Woah, huge scare with an Allergic reaction!...

he.loves.her

PF Regular
Feb 27, 2008
Iowa
Well, there's a new worker at my daughter's day care center. SOMEHOW she mixed up my kid with someone else's and Lyric didn't get her gluten free lunch. That means she consumed gluten. Yikes. She had an allergic reaction. I was called to the office during school where I was informed of this, and basically I took off running, I mean, I just bolted down the steps, to my car and drove. I finally got to Lyric and I had to wait (that's probably the worst thing I'll ever experience, scare wise) and finally a nurse came out announcing that I could go and see Lyric. So I started bawling which was embarrassing, because I should probably be really tough, or whatever, but I'm a big whimp when it comes to my daughter... anyway, the gluten caused and allergic reaction...
Lyr's fine, but she was in the hospital for three days. Day one was day of the reaction, days two and three were observation. So she's home now and I took her to school today because she's still terrified, and I'M still terrified. But I had in school detention, anyway, for just leaving the building :arghh: They would've done the same thing if it was their kid!
But, that's where I've been the past few days. I'm still scared shitless because it was awful to see Lyr, my tiny little girl so sad and terrified, and she couldn't breath! Awful! And I wasn't even with her, I feel like an awful dad, like I've totally failed her... I'm so pissed off that they had the new worker hand out meals when obviously there are tons of allergies to keep in mind and kids need to have the workers who know their names and conditions deal with their meals.
There's my novel.
The end.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
:mad: OMG I'm so glad she's ok. Please don't blame yourself, it wasn't your fault! They are at fault and if you ask me, they should be the ones paying the medical bills. I know you probably don't care at all about the $, you are just glad your daughter is ok, but this is not alright.

Even a new worker should have been given specific instructions about each child before being left to feed them. I'm angry for you.

You are not an awful dad, you are doing the best you can, and it's apparent how much you love your daughter.

I think you need to speak with the day care manager or something. Not sure, but you can't let this go.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
That makes me so angry that they mixed up her lunch with someone else's!!! Poor kiddo. I hope you let that daycare have it!!!

It's okay to cry when it comes to your children. I've seen men do it before...including my own husband, once. I think it's sweet to see a daddy care so much about his child, sometimes you don't see it too often.

You do the best you can. Don't worry about in school suspension. You'll still get your work done at least. Stuff happens.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
{{{HUGS}}} Both my kids have life threatening nut allergies, so I know how scary it is. I would be livid with the daycare center for being so careless. I certainly hope the worker has been reprimanded and steps have been taken to be sure this does not happen again. You got in school suspension for leaving the building in the event of an emergency?! I would be fighting that, especially if it will negatively effect your grades.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Why would the school give you punishment? It is a family emergency. You should speak to the principal about that.
Also I would ask that the school compansates you. They should have to pay for the medical bills and also some free daycare for a while. That is horrible.
I am so glad you and your daughter are alright.
I know the scare well. ^i^

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I am so sorry...but I'm glad to hear she is ok. Are they going to do anything about this at the daycare center?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I agree with the others. You did nothing wrong. You are just trying to make it through school and give your dd a good life!! I hope they pay dearly for what they did.

symphonyodd

PF Regular
Mar 3, 2008
Knee deep in laundry
That was totally uncalled for! I would be making sure that would NEVER happen again.. and as far as medical bills? They'd be footing it!

What school do you go too?

(((HUGS))) to you and your sweet dd.

Shari Nielsen

PF Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2008
CT
I can't believe if you explained your situation to an administrator that they wouldn't give you anything more than a "talking to" just to cover their butts "they need to account for students at all times, etc.". But that should be it!!!

I would also make sure that your daughter's school compensates you for hospital/dr.s bills. If you don't make a big deal out of it and scare them then they might not take actions so this doesn't happen again to either your dd or someone else's little one. Threaten to put it in the local paper if they don't work w/ you.

he.loves.her

PF Regular
Feb 27, 2008
Iowa
Thanks everyone for your support. I've realized that I've been ripped off by a lot of things since I joined this forum and kind of got an idea of how things work. Example: State assistance and food stamps... I'm not seeing that, and I have no idea who to talk to to change it. I should qualify for food stamps and health care assistance... I think. I get a check for 250 once a month. And that's it. Yeah, I'm really pissed off that I got in school for going to the hospital to see my daughter, but it's easier to bring her to school if I'm in in school, so in an odd sort of way it worked to benefit me. I'd love to get Lyric's day care center to pay for the medical costs and I actually did discuss that with them. And we're supposed to be sitting down this weekend to discuss that further. I'm trying to get everything together. It's so stressful though, when things like this happen. Because right now I'm trying to qualify for scholarships so I can go to college and support Lyric.. Finals are right around the corner... Everything is just a huge stress lately. I'm feeling overwhelemed and I don't know what to do.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Foodstamp help and assistance for Iowa
http://www.workworld.org/wwwebhelp/food_stamp_program_overview_iowa.htm[/URL]
Another
http://www.dhs.state.ia.us/Consumers/Assistance_Programs/FoodAssistance/index.html[/URL]
You will have to call and possibly fill out an application online. If not you go down there. It's a pain in the butt, but you need them badly. That's what it's there for sweetheart. Use them. Good luck. Come back if you need help. :)