What's in your medicine cabinet?...

JCL

Apr 16, 2008
California
I don't want to be unduly alarmist, but I just read the article, "The Killer in your Medicine Cabinet," in the May 2008 issue of Ladies Home Journal. Apparently (and it's been in the news a lot) kids are raiding medicine cabinets and passing prescription drugs around to their friends.

In this article, two good teenage boys, age 15, went to their school's homecoming dance, came home, went to sleep, and never woke up. The parents and authorities found out that they'd each taken 2 to 3 methadone tablets and it was enough to overdose them. Some kid had stolen the pills from his grandmother (it's used to treat rheumatoid arthritis), and was passing them out.

This story freaked me out so much, my husband and I sat down with our 10-year-old the next day to talk about it. It was only two to three pills!

Kids think it's okay, because the medicine has been prescribed by a doctor.

So another thing for us to worry about (but if we talk to our kids about it before they come across it, hopefully they'll do the right thing).

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
My ex-MIL visited once and she is prescribed sleeping pills. Shortly after her visit, Dd (about two at the time) was found holding a small pill that looked like it had been licked. I'm pretty sure it was one of the sleeping pills and it scared the heck out of me.

I then talked to her about medicines and what to do if she were to ever find some, to this day she will bring whatever she finds to me and say "hey, I found this" We are extremely careful about leaving medicine laying about so it's usually an antacid.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I have a lot of things that could kill my children if they digested them however I have educated them and they know what could happen. They know what to touch and what not to. THey know the dangers. I do put my prescribed medication up high for now. When they become older I'm sure I will lock it up just in case. I will never think "oh my kid wouldn't do that" I can only educate them.