Where do you want to be?...

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
So I'm sitting here in my office, wishing I was anywhere other than behind a desk, and think about all the great places out there that I would rather be :/

So, tell me - if you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would it be? "with my kids/loved ones" don't count - let's assume you can take anyone you want with you ;)

?

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
You and Luca must be on the same page! He just asked me this question yesterday. I was thinking of someplace I would like to visit, and I told him South Africa :) But not to sit behind a desk :D How about you?

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
Today, I would not want to be anywhere but where I am, but that's because today is Thanksgiving, and I LOVE Thanksgiving.

On another day, however, I'd probably want to be in Kenya or possibly Bali, or in Thailand having an hour long foot massage. An all expense paid trip to Disney World with my 5 year old would be an incredibly happy trip. Or at a comfy cabin on a lake at a state park, say in Arkansas with all our meals catered. (Check out their state parks - a-MAZ-ing)

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Oops. Thanksgiving... bad time to ask this question, I suppose :eek:

stjohnjulie said:
I told him South Africa
:cool: Well, you have a private guide on standby :p

MomoJA said:
Or at a comfy cabin on a lake at a state park, say in Arkansas with all our meals catered. (Check out their state parks - a-MAZ-ing)
I googled Arkansas state parks - it does look awesome. Looks like Arkansas is a really beautiful state... :)

Me, I can't quite decide. Somewhere quiet, with no TV, no radio, and most of all no cell-phone reception. Perhaps a 5-star bush lodge with beautiful views and people just waiting around to cater to my every need, or perhaps, go the other way, and seek out the ultimate in peace and quiet... Kubu island in the Makgadikgadi salt pans, where, if you walk out onto the pans it is so quiet that no matter how much you strain your ears, all you can hear is your own heart-beat... Its magic :)

PS: Sorry you're sick, mom2many - hope you feel better soon :(

Last edited:

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
:) Thanks singledad! Will you take me to the place in the photo you had posted awhile back? Do you remember?? Just your sweet little girl and a whole lot of open space?? I think about that place sometimes, even though I've never been.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
stjohnjulie said:
:) Thanks singledad! Will you take me to the place in the photo you had posted awhile back? Do you remember?? Just your sweet little girl and a whole lot of open space?? I think about that place sometimes, even though I've never been.
If its the photo I'm thinking of (had it in my sig for a while), its the Makgadikgadi salt pans - one of my favourite places in the world :) We went there over Easter, and ever since my DD keeps asking me when we can go again. She loved being able to run free and explore. That image of her running barefoot over the pan in her little white dress, as free as a little bird, is one of those images I'll cherish forever :)

So yes - I'd definitely take you there, although its not strictly South Africa - its in Botswana actually. Its not for everyone - its very rough. No facilities whatsoever, not even water - you have to take your own :eek: - and accessible only by 4x4, but that's part of the magic! Its so remote, and so quiet and peaceful, it feels as if you're on another planet. You go there for three days, and your senses take about as much time to re-adjust to city life when you get back.

LOL. I just googled - there isn't even a proper website I can link for you, so I give you... google images :D

Makgadikgadi pans

And Kubu island (where the campsite is)

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Yeah! That's the place! I love that picture, and like I said, I often think of it even though I've never been. It's kind of my 'meditation image'. I remember you saying it was roughing it, but it looks like it's totally worth any inconvenience. So, yeah, that's where I want to be :) Thanks singledad!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh, I don't know. Maybe Japan or Germany or some island with a mixed drink in my hand if we're talking about no kids lol... With the kids I'd want to go to Disney World or maybe on a Disney cruise or something. Woo! :D

Those beaches are gorgeous, Singledad.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
stjohnjulie said:
Yeah! That's the place! I love that picture, and like I said, I often think of it even though I've never been. It's kind of my 'meditation image'. I remember you saying it was roughing it, but it looks like it's totally worth any inconvenience. So, yeah, that's where I want to be :) Thanks singledad!
Oh yes, its worth every bit of inconvenience :) there's no where else like it :)

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Xero said:
Oh, I don't know. Maybe Japan or Germany or some island with a mixed drink in my hand if we're talking about no kids lol... With the kids I'd want to go to Disney World or maybe on a Disney cruise or something. Woo! :D

Those beaches are gorgeous, Singledad.
Mmm, you remind me of my SIL - her idea of a good drink is "anything with an umbrella" LOL!

Yes, those beaches are pretty awesome, although strictly speaking they haven't been "beaches" for thousands of years! You're not wrong, though - they were beaches, and when you're there, it looks and even smells salty like a beach, and you can see actual see- shells stuck in the rocks. But unless it rains a lot (which it does every few years) there isn't any water within hundreds of kilometres :eek: its just this huge salt-pan, with this "island" full of granite rocks and baobab trees... Like a beach without the sea. Really messes with your mind :p

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Not given it much thought. But this is what I am starting with.

I am thinking like willy wonka's with a few modifications

Along with the river of chocolate there would be a "river of Budweiser" Complete with misting waterfall. And the freezing "river of Jagermiester" with a rope swing

The grass would taste like beef jerky.

Palm trees with coconuts full of Bacardi and OJ

Instead of lollipops growing, BBQ ribs wild throughout.

There would be animals, and they would all be the smoked version of themselves. Want smoke ham? grab a pig and take a bite. Smoke turkey? If you can catch it, its yours. Steak anyone??

The Ummpa Lummpa's would be hot strippers (they would only be stripping because they loved it, not because they had to.) I would have special glasses that made any male Ummpa Lummpa's look clothed because that would creep me out.

The burping room would remain the same. with an addition of a highly ventilated farting room off to the side (for when I'm in the mood)

The kids could play in a viewing area with one way reflective walls. They would have the best supervision so as not to worry. And sneaky secret things would be in place (remote control sprinklers, noise makers, smelly air nozzel blasters. slime cannon) So I can entertain my self by messing with them every now and again. (Nothing cuter than a confused kid).

The boat ride wouldnt change much other than you could cast out a line and do some deep see fishing. And I could drive.

There would be a cave of smells, Fresh bread, Cookies, ect. For spelunking.

Big tricked out golf carts for everyone to ride. With ramps, mud, maybe a speedway track. And cop carts that weren't fast or smart enough to catch us

Helium filled backpacks for us to sound silly whenever we wanted to.

Trap doors and secret passageways everywhere.

Massages area with all types of massages.

Warm mud or sand to walk on.

Those stimuli deprivation beds to nap in.

Warm Carmel swimming pool.

Mountain Dew and Pepsi rain forest.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
LMAO!!! Bssage clearly wins this one. xD I laughed the whole time. I read it out loud to DH. He laughed too. Thank you bssage.

Yep I enjoy girly mixed drinks. :) I also enjoy beer and wine. Not in a long time considering I've been pregnant and/or breastfeeding for a while, but otherwise.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
bssage said:
Not given it much thought. But this is what I am starting with.

I am thinking like willy wonka's with a few modifications

Along with the river of chocolate there would be a "river of Budweiser" Complete with misting waterfall. And the freezing "river of Jagermiester" with a rope swing

The grass would taste like beef jerky.

Palm trees with coconuts full of Bacardi and OJ

Instead of lollipops growing, BBQ ribs wild throughout.

There would be animals, and they would all be the smoked version of themselves. Want smoke ham? grab a pig and take a bite. Smoke turkey? If you can catch it, its yours. Steak anyone??

The Ummpa Lummpa's would be hot strippers (they would only be stripping because they loved it, not because they had to.) I would have special glasses that made any male Ummpa Lummpa's look clothed because that would creep me out.

The burping room would remain the same. with an addition of a highly ventilated farting room off to the side (for when I'm in the mood)

The kids could play in a viewing area with one way reflective walls. They would have the best supervision so as not to worry. And sneaky secret things would be in place (remote control sprinklers, noise makers, smelly air nozzel blasters. slime cannon) So I can entertain my self by messing with them every now and again. (Nothing cuter than a confused kid).

The boat ride wouldnt change much other than you could cast out a line and do some deep see fishing. And I could drive.

There would be a cave of smells, Fresh bread, Cookies, ect. For spelunking.

Big tricked out golf carts for everyone to ride. With ramps, mud, maybe a speedway track. And cop carts that weren't fast or smart enough to catch us

Helium filled backpacks for us to sound silly whenever we wanted to.

Trap doors and secret passageways everywhere.

Massages area with all types of massages.

Warm mud or sand to walk on.

Those stimuli deprivation beds to nap in.

Warm Carmel swimming pool.

Mountain Dew and Pepsi rain forest.
I'm going there.

Forget Disney. lol

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
Ehh, I wish it was more cold and somewhere snowy. My part of Canada isnt getting snow early enough and i wanna board!
I'd wouldn't mind being up in Muskoka either, though. I could deal with Hawaii as well... The list goes on:p