What to do?!...

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
DS's 12th birthday is this Tuesday. He has not given us any gift ideas. I just asked him again, "Ty, your birthday is this week and you never told us what you wanted." His reply, "I can't think of anything." Argh... We don't go over board with birthday gifts, but we like to get them a little something. He is so hard to shop for. I suppose I could get him a gift certificate to Game Stop or something but that seems so impersonal. He likes to draw but already has loads of drawing pads, pencils, etc. from past birthday and Christmas gifts. He also likes to read but still hasn't spent book store gift certificates. I'm stumped.

His only birthday requests are to make him an apple pie instead of a birthday cake and to invite a few of his friends to see the movie <I>STAR WARS: The Clone Wars</I> when it comes out. SURE kiddo, but give me a little more to work with. LOL!

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
I think those are the sweetest requests. You can never go wrong with cash. He a great kid isn't he? :)

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Thanks, 1day. He is a great kid. :) A kid who is tight with his money. I often borrow from the "Bank of Tyler". LOL! In fact, last month I checked his wallet and counted $500! :eek: He now has a savings account. He informed us he's saving for a car. "It will take me a few years to save up enough for a decent car."

He likes video games but thinks long and hard and does research on reviews, etc. before spending his money. I saw him eyeing Guitar Hero, but when I asked if he wanted it for his birthday he said, "Well, I'm still researching and deciding if I want it or not." :rolleyes: I guess I can't go wrong with a gift certificate. There will be <I>something</I> in Game Stop he wants but isn't willing to buy with his own money. LOL!

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
He's probably researching Guitar Hero versus Rock Band...I'd go with the gift certificate. If he's a video game guy like me, he'll like a subscription to Game Informer magazine, which is put out by Game Stop.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
You actually get a free subscription for it when you sign up for Game Stop's club. You also get 10% off of all used games. It used to only cost $10.00 for half a year but it has been a while since I was a member.

Game Informer is a great magazine. I finally quit getting it becuase I didn't have time to play the games I was drooling over.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I think we already get Game Informer. :) As I said, DS thinks long and hard before making purchases, especially expensive games. I hope some of that rubs off on DD. LOL!

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Trina said:
Thanks, 1day. He is a great kid. :) A kid who is tight with his money. I often borrow from the "Bank of Tyler". LOL! In fact, last month I checked his wallet and counted $500! :eek: He now has a savings account. He informed us he's saving for a car. "It will take me a few years to save up enough for a decent car."
Good for him!

Product Categories
? :D

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I'd go with gift card....that way when he's done "researching" (BTW that's way to cute) he can get whatever he wants

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Thanks, everyone. A Game Stop gift certificate it is! It will be interesting to see what he picks out.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
Oh Trina! You sound like such a lucky mom to have such a sweet and responsible kid. :) Saving up for a car at 12? Wow!

I have to agree, whenever I was 12 I loved getting cash for my birthday so I could go out and buy whatever I wanted and didn't have to worry about not liking a gift.

judy

Aug 12, 2008
I agree! I have a 12 year old girl who thinks nothing of spending every penny she gets on nonesense. Kudos to your son for wanting to save up! :)

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
What a cutie:)
One thing you could give him as just a little something in addition to the gift voucher if you are concerned about it being a bit impersonal is something with a special tradition attached. Like this year i got my niece a charm bracelet. I plan to add to it every year.
I know it is harder with boys but you coud get a cross if you are religiously inclined, or perhaps his grandpa has a good watch that he hands down to the boys in the family. Or even just a special note about what a special guy he is
Good luck

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
You mentioned you son is a great saver, what about a coin set? He doesn't spend them, he can have it to display and they would actually increase in value over time. Something that seems to fit your sons personality. He might actually get into coin collecting too, it might be something he likes.