Why do schools allow boys and girls to use the swimming pool at the same time?...

Jul 3, 2015
Why do schools allow boys and girls to use the swimming pool at the same time?
at my daughters schools from 8th -10th grade, in PE she attends the swim unit and boys and girls have it together? Why is this allowed? Wouldn't this make girls feel uncomfortable and give immature boys an opportunity to harass and humiliate girls? And cause distractions and goofing off among everyday? Not to mention young boys will be shirtless around young girls and I think that is inappropriate especially in a school setting My daughter keeps saying she does not care but she is young and may not understand how wrong this is this just seems wrong especially at school. Giving a boys a chance to leer at girls like this this class also pretty much just gives students to look at all the other students in bathing suits. What is this a party or something? How is this appropriate for school? Why is the school providing an avenue for voyeurism?
can people really say honestly that young boys and girls will concentrate on swimming while they are around each other in bathing suits and not goof off? That boys (who aren't known for sensitivity) won't use this opportunity to harass or tease girls?
what reason do they have to put them together? They can easily separate boys and girls buy taking the boys of another gym class and putting them with the boys in the gym class doing the swim unit and the same with girls.
Cam someone please tell me the benefits and why exactly boys and girls should swim together in school? What is the reason?

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Why not? It's not like boys and girls swim separately at other times when they go swimming. As long as they have separate changing rooms, I think it's very normal.
Boys and girls need to learn to interact with one another and be learn how to be respectful with one another in these types of settings. There are lifeguards and or teachers there. I'm sure they are making sure that there isn't any touchy feely frenzy going on. Plus, teens tend to check each other out no matter what they are wearing or where they are. It's a fact of life you are going to have accept at some point.

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
mom2many said:
Haha, thnaks for the laugh!
^^ This. :D:D

Let's separate them at the malls too. 2 to 4 pm boys are allowed at the mall, and 4 to 6 pm girls are allowed at the mall.

And the movie theater, because it's kinda dark there. Saturdays are for boys and Sundays are for girls.

Kidding aside.. I'm not sure if you are serious or not? You are asking for the reason why this should be allowed. The better question would be, what is your reason why it should not be allowed? I don't see any harm in boys and girls having swim class together. It's natural, no?

ChrisH2

Apr 4, 2015
I see no reason why male and female students should not undertake lessons together, whether in a swimming pool or classroom.
Your comment regarding the male students attire smacks of interesting and I would suggest outdated attitudes for current Australian social standards. Are these influenced by a non-mainstream socio-religious history?
The benefit of promoting such coeducational teaching and experience is to assist in aculturation, to assist in turn with their appropriate interaction in a gender diverse society.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

CraigK

PF Regular
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego
I think that this is totally appropriate for middle school and up. By this time if your daughter is comfortable, you should be too. If you are concerned about a co-ed environment you should consider an all girls school for your daughter, provided she would be open to the change!