What's wrong with curly and full hair?...

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
It's across the board. Those with curly, full hair have experienced unfair judgement and discrimination. Whether not getting that job because your is considered "not work appropriate" or "conservative" enough, or the teachers having a talk with the parents because they think said child's hair is "unkempt" and demanding the parent have the kid's hair straightened or cut off.

My hair turned very curly and fuller in my late 20's. A year or 2 after my daughter's hair turned curly and voluminous, very quickly to the point I was taken off guard and unsure how to take care of it or what to do.
It took years of coaxing and convincing my daughter that her hair is beautiful no matter what it looks like. I have to admit, it did look like a rat's nest and a couple of hours to straighten. She doesn't like her hair up or anything in it. Not the point. She is older now, and is taking care of her own hair and refuses to have it straightened. She wears her spirals with pride and confidence.
The whole family, grandparents included, have helped with tips and recommended products to try and tame the beastly coif. We've taken her to many salons for consultations, cuts and styles. Some stylists gawk and gape. I have had to pay for an adults cut and style just because of the amount of hair. Apparently, age is just a number at that level of tresses.
We've broken combs and brushes. Cut a chunk of hair out to free a round brush she managed to bury in tangles. Bought many detanglers, turning the floor beneath us into a skating rink. We no longer touch THE hair.
In a previous school, her teachers were trying to convince me that I should cut off all her hair just because it's curly and that's what her teacher did with her own curly hair. Then they wanted to start grading her based on appearance.

My own experience has been rather odd. I like to straighten my hair just out of preference. It feels like putting on a freshly ironed shirt.
I was doing this so often, some naïve co-workers and a dim-sighted supervisor were shocked when I came to work without it flat-ironed and started asking if I permed my hair. One time, my supervisor gave me a strange, weirded out look and asked if that was my natural hair texture.
Then another time, I decided to try some mousse in my hair and keep it down. I was trying to get it to look like Lorde's. Instead, by the time I got to work it resembled a huge lion's mane. I noticed a co-worker tried complaining to my supervisor and she just said that she kinda liked my hair.

My mom has told me she experienced people complaining and making comments on her curly/wavy hair, that she spends time getting perfect every morning.

Not even in just my family do I hear of judgement and discrimination on curly hair. I've heard of people losing their jobs, not getting hired, etc just because they have full, thick, curly hair.

babybibsplus

PF Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2016
Let your daughter do what she wants with her hair. As long as she is happy that's all that matters.