Why not smoke Cannabis?...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Yep.. that's the point. Everybody tolerates things differently - to say it's "not possible" is dangerous in itself.

FWIW, If had to pick which substance would be illegal between the two - I would say alcohol should. With that being said, I still don't want my child doing either, at least until she is an adult and only if it's LEGAL. ;-)

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Ummm yeah naturally occuring chemicals Sirk.

Not formaldehyde, cyanide, benzene, Acetone etc.

Acetone is the # 1 ingredient in cigarettes. That's paint stripper. Nail polish remover.

It's not the same. Cigarettes have 4000 chemical additives.

JCarter2

Jul 1, 2008
Sirk, that 'fact sheet' is a bunch of BS

The number of chemicals in something has nothing to do with its safety and toxicity.

<U>Marijuana Does NOT Cause Lung Cancer</U>

Here is a study from the University of California. (What sounds more biased, an anti-drug organization, or a state funded university?)

Wednesday, May 24, 2006; Posted: 2:11 p.m. EDT (18:11 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Marijuana smoking does not increase a person's risk of developing lung cancer, according to the findings of a new study at the University of California Los Angeles that surprised even the researchers.

They had expected to find that a history of heavy marijuana use, like cigarette smoking, would increase the risk of cancer.

Instead, the study, which compared the lifestyles of 611 Los Angeles County lung cancer patients and 601 patients with head and neck cancers with those of 1,040 people without cancer, found no elevated cancer risk for even the heaviest pot smokers. It did find a 20-fold increased risk of lung cancer in people who smoked two or more packs of cigarettes a day.

The study results were presented in San Diego Tuesday at a meeting of the American Thoracic Society.

The study was confined to people under age 60 since baby boomers were the most likely age group to have long-term exposure to marijuana, said Dr. Donald Tashkin, senior researcher and professor at the UCLA School of Medicine.

The results should not be taken as a blank check to smoke pot, which has been associated with problems including cognitive impairment and chronic bronchitis, said Dr. John Hansen-Flaschen, chief of pulmonary and critical care at the University of Pennsylvania Health System in Philadelphia. He was not involved in the study.

Previous studies showed marijuana tar contained about 50 percent more of the chemicals linked to lung cancer, compared with tobacco tar, Tashkin said. In addition, smoking a marijuana joint deposits four times more tar in the lungs than smoking an equivalent amount of tobacco.

"Marijuana is packed more loosely than tobacco, so there's less filtration through the rod of the cigarette, so more particles will be inhaled," Tashkin said in a statement. "And marijuana smokers typically smoke differently than tobacco smokers -- they hold their breath about four times longer, allowing more time for extra fine particles to deposit in the lung."

He theorized that tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, a chemical in marijuana smoke that produces its psychotropic effect, may encourage aging, damaged cells to die off before they become cancerous.

Hansen-Flaschen also cautioned a cancer-marijuana link could emerge as baby boomers age and there may be smaller population groups, based on genetics or other factors, still at risk for marijuana-related cancers.
Source: CNN.com[/B][/URL]

Keep in mind, this study is mainly on HEAVY smokers. The typical cannabis smoker smokes only about once a week or so, compared to the typical tobacco smoker smoking a pack or so daily.

Lastly, no one recommends smoking cannabis while driving. I hate to say it, but if someone where to crash while under the influence of any drug, including cannabis it is due to their lack of judgment in deciding to drive while under the influence that caused them harm. The drug did not force them to drive.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Ummmm, I used to be the "typical cannabis smoker" and my norm wasn't once a week. More like once a day. So I find that argument a bit redundant. A normal pot smoker doesn't go out and buy just one joint to last them all week. They're gonna buy at least a dime bag, normally a twenty sack. And most of my friends bought at least half ounces to last them the week. One joint wouldn't last all week.

And the argument that the number of chemicals in something does not make it dangerous is not a valid argument. Why add chemicals in something to make it safe??? If cigarettes have 4000 chemicals in them, you can guarantee your butt that 3999 of them are put in the tobacco by man, which means NOT NATURAL which means addiction and danger. Just common sense.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I think pot being illegal has a lot to do with the fact that it would be nearly impossible for the government to put taxes on it. They're already all over that with alcohol. It would just never work if they tried that with marajuana because it's so easy for anyone to sell. It's a major money sucker for them, so I figure that's probably why pot isn't legal and alcohol is. But maybe not. I would not allow my children to smoke it. I do think it's less harmful than alcohol or cigarettes, however I don't appreciate the idea of pot messing with my child's mental state of being. It seems like I'd be giving him permission to deplete a tiny itty bit of his intelligence. And that's what makes your whole person! But that's the only reason pot bothers me. That I suppose and pot tends to make it easier for other thoughtless (but not necessarily harmful) things to happen in social settings, if you know what I mean. =) I guess I also wouldn't knowingly let my child do anything illegal without my permission.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Mindy said:
Hi Xero! Your little man is cuter than EVER! Love his necklace!
Hi! :D Thank you very much! He's getting big as heck! And yeah I read something Kaytee said about baltic amber necklaces helping teething, so I got him one and I think it helps. He's got two top teeth and the bottom two are sooo about to come in, so yeah.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Doing good! He's more interested in X-Box 360 lately than parentingforums lol. He's such a nerd. I think it's cute, now that Eli's getting older and easier to play with, and now that I've gone back to work (like 2 days a week, 16hrs or so), they are reeeaaaally bonding. It's so adorable. It just warms a mother's heart. Eli crawls after him wherever he goes saying "Dadadadada" and if he chases him, he crawls away super fast laughing and trying to get away. I love this age. It's the cutest yet.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I know, you said it! And he's just such a comedian. It's just so fun. Lots of laughs.

concernedincuse

Aug 4, 2008
You should check out this blog. Its from a guy that did drugs as a kid and now talks about how proper parenting could have changed his outcome. Looks like he is just getting started, but I can see this is going to be a decent string. Talking to kids about drugs

BenDavis503

PF Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2008
Portland, OR
Wow what kind of parent would even consider letting his kid smoke herb? Geez...

How bout this. Sure, it does not kill people. But it leaves a coat of resin around your brain cells that will not go away for many years. Do you want your child to have resin coated brain cells that don't work anymore?

llort

Banned
Aug 26, 2008
HappyMomma said:
Let's see.. heart/lung disease, memory loss, loss of motivation...
Marijuana does not cause heart or lunge disease. It does not cause any sort of memory loss, either. And it doesn't demotivate you. Usually when I'm alone and smoking I'll sit on the couch and <I>think</I>. A lot. It's also very useful for those suffering from glaucoma and eating disorders.

So almost all of what people know about Cannabis in the states is misinformation. This is so because the government makes boat loads (and spends) of money off busting people with minute amounts of weed on them.

The punishing of casual smokers is ridiculous, especially the penalties and fines for having weed; even if you have a prescription. They're punishing the wrong people and spending millions in our tax money to do so.

The biggest thing people probably think weed does that it doesn't, is affects your memory. There's been many studies that show regular cannabis smokers of 1-30 years had no differences in taking tests or memorizing things then regular people do.

So really, weed used casually is good for you. Cigarettes should be illegal, not weed.

BenDavis503

PF Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2008
Portland, OR
^^^ I wouldn't go as far as to say weed is GOOD for you. I would agree that it does cause memory loss. Other then that it is not the worst thing in the world.

I still would never ever condone my kids smoking.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Those studies you speak of are of course going to be skewed, because no, weed does not cause memory loss. But it does cause SHORT TERM memory loss.