Wondering if your kids are using drugs...

Geoff L

PF Regular
Jun 2, 2008
Most of the parents of today were surely exposed to drugs in their youth? Some of the posts on here look like they are form parents of the 50's!
I had my first doobie when I was 15 in 1982. I am amazed at the parents on here who are saying they will call the Police. Chill out and get educated - or you will live to be old and bitter without a meaningful relationship with your kids. FACT - Recreational drugs are here to stay and the vast majority of teenagers will partake of them. Re read the posts from the two teenagers who have responded on here. I plan on sharing a doob with my kids when they are older.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
FooserX said:
There are also plenty of kids out there who never try drugs or give in to peer pressure.
:takeabow: *raises hand* And no I've never sniffed paint, LOL I just don't give a crap about "peer pressure" or what other people think. Has to do a lot with how I was raised. You don't want your kids to do drugs? Dogs are not the answer-you are.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I tried smoking pot once. I never ever did drugs. I might be willing to now...whatcha got?

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Geoff L said:
I am amazed at the parents on here who are saying they will call the Police.
I agree with you there. Once your in the system your branded for life.

Geoff L said:
plan on sharing a doob with my kids when they are older.
That is nuts. I remember the cool parents that used to smoke pot with their kids. They had a girl and a boy. The girl was pregnant by 16 and the boy was in jail by 17 for possesion.

I smoked pot for a very long time, and looking back at it now I can't believe how stupid I was. As an adult I only smoked it in my house but I could have easily been pulled over when picking it up. I'm also very grateful that no emergencies came up when I was high. I can't imagine having to go to the hospital or have to call the cops after smoking a 'doobie'.

I kind of understand telling your kids that if you have to experiment to do so at home but that also tells them that it is ok to experiment. Not only that but you can also have the CPS or the police on you like white on rice for allowing it.

Patrick702

Jun 14, 2008
Having two teenagers, one 19 and the other 17, I've learned one thing about drug use.

If you're kids have a problem with drugs, you'd know. Smoking pot every once in a while isn't a problem, something like 60% of kids will try it by senior year. Kids will be kids.

But a problem is something like a cocaine addiction, heroin addiction, which is quite obvious.

Finding out you're 17 year old has smoked pot is not a big deal.

Parents, just accept the fact that you cannot make decisions for you're kids. If they want to smoke pot, I guarantee you they already have.

Hiring these people to invade you're home and find a gram of pot in you're 17 year olds room is a joke. Like I said, anything serious enough, and you will know.

GeoffL- Couldnt have said it better myself. Seriously, I've met parents who are so ridiculously obsessed with the subject its disturbing.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
I find this a conundrum. i remember what i got up to as a kid and don't want mine doing it but then I also don't reel like I can really be to zero tolerance about it. i figure educate about the risks, ban it from being in the house and perhaps ground her if she is stupid enough to let me catch her.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Patrick702 said:
Finding out you're 17 year old has smoked pot is not a big deal.

Parents, just accept the fact that you cannot make decisions for you're kids. If they want to smoke pot, I guarantee you they already have.
For you, maybe...for me, it would be a big deal, and they all three know it, and know why. And they respected my home, and my beliefs...and they didn't smoke as long as they lived here. I know that my now 22 yr old smoked a few times after he moved out, but he hated it, and hasn't done it since. My 18 yr old says she will never smoke it because of things she's seen. My fifteen year old has no interest in alcohol or drugs, also because of things she's seen.

Again, all teens are different, and I've been blessed with teens who, for the most part, have a good head on their shoulders (when they choose to use it), and who don't want anything to get in the way of their future.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
FooserX said:
I'm so glad you're on these forums Teresa. :)
Thanks Fooser....sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong century or something, with my "old-fashioned" attitudes and rules. :D

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Teresa said:
Thanks Fooser....sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong century or something, with my "old-fashioned" attitudes and rules. :D

No way!

I'm glad there are other people out there with higher standards for themselves, and their children. I hate this "it's no big deal...there's nothing you can do" attitude that some people have.

As parents we are the #1 influence on our children. Not myspace, or peers, or TV.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I also agree with Teresa, Fooser and anyone else on that boat. It is a big deal. Sure some, probably most kids will do pot a few times, drink a few times and come out as adults perfectly fine and healthy. Others will be killed in car accidents while drinking, others will be killed from smoking pot (laced with something they didn't know was there). yay I think I will stick with the "It's abig deal" group.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Nice to hear it....sometimes I feel like I'm out there all alone!! Good to hear that parents of younger children still think the same way I do.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Teresa said:
Nice to hear it....sometimes I feel like I'm out there all alone!! Good to hear that parents of younger children still think the same way I do.

You're definitely not alone. ;)