Why do so many parents online side with youngsters?...

Buttaflly227

PF Regular
Jan 31, 2012
I would say this happens for two reasons:

1) Parents ARE being too overprotective

OR

2) The people giving the suggestions are the type that are trying to be friends with their kids rather than parents.

The second option is most likely because our country has gone into chaos in terms on parenting, IMO. The reason I say this is that many times both parents work, drop their kids off at daycare, or they go to school, then they come home tired and throw them some McDonalds and are too tired to discipline correctly. This is an over exaggeration to prove my point but the fact is that this country has too many passive parents that let society and the media raise their kids because they're too tired or busy to enforce their values or don't even know what they are!

There is a great book called The Epidemic by Robert Shaw that covers this in length and offers remedies that I suggest everyone -EVERYONE- read.

On the other hand, sometimes parents' are just up a kid's butt and need to give them space and room and some time for making mistakes. It really depends on a variety of factors but it basically comes down to one of those two options.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
umb24 said:
One of my observations is that a lot of parents I see on online tend to side with a child's interest and want to discourage others from enforcing any kind of standard of rules and behavior upon their kids.
I don't know if you are talking about this parenting website in general here but if so then Id like to see some examples of that. Not that I dont think that happens but saying "tends to side with" implies a majority of times which I dont see here myself. Also, some of us here have special needs kids where I can assure you "the child is not in charge"!

umb24 said:
It's not that I don't expect differing opinion, I do. But I want to pick brains, and really try to get to the core of our differences. To understand why other parents think the way they do, and not just what they think. Debate is healthy, and necessary.
meh... to me that just sounds like you want to argue your opinion. Most of us found this place because we wanted advice in raising our children, not to promote an agenda on our beliefs on what others should do.

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
there's nothing wrong with it, ur right. but everyone is entitled to their opinons in the end.....maybe more ppl relate to their mindset and feel more open to share it online vs in person