Wisc Dells Devastation - footage of home swept away...

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
WMTV - HomePage Madison Wisconsin News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News, School Closings, Severe Weather Select the link about the house swept away...

I've never seen anything quite like this. The entire (large) home goes into the river in one piece, bobs along for a second and then just goes... I don't think I've ever seen footage show so graphically the power of water.
(this happened after the earthen dam broke due to so much rain, spilling ALL of Lake Delton into the Wisc River).

This is particularly sad, because the Dells depends on tourism for survival. It is what the economy is entirely based on. It's already a tough economy - what are people going to do with such a slap?

I am originally from Baraboo and the Dells is a huge part of my past. I used to sit on the cliffs above Lake Delton for hours. I can't even imagine.... it breaks my heart

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I seen some on the news this morning...it was all so sad. We were actually plannign on taking a trip there soon with the kids

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
It is heart breaking. The dells have been a big part of our lives too. I just can't believe how bad it is. They've even drained the lake! unreal!

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
the lake drained itself. The dam gave way and it all went spilling out. That's what pulled the house right off the foundation. (Again, WMTV's video of that is amazing)
I guess they are saying it should only take 2 weeks for it to refill from the river, but there's alot to get figured out first...

Baraboo has numerous priceless circus artifacts right along the river which are being moved to higher ground to protect them, but if the lake redstone dam breaks, it could be a big problem. That would be horrible, as most of that stuff is one of a kind an irreplacable...

In near by Rock Springs, cars are underwater in some places, the AP is reporting that there was 5 feet of water in front of the bank, gas station, post office and bar (which is everything in RS, exept private homes)

On the plus side - you may be able to get some great bargains, Fallon! Hotel rates will go down because they won't be overbooked and I am guessing that a lot of facilities are going to provide special rates and promotions to encourage people to continue to visit... and I really hope they do, because the residents of the Dells depend on that for survival...