What You Need to Consider with Childcare?...

jollysmith123

Banned
Jun 5, 2012
La Quinta,CA
The schools where you choose to have your preschooler or kindergartner spend a significant portion of their day matters a lot. When exploring your childcare options, there are several things to keep in mind before you select the facility. Share your views and references.

Amarna

Mar 25, 2013
NY State
My daughter just started kindergarten this school year and was in preschool two years before that. For me the educational opportunities were very important as well as the teacher to child ratio. My daughter can sometimes be very hyper and needs to be under the care of someone who understands that and has strategies to cope with it. We went with a Montessori program for preschool and they were awesome. I would have stuck with that program if it wasn't so expensive, unfortunately there is only one school around here with that educational philosophy and they don't offer financial aid, we just couldn't afford it.

We tried the public school for a few months and the classes were overcrowded (25 kids to one teacher!) and the school didn't really have the resources to address my daughter's needs, after just a few months they wanted to put her on medication even though we had managed just fine prior to this and her pediatrician said it wasn't necessary. So we then went to a Catholic school. I'm not a Catholic, not even a Christian so was a bit concerned about the religious aspect but really they're not pushy at this age and the focus is really on morality and basic bible tales, which are important to know in this society anyway. They've been wonderful with my daughter, they expect kids to be kids, not to just sit around like drones all day and they have the resources to give my daughter the attention she needs.

Flowers

PF Regular
Mar 21, 2013
I have this feeling that most schools are out to please the parents and they really do not offer what is expected of them.

scarletjones

Banned
Apr 10, 2013
California
Really this is very important to choose a school for your child because this time defines his life , really a child can become great or nothing and all these things depend on primary education.

Mattbatson

May 22, 2013
Deltona, fl
scarletjones said:
Really this is very important to choose a school for your child because this time defines his life , really a child can become great or nothing and all these things depend on primary education.
do you have any scientific links to support this?

yunihara

PF Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2010
Nebraska
scarletjones said:

Does the ability to be great really depend on primary education?

Don't get me wrong, I think primary education is important, as with any other aspect of education, but when I think about my own development, the most defining years of my life started in Middle School. I'm sure its different with everyone. My determination to do my best in high school was solely based on the <I>culture</I> I was born in, and not really the schools I went to as a young child. I don't even remember much before middle school. I do remember, however, the emphasis my <I>parents</I> had on doing the best I could.

I went to fairly exclusive primary and middle schools, and went to a public USA high school. As for my own children, they attend a small, private school because I like the curriculum and the teaching staff, as well as the size. The children can have more one-on-one with the staff and the education there is flexible and will work with the personalities of the children. My biggest gripe about my own experience with public high school was the expectation of the students all being the same, therefore learning the same. I didn't want that for my own kids. It takes some trial and error.

As for this whole primary education is the most defining aspect of a child's life, I have to disagree. A person's worth isn't necessarily tied to their education level, or how they were educated, really. I have friends who dropped out of high school but are great people, who work hard and love their families. They don't need to make oodles of money and be brilliantly smart to be great. Even if a child has a great primary education, it doesn't confirm that they'll be awesome people 10 years after fact. A person's development is derived from many aspects of life, and only one of them is their education.

What defines someone's life varies from person to person. Tragedy has seemed to define me more than my schooling experience. A friend, being abused by his father defined his life. My wife's immigration to the United States was the most defining time in her life. School contributes to who we are, but it doesn't make us who we are.

I feel like I'm saying education isn't important and you should just throw your kids into a school. I'm not saying that, and I think its important to pick a school that fits best with your child if you can. I had to do research, tours schools and talk to other parents before finding one we liked, and even then, we paid close attention to how the children were doing in the school. We seem to have found a good fit and the kids all enjoy the school and feel motivated. We're not Christians but the kids go to a Christian school. The kids ask us questions about that aspect of it from time to time, but its a great opportunity to teach them about acceptance, respect and tolerance of people with other views.