When kids give you advice...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Has anyone else ever had their children 'parrot-back' advice that you have given them? Because I have just experienced this and it is one of the strangest things.

I had a consult this morning that my manager booked and after a while I recognised the name as the name of someone I went to high school with, for the record, her and her friends weren't very nice to me and my friends. She came in and it was her, there was no way that she was going to figure out who I was, mainly because I have changed my first name, which throws people off, but she was giving me a strange look the whole time. At the end she said "Where do I know you from?" and I decided to tell her (and go into a lengthy explanation about the name change and various other things).

Anyway, Sunny rings me from school to ask about something and goes "How has your day been?" and I tell her about this woman "What did she used to do to you and your friends?" "They just used to pick on us because we weren't the most fashion forward people, have to say though I wish I picked something else to wear today instead of ripped jeans and a hoodie" "Mum, if someone is going to judge you on what clothes you wear than they clearly don't value you and they aren't worth worrying about" " ... don't you have a class or something?"

I hate it when she's right.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well obviously that just means you're doing something right. :D

Reminds me of something that happened to me not too long ago. I went to the corner store by my house to buy DH some cigarettes, and I just automatically put my ID on the counter because I look young for my age and I am trying to save time (plus I hadn't seen the girl there before, if it was one of the regular people I'd be fine). Apparently I went to high school with the girl, and she pushes my ID back to me and says "I graduated high school with you" (in an almost offended tone) and I looked up at her and said "sorry, you never talked to me, so I didn't recognize you at first". Sorry, I'm just honest! She was of a totally different crowd than me and my friends. The only reason she even remembered me, I can guarantee it, was because I stood out due to the way I dressed and the fact that I was different and hung out with the other weirdos lol. Which sorry, doesn't much impress me! :p

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I don't know that this is really the same thing, but my 6 yo had gotten in trouble and sent to his room to give him some time to think. My wife went up after a little bit to find a neck tie hanging from his door knob. He told her he, "knew that that meant you didn't want to talk to anyone and he really didn't want to talk to dad right now."

hmmmm, since he doesn't know what it really means but he knows to leave the occupants alone, maybe DW and I should start using the neck tie on the door knob to get a little "alone" time.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
HAHA that is good stuff!!!

Speaking of your kids giving you advice, my 6 year old was watching TV the one day and he saw a dishwasher commercial, and he said "Mama, you should switch to Finish - it gets your dishes cleaner" lol. I definitely had to laugh. Had to tell him that I already use Finish, but thank you for the tip. :p

He also had anti drug week in school recently, and my DH got the "smoking is bad for you, so you should quit" speech haha. That was pretty cute.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
The power of advertising. Reminds of when Azriel was little and there was this ad for weetbix, I don't know if you guys have them but they are just plain bars of wheat cereal that you smoosh up with milk and the ad had a row of cricketers saying "I do 5" "I do 7" "I do 15" in reference to how many weetbix they can eat in one sitting, Azriel turns to me and goes
"How many do I do?"
"Uhh... none?"
"Why?"
"Because you don't like weetbix"
"Why not?"
"I don't know, it's up to you which cereals you like"

Then he decided to try some and he tried to put 15 in the bowl like on the ad, with Ash trying to explain that he himself could only eat 4 at a time and that 15 was meant to be a joke.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
My husband asked me how to spell a word, and my daughter sighed and said, "Daddy, if you don't try sounding it out first, you won't learn how to spell!" (We always encourage her to sound it out first.)

As if he's worried about that at age 30...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I hear my words out of my older kids mouths all the time. It's pretty funny especially when they realize what they said.

Last week or so I was trying to spell a word (can't remember the word) but I was so far off even spell check couldn't help me. In frustration I say out loud something about not being able to spell xxx, Vanna asks what the word was again and then proceeded to spell it for me. She's 9. I didn't feel very bright in that moment, and to think I am homeschooling them lol

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
We should just like start mailing each other interesting foods that are particular to our countries lol.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Who was it on here that I was trying to explain wizz fizz to?

Pretty sure I can't post that, it looks like cocaine. Delicious cocaine, but still.

Last edited:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Haha!!! Could have been me, or several of us, not sure but I do remember you talking about it. I am just too fascinated by foreign stuff like that.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I don't recall the wizz fizz discussion, it's intriguing.

On the weetbix, I thought you were describing the old fashioned shredded wheat ( https://www.google.com/search?q=shredded+wheat&rlz=1C1LDJZ_enUS500US500&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7m9yUs29Ec7gsAT7_IHADA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=923#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=32zNO8WUNDri-M%3A%3BFknrPeo-dRJjWM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.m-a-d-e.net%252Fbackcatalogue%252Fbotham.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.m-a-d-e.net%252Fbackcatalogue%252F2008%252F07%252Fshredded-wheat-botham.html%3B400%3B282[/url]) (not the shredded mini wheat, the big ol' loaves of wheat that only grandparents eat, so I was surprised at the picture.

The problem with send peculiar foods around is that we don't know what's peculiar until we have one of these discussion.

On a related note, my kid's school had a food drive, and then they posted pics of kids with the food, packing it up to go to the food bank etc. In the picture was a box of ice cream cones and a bag of marshmallows. Do needy people really need these? I thought they were very odd items for someone to donate and very odd items to feature in a photo.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
Haha!!! Could have been me, or several of us, not sure but I do remember you talking about it. I am just too fascinated by foreign stuff like that.
me too, and the different names we have for the same things....

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Hmm, they're not a need but I could see how they would be very much appreciated in a home with children.
When we were really struggling we didn't buy treats, thinking about it, Dita didn't actually have a lolly until she was school aged, it's just not something you buy.

Ice cream cones though, well that doesn't really work for me, because then you have to buy ice cream.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
You can crush up the ice cream cones in melted butter to make a pie crust. You can use the marshmallows to top a sweet potato casserole. Odds and ends like that can really spice up a simple meal. :)