why do toddlers hit?...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
My son just started hitting me for no reason. Not out of anger or frustration, but just to, well, get a reaction I think. I really don't know why he does it. I don't know if I should ignore him, hit him back so he knows how it feels or put him in a time out. I can understand children hitting because they've been spanked or they've seen other children hitting, but this isn't the case. I don't know where he learned it from. Any advice?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
So if I use the time out method, do I keep putting him in the time out spot until he stays there a full minute?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Oliver may be too young for Time Out. He doesn't understand the context of time, and you would be struggling to keep him there, besides the fact that he wouldn't get the point. I don't think Time Outs are effective until a child is at least 2, and even then, they don't work for all kids. In your case, I think a firm, "No hitting," and either stopping the activity at hand or redirecting him to something else will suffice. Of course, you'll have to do this over and over again until he gets the message.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Ok. Thanks.

But do you know why he is hitting? He is with me more than he is with his dad and he never hits him. And like I said, he's not doing it because he's mad. It's almost like he's playing.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
He probably is playing, but as a toddler, he's not yet aware that hitting isn't an acceptable behavior. Since toddlers aren't able to verbalize their thoughts and feelings, etc. they come out in physical ways. Don't worry, this too shall pass! And then on to different parenting challenges ;) Never a dull moment! LOL!

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I think he's just exploring and learning more about the world around him. Like Trina said, he's not yet aware that it isn't acceptable.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Thanks. That makes me feel better. He really isn't a mean kid at all. He has a wonderful personality. That's why I was so disturbed when he started hitting.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Lissa said:
Ok. Thanks.

But do you know why he is hitting? He is with me more than he is with his dad and he never hits him. And like I said, he's not doing it because he's mad. It's almost like he's playing.
Did you happen to notice what YOU were doing at the particular times he hit you? You said that it seems like he's doing it to get a reaction, so maybe it's when you are busy doing something and he knows hitting you will get a reaction out of you? Just a thought :)

But I also agree, it could just be a phase... I don't remember his age, but he's approaching the terrible two's isn't he? ;)

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Mindy said:
Did you happen to notice what YOU were doing at the particular times he hit you? You said that it seems like he's doing it to get a reaction, so maybe it's when you are busy doing something and he knows hitting you will get a reaction out of you? Just a thought :)
I was sitting on the floor watching him play and he just came up to me out of no where and started hitting me on the head and laughing.

But I also agree, it could just be a phase... I don't remember his age, but he's approaching the terrible two's isn't he? ;)
Yes, the 2s are fast approaching! :shocked:

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Mindy said:
LOL, guess that's not it then :)
He's a very strange kid. lol My husband was there and had to turn his head to laugh. He thought it was pretty funny to watch his wife get b'slapped by a baby. lol

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Oliver is still hitting me and he hit a little girl at the playgroup the other day. I'm very upset and brokenhearted over this. My little boy is being so mean and I didn't teach him to be that way. When he hits me I want to cry. I did once but I hold it back most of the time. Everything I do is for him and it hurts that he hits me. I'm taking this very personally, maybe too personally I don't know. It's bothering me an incredible deal though.

Another mother I know recommended I use a "modified" time out, where I just sit him in my lap and hold his arms for 30 seconds to a minute. Does that sound okay?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
{{{HUGS}}} This is just the start of things your DS will do that he wasn't taught at home. ;) Yes, you're taking it too personally. This is normal toddler behavior. Listen to your mommy instincts on how to discipline, keeping in mind that toddlers rarely get the message quickly. You'll need to hold his hands, look into his eyes and firmly say, "NO hitting. It hurts," (or something to that effect) and remove him from the situation or redirect to a different activity over and over again.

The fact you're so upset proves you're a good mother. :) I must tell you that the feeling of being broken hearted, overwhelmed and wondering how to handle parenting issues never stops. Those darn kids keep growing and getting into new and different troubles! LOL!

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Thanks Trina.

He did make it up to me last night when he woke up and cuddled with me on the couch for awhile. These days I'll take any affection I can get from him. It's like I need that obvious reminder that he still loves me. I'm stupid.