When to lose the baby tub?...

big poppa

Nov 28, 2007
I'm a first timer so this might be a stupid question but I have no idea when I'm supposed to switch my DD to the regular bath tub. She has the blue baby tub that has a sling for when she was an infant, a recliner for when she was a little bigger and flips around now that she's sitting up on her own. She still fits lengthwise and all - her legs aren't overflowing the tub or anything. She just turned 1 last week and I don't know when to make "the big switch." The regular tub just seems so big compared to her... I don't want her flopping over and hurting herself or anythin. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
wow she is one and still in a baby tub!!?? Me personally I would have switched her long ago. I am sure its fine and dandy to have her in there though. We got rid of the baby tub around 6 or 7 months old, (thie kitchen sink till about 2 or 3 months) then she was in a blowup duck! lol It was bigger then a baby tub and deaper, she was in that till about 10 months old then we put her in the big tub!
I bet your baby would love the big tub! Get some new toys for her and just fill the tub about 4 inches or so. Of course never leave baby unattended and all that stuff!

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I agree with Kaytee. My girls were in a big tub as soon as they could sit up. I used one of the ring things so they wouldn't accidentally fall over. But as soon as they were sitting without falling over it was gone. probably about 6-8 months. I think she will love the big tub also and new bath toys are always a plus.

big poppa

Nov 28, 2007
I had a feeling I might get responses like this... My gut told me that it probably needs to go. Maybe we will test the waters (no pun intended) tomorrow night!! Ahhh! Wish us luck.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
lol good luck! I'm sure it will be greta fun and take lots of pics to remember the big move!

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
The real answer is: when you want to.

If they're so big they splash water all over your kitchen... that's a pretty big sign that it's time to change.

If you have concerns about safety I find the easiest thing to do is just to jump in the bath with them.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yep, I took baths with Nichole up until probably a few mnonths ago. Now we take showers together instead. Gets us both clean and she is right there with me.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I took Logan out of the baby tub whenhe could sit up well...he is still bathed in the sink but that's only because I haven't gooten him one of those ring seats for the tub yet and he fits in the sink OK...lol he's a fat boy though and he out grew the baby tub by the time he was 6 months. I think I have the one you are talking about though and it does say you can use it for toddlers as well...I'm just not sure how well they'd fit

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Those bath tub seats scared the crap out of me. My daughters were so skinny and they would slide down sideways, even with that bar in the middle. One time she got stuck and I was sitting right there and my eyes never left her. I tossed those suckers right then and there and only put a few inches of water.
They are 7,6,6 and I just now let them take baths by themselves and the bath tub can only be filled half way. lol. They have to leave the door open and you'll hear me yelling every five minutes "you ok?" I always get answered back in an irratated voice "yes mom". lol