why do toddlers hit?...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Do you think maybe Oliver is bored? Maybe it's time for a daily routine? He has a buttload of toys so I don't know how he could get bored but maybe he is. Do I go out and buy him more challenging toys? Any advice?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
You don't have a daily routine? He doesn't necessarily need more toys. Go for a walk, play outside, sit down on the floor with him and do puzzles and play with blocks, etc.. Play music and sing and dance together. READ, read , read to him. Get some chunky crayons and big pieces of paper. Let him scribble and draw. (Strictly supervised, of course! Be sure to keep the crayons locked away otherwise. ;) ) I miss that age.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
We do all that stuff (go for walks, play outside, play with toys and sing and dance). I try to read to him but he takes the book away from me so I can't read. He eats crayons and tears the pages out of the books.

He screams at me if I go to the bathroom, go on the computer for 5 minutes, sit on the couch and watch TV, when I cook, every time I need to do something for myself...he gets so angry. I don't know why he's so mad at me. :(

His controlling behavior is really starting to get to me. I can't do anything. What am I doing wrong?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I'm not leaving him. I'm just trying to do my own thing for 5 minutes. Isn't separation anxiety when you leave them for long periods of time? I can't help but get the feeling that he's controlling me. Are toddler's capable of controlling you at this age? Do I need to put an end to it?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Lissa said:
I'm not leaving him. I'm just trying to do my own thing for 5 minutes. Isn't separation anxiety when you leave them for long periods of time? I can't help but get the feeling that he's controlling me. Are toddler's capable of controlling you at this age? Do I need to put an end to it?

The length of time doesn't matter. Here's an excerpt from the article above...

<I>Babies realize that there's only one of you, and when he or she can't see you, that means you've gone away. However, at this point, your child doesn't yet understand the concept of time and doesn't know if or when you'll come back. So whether you're in the kitchen, in the next bedroom, or at the office, it's all the same to your toddler. You've disappeared. Your child will do whatever he or she can to prevent this from happening.</I>

My DD used to get upset if I simply stopped paying direct attention to her, even if I was only a few feet away. God forbid if I had to go to the bathroom or cook a meal, etc.. I don't miss <I>that</I> stage. LOL!

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Trina said:
The length of time doesn't matter. Here's an excerpt from the article above...

<I>Babies realize that there's only one of you, and when he or she can't see you, that means you've gone away. However, at this point, your child doesn't yet understand the concept of time and doesn't know if or when you'll come back. So whether you're in the kitchen, in the next bedroom, or at the office, it's all the same to your toddler. You've disappeared. Your child will do whatever he or she can to prevent this from happening.</I>

My DD used to get upset if I simply stopped paying direct attention to her, even if I was only a few feet away. God forbid if I had to go to the bathroom or cook a meal, etc.. I don't miss <I>that</I> stage. LOL!
I guess I didn't think that applied to him because he's not really a baby anymore. You know? That's very interesting, Trina. Thank you. :)

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Lissa said:
I guess I didn't think that applied to him because he's not really a baby anymore. You know? That's very interesting, Trina. Thank you. :)

You're welcome. My kids both went through this. In fact, at times they seemed to phase in and out of it.

<I>, or tension at home.</I>

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
He has had very limited time with the babysitter, but lately its been more because of my husband's new schedule. Starting next week I've cut back my hours so he doesn't have to have a babysitter anymore. Maybe that's what it is. Maybe he's been stressed about the increased time at the babysitters? I never even thought of that.

Oliver has been a very clingy baby since he was born, which has it's ups and downs. He's always wanted me within arms reach at all times. I guess it was my mistake in assuming separation anxiety wasn't an issue anymore at 18 months. I thought he had outgrown that, but apparently not.

As far as the hitting thing goes though, it really has to stop. Are you certain that I shouldn't put him in a time out chair? I need to do something. I tell him "no" but he doesn't listen.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Lissa said:
As far as the hitting thing goes though, it really has to stop. Are you certain that I shouldn't put him in a time out chair? I need to do something. I tell him "no" but he doesn't listen.
That's your call. You know him best. Parenting and discipline often include a lot of trial and error. All kids are different. What works for one may not work for another. My kids are 9 &amp; 11, and I'm still trying to find effective parenting approaches for each of them. LOL!

As much as I'd prefer to sit here and socialize, I have tons to do before my kids get home from school. They have a half day today and friends coming over to play. It's a gorgeous sunny day here. I'll be OUTSIDE playing with them. :)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Nichole is also a needy baby (or toddler as it may be now) she had sepersation anxity horribly!!!!!! I never left her for long either. Even now if I do something without her she will cry and whine fo rme.
Its normal but frustrating!!!
Time outs are great for Nichole, I never do the whole 2 minutes with her, no need, just about a minute works for us.
You can always try it and if it doesn't work, try something else!