When another kid is in trouble...

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
So my niece (12) has mentioned a boy she wants to be her "boyfriend". He does not go to school with her friends and lives in a kinda rough nearby neighbourhood. I agreed but told her I would have to meet his mom first. So we went to his "house" after school on friday to see if he could come over for a while to paly video games. We found him living in literal squalor. There were no adults there & he did not know where they were as the had been gone "a few days" there was no food anywhere any everything was dirty. I asked him to come over for dinner & then sent him for a "sleepover" at my brother's house. We washed his existing clothes & got a few cheap sweaters & a warm coat from the local shop for him. Now what??

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
He seems sweet. Very quiet. I am actually more concerned for his welfare than anything. I have strcit ground rule about how much alone time my niece gets with any boy & he is no exception but am concerned about sending him home. Should we call the authorities, or wait & speak to his parents first. I have never really agreed with interfering in the way others raise their kids but I also cant concieve of a 12 year old left in a house for an indefinite period of time with no money or food.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Did he say when his parents are coming back? Are they coming back? I would give it a few more days and if they arent back call child services.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
He doesnt know but told me "its cool I can usually take care of myself" which indicates this happens a lot. This kid i discovered feeds himself when mom is "away" by paying the pizza guy in grass. So OK time to call the authorities i think. Father of 6 your a cop right? I have been hesitant because I have heard some pretty horrendous things about the foster system. Are the rumors well founded? I am wondering if I should try and find out if he has any stable relatives & go down that road first.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
it sounds like you should call the cps. but if there's anyway possible--then maybe put yourself out there for him like ya did with the clothes but on a larger scale. that way he maybe doesn't end up in the system and possibly worse off than he already may be...

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Call child services, they will find out if he has any responsible relatives.
Foster care can be hell but he doesnt need to be where he is right now. From what it sounds like, he needs to be taken away from his parents until they can actually be good parents.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
we called cps, they located a Grandmother who lives locally but is estranged. The cps lady agreed to let my brother keep him for now until something gets sorted out. The Grandma is coming for dinner tomorrow night. His parents are not in the state & plan to get back sometime next week. The poor kid does not get what all the fuss is about. i guess the poor little guy doesnt see this abandonment as out of the ordinary.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
that's good. and good that ya'll are so willing to help this boy out. sometimes people are too afraid to do that and it just ends up in disaster. so that's good--what ya'll done...

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
to be honest I want to slap these people. I just dont understand how even once it would be concievable to just take off and leave your kid with no money or supervision and only illegal drugs as currency.

gregjohn1229

PF Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2009
You are doing an admirable thing taking in a stranger and investing the time to do right. Too many people would have turned the other cheek than do what you have done. Its people like you that do good for the world and for that I commend you for that. You are setting an excellent example for your daughter and she well be better for it.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
I think anyone would do the same thing for a kid all alone. The grandmother is the boy's long gone father's mother. She tried to keep in contact but lost contact with the boy & his mother soon after dad left. SHe appeared really relieved to see the boy
The mum and her latest partner have turned up. The mother actually seems OK with the boy staying with Grandma. I hope this is the beginning of a better life for this boy