teens.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Trina said:
Just watched several previews. I have to say I'm impressed thus far, and think this show will definitely encourage abstinence, at the very least, birth control.
I think we should show Before and After Baby pics of my naked body to kids in Sex Ed. That would make them keep it in their pants more than any STD slide show would.

I haven't heard of the show and we don't get NBC. But I remember the pregnant girls in high school getting lots of attention. These teens get to hand the baby back when the show is done. Are they going to learn anything?

pmichellej

Banned
Jun 19, 2008
Ha Ha! That's great. Yeah, I think there are much better ways to scare them straight but it probably wouldn't make very good TV. I have a feeling they will be showing this show in high school sex ed classes. keep those kids with their clothes on.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Sirk said:
I think we should show Before and After Baby pics of my naked body to kids in Sex Ed. That would make them keep it in their pants more than any STD slide show would.

I haven't heard of the show and we don't get NBC. But I remember the pregnant girls in high school getting lots of attention. These teens get to hand the baby back when the show is done. Are they going to learn anything?

LOL at the before and after pics. I hear ya! ;)

Sirk, did you watch the previews? I think the experience will make an impact on the teens involved. Perhaps not all, but most.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Teens had pact to get pregnant

Gloucester school officials have discovered at least part of the reason that their high school pregnancy rate has more than quadrupled over the past year, according to a Time magazine story that hits newsstands today.

"Nearly half the expecting students, none older than 16, confessed to making a pact to get pregnant and raise their babies together," the magazine's story said, after reporters talked with Joseph Sullivan, Gloucester High School principal.

Seventeen girls at the 1,200-student Gloucester High have gotten pregnant over the school year, more than four times the average number. The spike has shocked and baffled education and health officials there and reignited a fierce debate about contraception in schools. But many told the Globe last month that the most alarming facts were that a significant portion of the expecting girls were 16 and younger and that some seemed to be intentional.

"More students are coming in and asking about pregnancy testing," the city's public health director, Jack Vondras, told the Globe last month. "What's odd is that some of them are disappointed because they're not getting pregnant."

In addition, at least some of the men involved in the pregnancies are in their mid-20s, a fact that prompted Mayor Carolyn Kirk of Gloucester to ask about statutory rape charges at last month's School Committee meeting.
I think we're screwed.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
oh hey... the OP is also Think86 who has already been banned for spamming.

why you gotta make me IP ban? it's a pain in the arse.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
sorry sirk...I banned the OPs other account and sent her a warning along with an infraction. I was hoping that would be enough

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
fallon said:
sorry sirk...I banned the OPs other account and sent her a warning along with an infraction. I was hoping that would be enough
no worries. they're paid to "telemarket" forums. just boot em.

I don't mind people talking about the show. but we don't need 3 threads on it.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Trina said:
LOL at the before and after pics. I hear ya! ;)
"Girls, if you let a guy stick his junk in your lady business you will end up like this."

See... now THAT'S scary. :eek:

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I don't think it will do any good because most kids know that they only show parts that they want you to see so they will probably think it's not real anyway. You know the parents are standing by on camera.
The babies are the easy part. Let them parent teens. LOL Now that I'd watch

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
musicmom said:
I don't think it will do any good because most kids know that they only show parts that they want you to see so they will probably think it's not real anyway. You know the parents are standing by on camera.
The babies are the easy part. Let them parent teens. LOL Now that I'd watch
They're doing that as well. They get three days each with babies, toddlers, preteens (complete with pets), teens and senior citizens.