what is the food that you would die before you would eat?...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
oh, and Jessica, have you tried sushi? Up until a couple of years ago I would have said the same thing, but I fins I do like some of it quite abit, and I'm not much of a fish person....Just saying, if you haven't tried it, consider trying just a little yellowfin sashimi and see what you think.

JessicaMadison

PF Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2008
Haha IAdad it was kind of interestingly disgusting. I should tease Alexis tonight and tell her we're having bat soup. She would freak out.

Nope I haven't tried sushi. I have been kind of curious about it though. My oldest son likes sushi so maybe I should just give it a try! One day when I feel adventurous I'll do it. I think my hubby might not be opposed to it. But Lexie, oh gosh that kid is picky. Is there any kid friendly sushi IAdad? Yellow sashimi? What is that exactly? :)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
JessicaMadison said:
Haha IAdad it was kind of interestingly disgusting. I should tease Alexis tonight and tell her we're having bat soup. She would freak out.

Nope I haven't tried sushi. I have been kind of curious about it though. My oldest son likes sushi so maybe I should just give it a try! One day when I feel adventurous I'll do it. I think my hubby might not be opposed to it. But Lexie, oh gosh that kid is picky. Is there any kid friendly sushi IAdad? Yellow sashimi? What is that exactly? :)
well, first of all, I'm no sushi expert, but I'll share my experience. For the longest time I thought sushi would be gross and gag me. I didn't particularly like fish, so the though of the smell and taste of raw fish was repulsive to me. But, thanks to some peer pressure, I tried some and founf that good fresh sushi really doesn't tast fishy at all. The other thing I learned is that there's a lot of different sutff in the sushi worl (and a few websites out there for "sushi for beginners." Basically, sashimi just means the fish without anything rolled around it. You can dip it in some soy sauce or have a bit of wasabi with it if you want to "season it." I think tuna (maguro), is the best for beginners. It tastes "meatier" and less fishy, you probably want to avoid saba (makeral) it's more of an acquired taste. Some people like to start out with something in a roll (maki) because you don't have a hunk of raw meat staring you down. Personally, I like sashimi better because I'm not big on some of the stuff they roll into maki (like cucmber and avacado) and kelp can be a little bit of a new taste, altough it's not bad, it's just kinda salty and "grassy." The folks at your local sushi bar should be able to steer you the right direction if you tell them you're new to it. Yellowfin is a type of tuna, so is bluefin, they're both pretty tasty and good for beginners

mikek

Banned
Oct 3, 2010
Hands down...Durian fruit. I have smelled it and dabbed in on my tongue and it is repulsive!!!

Veelana

Oct 1, 2010
IADad said:
well Jessica, you can't say I didn't warn you....;-)

and single dad, 73 million...all to be eaten? That's one for every 92 people, and I assume there are some folks out there who must eat a lot of shark. Compared with 1- 1.2 Billion head of cattle slaughtered each year, it doesn't seem so bad, but of course not many people are raising shark are they...so is there a shortage of shark? Not saying you're wrong, just don't have any sense for the numbers. If we're in danger of wiping out the shark or screwing up some eco-system, then by all means boycott Shark tail soup, I just don't know about it.
The "International Action Plan for Sharks" initiated by CITES and the FAO (Food and Agricultural Organization) have established that:
<LIST type="decimal">

1. <LI>
  2. more than 100 out of 400 shark species are being commercially exploited</LI>
    <LI>
  3. many of these shark species are so overexploited that even their long-term survival can no longer be guaranteed</LI>
    <LI>
  4. a serious monitoring and control program is lacking for international shark trade.</LI>
</LIST>Source: Endangered Shark Species

They aren't all killed to be eaten, ther's other reasons. I found a list here: ENDANGERED SHARK
I hope that helps :)

Oh, and the food I'd never eat is 100 year old egg, any form of bird embryo, really - after we dissected a three day old chicken embryo I couldn't eat eggs for weeks...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
thanks for the info, that whole finning thing is pretty distasteful and irresponsible.

Sorry to question it, but living in an agricultural area, I'm alwasy pretty cautious of the "hype" surrounding a lot of animal issues. Thanks for the information.

Veelana

Oct 1, 2010
no problem, I'm always weary of hypes, too - but a lot of the animal issues realy are issues :)

biru

Oct 25, 2010
Indonesia

1. <LI>
  2. more than 100 out of 400 shark species are being commercially exploited</LI>
    <LI>
  3. many of these shark species are so overexploited that even their long-term survival can no longer be guaranteed</LI>
    <LI>
  4. a serious monitoring and control program is lacking for international shark trade.</LI>
</LIST>Source:

They aren't all killed to be eaten, ther's other reasons. I found a list here:
I hope that helps :)

Oh, and the food I'd never eat is 100 year old egg, any form of bird embryo, really - after we dissected a three day old chicken embryo I couldn't eat eggs for weeks...[/quote]

Hi everyone. First post here.

I'd probably get slagged but I'm an Indonesian born Chinese and I love shark fin soup.

The food that I'll never touch is an Asian fruit named Durian. The smell is just plain disgusting. Thankfully my hubby doesn't like it as well because a lot of people do, including my parents and siblings.

P.S. removed the links in the quoted post as I'm not allowed to post links yet.

biru

Oct 25, 2010
Indonesia
IADad said:
so, I'd have to say some of those weird asian foods, like scorpion, or sea horses or the foods featured at this interesting site:

warning, not to be viewed within an hour of consuing any meal.
Just browsed that site. Good God. *cringes, winces*

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
liver and any fish other than fried catfish.
the rest i'd be more than happy to eat if a certain amount of money was involved.

Venezia

PF Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2010
Northampton, UK
biru said:
Just browsed that site. Good God. *cringes, winces*
Agreed - so glad I had lunch quite a while ago!

Leaving aside the obviously-gross foods such as the ones on that list, and that tinned (Scandinavian??) fish which is actually banned on airlines (thank you Stephen Fry for that gem!), my day-to-day icksome foods are eggs (especially runny ones - ewww!), horseradish (am I allowed to say arse-radish on here?!), and oysters.

When I used to eat meat, I managed to gross myself out every time I had rare steak; I loved the taste of it but after one mouthful, my brain would be telling me, "It's almost raw y'know - isn't that a little disgusting?"! I was such a cheap dinner date! :biggrin:

Venezia

PF Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2010
Northampton, UK
Fabster said:
In some parts of Norway, boiled sheep head is considered a real treat. I don't agree :)
To be honest, I'd rather people ate/used every part of an animal than throw the more unsavoury bits away. To me it seems to devalue an animal to not use every part of it. Of course, as a non-meat eater, it's probably easy for me to say that, but I have always been of that opinion (and there is some very good meat on a sheep's head).

I wonder how many 'delicacies' originate from times of famine, or near-famine? I know that in countries where historically food has been scarce, they tend to still eat things we'd consider completely unacceptable (cat, dog, rotten fish, etc), despite no longer having to. I suppose it's just so deep in the culture that it's not something people want to give up.