Who banned this guy?...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Hello fellow Mods :) I have something I need to share with you. Recently I recieved a PM from a username "multiplebans", and it is as follows:

I've been banned TWICE now for "spam". I didn't even POST anything from the second account, which was only created to ask why I was banned.

Both usernames are studentteacher and studentteacher2.

I merely posted something asking for opinions for a project, which has been done several times on your forum.

I'd like an explanation on WHY I've been banned twice now.

I assure you, I'm not a computer, and my post did not ask for any personal information, was not inflammatory, included no linkages outside of the site, was not offering any form of product or service, and had purpose. If posing the question "What do you, as parents think about gay teachers?" is somehow spam, I'd like an explanation of how. I'm not attempting to start any kind of problems on your forum, I'm attempting to get some insight into the psychology of parents, and thought your forum would be a nice place to do so.

Since I'm assuming I'll be banned again, without reason, feel free to e-mail me your response at jtsagurt@marauder.millersville.edu

Thank you for your time,
Justin Sagurton

So basically I told him I was not the moderator that banned him, and I would have whoever did do it reply to him with his or her reasoning since I have no idea and I did not even see his threads to begin with haha.

I'm sure I totally agree with his banning. But I didn't feel like I could really respond since it wasn't me. So whoever banned this guy, please respond to his PM as if it had been sent to you lol. :)

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I banned him. We're getting hammered with these "students" running surveys and other crap like that for their "reports". To me, they're nothing more than spammers. I feel that we're not here to cater to people's homework. We're here to offer support to parents.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh, I completely agree. That's the way I always felt about it, but I wasn't sure how you guys felt about it and I know I can be a little extra mean lol so I hold back sometimes. The school questions, I tend to ignore not because I think they are relevant or that they belong here, but because I figure I'll leave the decision up to you guys since I was never sure. It doesn't really state anything against it in the rules. I completely agree with your decision, and support your words 100%. :)

Speaking of the rules though, I think if possible we should revise them slightly to include those student surveys. That way it is made clear to everyone. :)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
Oh, I completely agree. That's the way I always felt about it, but I wasn't sure how you guys felt about it and I know I can be a little extra mean lol so I hold back sometimes. The school questions, I tend to ignore not because I think they are relevant or that they belong here, but because I figure I'll leave the decision up to you guys since I was never sure. It doesn't really state anything against it in the rules. I completely agree with your decision, and support your words 100%. :)

Speaking of the rules though, I think if possible we should revise them slightly to include those student surveys. That way it is made clear to everyone. :)
or my thought is to say you have to be a parent or cergiver to be welcome to post. I mean the guy's question about a gay teacher is a welcome post, if it came from a parent wondering about how other parents felt. It's when we get this stuff, just trolling us for info, not intending to contribute at all that it's kind of using us. I mean we have enough one post wonders (here's my problem, please give me adive and you'll never hear from me again (until I have another problem....))

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I was thinking about adding something about all survey posts being subject to mod approval

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That makes sense Fallon. :)

You know what else about that IADad? I didn't ban the guy or delete his thread, but I did think that the question he said he was asking was inappropriate. Mainly because there is no reason any parent should even know the sexual preference of teachers. People that deal with kids - don't need to be flaunting which gender they like to stick it in, in my opinion. I never knew one way or the other if any of my teachers in school were gay. So the topic he posted was more controversial than it was relevent. I'm glad it got deleted. It almost looked like trolling on top of using us for homework. lol

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
ya know though, it did make me wonder. I think gay people do have things a little tougher. If they are out, then they have to be almost activists, so while the issue may not be discussed at school at all, and shouldn't be there is the issue of what happens when teacher is in a gay right parade or writes a letter to the editor supporting gay marriage? They either have to say "this is me and it's about people like me" or deny/closet them selves. So, while sexual preference shouldn't even be an issue with a teacher (I mean how many teachers stand up and say" Okay, today we're going to talk about what it's like to be heterosexual and proud of it...well I suppose if you're femal and teaching in Florida, it might be used as a pickup line...) So, I think the questionn would be if you were aware of your kids teacher's sexuality and they were gay, would that bother you as a parent and why.

I mean, looking back on it we had two lesbian teachers when I was in junior high, and we didn't know or thihnk about it and I'm sure parents either didn't know or were in denial. I mean two upper middle aged women, who live together, never married, both kind of "butch" that's more than just "spinster teachers."

So, I see your point a teacher touting the virtues of thei preferences in class is intolerable, regardless of hetero or gay, but I think the issue come sback to seeing my teacher, Mr. Smith's marriage license announcment to Lance in the paper....would that necessarily make a parent uncomfortable?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Hahaha true, very true. I guess my perspective on that would be that just because you KNOW, doesn't mean it matters. If he makes it a topic for my kids to ponder - I would be upset. If he was gay, but never mentioned it then who cares. Sexual preference has nothing to do with teaching skills.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
It's interesting, here, when you look in the paper, there are about as many, maybe more obvious same sex couples getting marriage licenses as non-same sex. I don't have a problem with it at all, but it's kind of bizarre to see, like reading in a different language or something