why you SHOULD circumcise...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
A recent AAP report stated that circumcision does offer some benefit in preventing urinary tract infections in infants. Circumcision also offers some benefit in preventing penile cancer in adult men . . . . Circumcision may reduce the risk of sexually transmitted diseases. . . .

. . . circumcision may help reduce the risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners, and whether it helps prevent certain problems with the penis, such as infections and unwanted swelling.
Circumcision -- familydoctor.org

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
</SIZE>
There are a variety of reasons why parents choose circumcision.</SIZE>[/FONT]</SIZE>
<LIST>

• <LI>
  • <LEFT>
    Medical benefits, including</SIZE>[/FONT]</SIZE>​
    </LEFT>
    <LIST>

• <LI>
    • <LEFT>
      A slightly lower risk of urinary tract infections (UTIs). A circumcised infant boy has about a 1 in 1,000 chance of developing a UTI in the first year of life; an uncircumcised infant boy has about a 1 in 100 chance of developing a UTI in the first year of life.</SIZE>[/FONT]</SIZE>​
      </LEFT></LI>
      <LI>
    • <LEFT>
      A lower risk of getting cancer of the penis. However, this type of cancer is very rare in all males.</SIZE>[/FONT]</SIZE>​
      </LEFT></LI>
      <LI>
    • <LEFT>
      A slightly lower risk of getting sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.</SIZE>[/FONT]</SIZE>​
      </LEFT></LI>
      <LI>
    • <LEFT>
      Prevention of foreskin infections.</SIZE>[/FONT]</SIZE>​
      </LEFT></LI>
      <LI>
    • <LEFT>
      Prevention of phimosis, a condition in uncircumcised males that makes foreskin retraction impossible.</SIZE>[/FONT]</SIZE>​
      </LEFT></LI>
      <LI>
    • <LEFT>
      Easier genital hygiene.</SIZE>[/FONT]</SIZE>​
      </LEFT></LI>
    </LIST></LI>
    <LI>
  • <LEFT>
    Social reasons. Many parents choose to have it done because "all the other men in the family" had it done or because they do not want their sons to feel "different."</SIZE>[/FONT]</SIZE>​
    </LEFT></LI>
    <LI>
  • <LEFT>
    Religious or cultural reasons. Some groups such as followers of the Jewish and Islamic faiths practice circumcision for religious and cultural reasons.</SIZE>[/FONT]</SIZE>​
    </LEFT></LI>
</LIST>
<i>
[/FONT]</i>
<LEFT></LEFT>

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
this issue is ridiculous to debate...it's not your bussiness why my son isn't circ'd anymore then it's my bussiness why your son is. Parents will fight to death on things like this and vaxing and really all it comes down to is that we should be able to make our OWN choices and not be judged harshly on them. Whether you do or don't should determine what kind of parent you are and I think things like this just end up in fights and hurt feelings

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
I got my son done - my high school boyfriend was from Italy, where circumsicion is not routine. And it was a topic of conversation with guys who shared the locker room with him. I even got asked some questions that were nobody's freaking business.
It's a bit different now, but I definately didn't want my kid dealing with that kind of BS

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
fallon said:
this issue is ridiculous to debate...it's not your bussiness why my son isn't circ'd anymore then it's my bussiness why your son is. Parents will fight to death on things like this and vaxing and really all it comes down to is that we should be able to make our OWN choices and not be judged harshly on them. Whether you do or don't should determine what kind of parent you are and I think things like this just end up in fights and hurt feelings
Yulia can debate reasons not to circumcise so shouldn't I be allowed to debate reasons TO circumcise?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Circumcision is first mentioned in the Bible in connection with God's promise to make Abraham's descendants a great nation and to give them a land they could call their own. In return, Abraham and his descendants were to obey God. To show that they were keeping their promise to God, every male descendant of Abraham was to be circumcised (Gen 17.1-14[/URL]).
Circumcision :: American Bible Society

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I wasn't really speaking about you personally...I think it's just as ridiclous when Yulia does it...you can all feel free to debate away but the thread will be closed if it gets out of hand like all the other times this board has tried to debate the issue

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I also wanted to add that some of you have made it clear that you find it very offensive when comments are made about parents who do circ their children (with good reason)...I hope everyone will remember that feeling when they post here and not bash the parents who choice not to circ

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
fallon said:
I wasn't really speaking about you personally...I think it's just as ridiclous when Yulia does it...you can all feel free to debate away but the thread will be closed if it gets out of hand like all the other times this board has tried to debate the issue
I mean no disrespect Fallon but Yulia's special thread has been going on for some time now and she has insulted various members here who have chosen to have their sons circumcised. I think closing this thread would be very unfair and would bias the entire forum. Members who have chosen circumcision for whatever reason should be allowed a voice too.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I have addressed yulia's comments and that thread will be undedr the same rules as this one...any thread that turns ugly will be closed. There is no special thread for anybody

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
plus there's being the bigger person to consider...don't roll in the mud with people who attack other parents

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
Actually I like that you openned this thread. Since we will be having a boy finally in September this is something I have to think about. I like having both sides of the story. Although I wish I could find a neutral site about things like this. It seems like when I go to look for info I only find one side or the other.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
ljmahr said:
Actually I like that you openned this thread. Since we will be having a boy finally in September this is something I have to think about. I like having both sides of the story. Although I wish I could find a neutral site about things like this. It seems like when I go to look for info I only find one side or the other.
And that is TOTALLY your decision. There is nothing wrong with not circumcising your child if that's what you choose to do. It's a tough decision either way. Believe me, I know. I hope you find some of the information helpful in your decision. :)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
ljmahr said:
this is so true...just like vaxing it's hard to find a site that isn't 100% for or against. I find it best to just take info from both sides and make the choices for myself

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Currently, the practice of newborn circumcision is very common. It has been estimated that 60%-75% of all males in the United States are circumcised. This number, of course, varies depending upon ethnicity and religious affiliation.

Regarding newborn circumcision, most physicians today agree with the practice of informing parents of the risks and benefits of the procedure in an unbiased manner. Recently, however, several large studies revealed a 60% decrease in HIV[/URL] transmission in circumcised males compared to uncircumcised males. This may ultimately influence some changes in recommendations in the near future.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?li=MNI&amp;ArticleKey=7685[/url]