Why are parents so overprotective nowadays?...

NickW345

Jul 30, 2014
I live in a semi rural suburban middle class neighborhood full of police, paramedics, blue collar workers, and ex military. Most of them seemed real protective. I knew a construction manager Dad who wouldn't let their teen daughter watch anything above a g rating. Her daughter said some bigoted things about inner city people and said she wanted to be a supermodel or cop. How could such a cute girl be so full of ignorance?
It seemed like back in the 2000s kids and teens had a lot more freedom.

Back in the 2000s the jocks played games like Halo and CoD. Not this kiddie Fortnite crap!

And there even a jock with a high taste in video games! Not only did he like Halo and CoD he also liked Mass Effect, Gears of War, and GTA.

The popular girls watched shows like the OC and Gossip Girl. They were obsessed with making the cheerleading squad.

What changed?

I hope somewhere out there is a middle class family with with an Gears of War and GTA playing athlete son who plays both football and soccer that has a high GPA, a decent social life, and is on track to being accepted by a good college with the goal of being a scientist, businessman, or military officer and also have a daughter involved in sports who loves trashy romance novels, teen shows filled with love triangles, and a collection of high end Barbie dolls who is on the road to attending a good college with the goal of working in the corporate world or becoming a lawyer.