What does everyone think about......

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
JURY DUTY! lol:arghh:

I was just called to do my service this week. I was summoned to Criminal Court 45 miles away!! I really wouldn't mind JD at all except that they seem to send you so far out of your area.

We have a bunch of county courts within 20 miles from me. Which would have made the whole experience much less stressful. I ended up being dismissed which disapointed me a little, but to think if I had to do that run for a week and a half was really upsetting. That would have been 90 miles a day ... I went through half a tank in 2 trips, and the cost of gas is so high.

Oh well I'm good for 6 years anyway.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
They tend to send you a little distance away to reduce your chances of knowing anyone in the case, as that has the possibility of making you biased. Here if it was that far away they would put you up in a hotel, do you get paid for jury service where you live?

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Yes Jeremy
In New York if you are employed and your employer has more than 10 employees he is required to pay you full days pay for the first 3 days you are on jury duty, if you are still on JD after 3 days, the court pays you $40.00 per day.

If you are not employed the court pays you $40.00 per day,for as long as your service is requested until they dismiss you.

Where I live, I've never heard of anyone being put up in a motel or hotel to serve jury duty unless they were sequestered during deliberations.
Interesting! Do you get paid to serve on JD?

I should also mention that this is for County court. Payments may vary depending on the court. ie..State, county, federal. Local and town courts have different rules.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
M2m I remember when Max was younger I was excused from all JD until he was 16.

I was just reading about how to be excused,and on this summons it allows for only 3 reasons :
1. Caregiver which includes children under 16.
2. Elderly/Infirm must show medical proof.
3. Student. Must show proof as well.

You are only allowed one postponement in your lifetime too, which is not the same as being 'excused'. I tried but found out I already used mine. lol but the postponement only puts it off for 6 months,you still have to serve.

This summons also makes it very clear that there are NO longer any exemptions and everyone who is eligible must serve.

On our panel we had a police officer who was angry because he knew they were going to eventually dismiss him, and sure enough they did. So he had to show up for 3 days there knowing that they were just going to let him go.

The defense attorney certainly didn't want him as a juror.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
NancyM said:
Yes Jeremy
In New York if you are employed and your employer has more than 10 employees he is required to pay you full days pay for the first 3 days you are on jury duty, if you are still on JD after 3 days, the court pays you $40.00 per day.

If you are not employed the court pays you $40.00 per day,for as long as your service is requested until they dismiss you.

Where I live, I've never heard of anyone being put up in a motel or hotel to serve jury duty unless they were sequestered during deliberations.
Interesting! Do you get paid to serve on JD?

I should also mention that this is for County court. Payments may vary depending on the court. ie..State, county, federal. Local and town courts have different rules.
You get paid here, but your employer does not pay you, I'm not sure how much it is but it covers financial loss, travel costs, hotel costs and food costs, if you have children it also covers your childcare costs while you are doing your jury duty. Your employer is not allowed to ask staff to use their holiday or sick days either, to account for your time off.

There are quite a few exemptions here, a criminal record, current or past mental illness, being over 70, religious beliefs or a pre-booked holiday which has already been paid for or for an important family date, e.g. funeral, of course you need proof otherwise everyone would have a stupid excuse.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Wow you get well compensated Jeremy, We don't even get reimbursed for gas mileage!

The judge however, has the right to let you go if you feel it will be an undue financial hard ship. He does ask this in the begining.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
My husband has been called twice and both of the companies he worked for at the time paid you if you are called to jury duty.

I haven't been called yet but Idaho has a no exemption law...period.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
When I lived in Michigan I got called twice. It wasn't too bad, I lived three or four blocks from the court house. All I did was sit in a room waiting, so I never actually got to do anything, but I brought some books and just hung out for awhile.

Where I am now...well, it would totally SUCK to be called. We have to go to another island. Which means taking a ferry and a taxi. They give you $25 a day, and that doesn't even cover travel costs. And the ferry only runs on the hour. If you have to be there at 8am, you'd probably have to take the 6am ferry to make sure you were on time. MAN! I hope I don't ever get called.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I just don't understand how they call people in the first place. I called them and asked once because my husband and I get called very often.

The girl told me it's strictly random, but it can't be because like I said we get called every time our duration is over. for instance I shouldn't be called for county court for another 6 years, yet when that time is up I'll be called to serve again.

My husband gets called every 4 yrs for Federal court, and is usually sent to
Brooklyn which is so far our of our way. I got called twice for Federal court one time they didn't need me and the other time I asked my dr to write me a note to excuse because I just had foot surgery.

But we get called all the time. How is that random? I also know many people who never get called. :frown:

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I have only been called for Jury Duty once, but was excused because I'm not an American citizen. (Legal Resident Alien). DH was called once but never did end up going. I can't remember what the details were.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
I've been called for duty 3 times. I was dismissed twice and served as the alternate juror the other time. My father just got summoned for Federal Jury duty in a city about 45 minutes away. He will not be attending due to medical issues but they required doctor's info/approval before he could be excused.

kyepes479

Banned
Apr 29, 2011
You can always try calling and saying that attending jury duty would be financially devastating for you and your family because you would be missing work. Sometimes they dismiss you from having to attend.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I don't know, DH and I have never been called for it yet. I have no idea how it even works or anything like that. I would be pretty peaved if they thought I should drive 90 miles a day to do it though. :/ Wtf.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I think that's the only draw back Xero, other wise I enjoyed it, and think you would too. It puts you in an important position, and you really get to be a part of the justice system. The first day I was scared.
But it gets easier, and you make friends. I went out for lunch with two other ladies, and It was kind of nice.

I was just noticing that the gas went up to $4.19 on Wednesday,(Tuesday it was $4.09 lol) this week, and they say it will raise a bit more over the weekend, it certainly would have hurt me in gas expense.;)