What to do when you disagree with teachers?...

Pinkbook

Oct 12, 2008
My daughter has been having a bit of trouble on math. Personally, I think the teacher's approach is all wrong. She has a much better grasp on the idea when my husband help her and explains to her. This has steadily kept on happening and it has me wondering about the teacher's approach on the subjects. In other words I don't have much faith in her style. I, off course, have not said this to my daughter but both my husband and I agree that many times she goes all wrong. There are other issues that have aroused over the year that also has had me in complete disagreements with her style, but I have hold my tongue.

What do you all do when you don't agree with a teacher teaching style? Do you tell her? My daughter has kept good grades thanks to me and my husband watching and explaining the subjects, so there has been no need for a meeting. However, the road has not been easy. I think at this point I'm almost homeschooling her with the difference that she goes to a regular school during the day.

I feel terrible :embarrassed: because I don't like to trash teachers but I just have so many issues with this one that I just need to vent. :speechmumbles:

~ladyrev~

Nov 19, 2008
Iowa
Try talking to the teacher about your daughters learning style. There are 4 different learning styles. Not everyone learns the same. You can try to find out your daughters style and talk to the teacher about doing a little bit of teaching for for her style and explain your reasoning in a nice way. The Four Learning Styles in the DVC Survey See if this website helps and if it don't just research learning types.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Personally, id speak to the principal about your daughters issues and see if they can run an in-service on different learning styles.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
IMHO

Ask her if you can audit the class. Its encouraged in our school. After you do that look at her seniority and what the class scores are. Then you will have the ammo (or not) to go to the next level. You are more likely to be taken seriously and get results if you have done your homework.

SMR

Dec 17, 2008
Oregon
This has been an issue I've dealt with. Firstly, let me recommend not letting it get to the point where a meeting HAS to occur. In my sons school, I can ask his teacher for a meeting at any time, not just if there is a problem.

Set up a meeting so that the teacher can get to know the support system your child has at home, you can ask her questions about where Math fits into her day, how much time they spend on it, how much individual attention each child receives when doing work, etc. I'd also ask for a sylibus if you haven't already recieved one.

Most teachers LOVE for parents to get involved in their childs education. Any teacher that discourages you from getting involved is not looking out for the best interests of the child.

I had concerns with my sons Kindergarten teacher, so I made sure to start things off correctly from the beginning of his First Grade year. Make sure you meet the teacher face to face so he/she knows that you are interested in his schoolwork and involved and are not just letting the teacher have his way with your childs education. I also make sure to email his teacher weekly, and anytime an issue comes up that needs discussion. She has commended me for opening and maintaining the lines of communication.

I would recommend not running to the principal unless you can not reconcile things with the childs teacher first. Doing so will make her teacher feel like you are undermining her, or being on of those trouble-making overbearing parents that gives an otherwise helpful and caring teacher the urge to call in sick more often than not.

Of course, if the teacher refuses to communicate or re-evaluate his/her style of teaching, then by all means take it to the next level. It is your childs education and confidence after all.