Working or Stay at Home?...

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
Who here is a working parent and who is stay at home?

I just was wondering who was working/stay at home and how long have you been doing that?

I am a working single mother of my 3 angels. As some of you know I was married as of a couple weeks ago but its over now. I was a single mom of Aaron and Lily before I met Robert so this is nothing new to me...still just as hard but definately doable. We were together for 5 years with a 10 month "break" last year so all-in-all I have been a single mom for 4 years (3 before Robert, 1 during and now).

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
I am...I teach in my recording studio in the basement of my home. Kayleigh is in school Mon Wed and every second Friday, her school is a block away so I pick her up at 3pm and my first student shows up at 3:30pm. I have been doing this since she was born. She is showing signs of responsibility so there is no longer a need for a babysitter while I teach, she usually hangs out in my studio with me, and if she wants to go to her playroom, we use walkie talkies and I check on her every chance I get. This summer I will be touring and she will be with me, and I have hired a babysitter to come with us to stay with her in the hotel rooms while I perform, other band members are bringing kids and SO's, so she will have plenty of people around and things to do. It's about a six week tour.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
I think that is great that you can take her with you. She is going to see so much and have a blast...imagine the stories she gets to tell her friends when she gets home? :D

I work about 50 hrs a week normally...5-6 days a week. My sister has my kids while I work. On the weekends I don't see them much because I work overnights, During the week I work 2 days at 4, Aaron and Lily get off at 3:05 so I see them for about 15 min. It is hard sometimes but they understand that mommy has to work to provide for them. My boss is really good at letting me off for a couple hours if needed. Aaron and Kyla had a dentist appt right in the mid of my shift...my boss let me go for 2 hrs to get that taken care of so that helps alot.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I'm a SAHM and have been since she was born. I actually quit my job (as a registered vet tech) when I was two months pg. Its hard to work at a vet clinic and be pregnant. lol I couldn't do anesthesia, I couldn't clean cat boxes, I couldn't do dentals, I couldn't handle some medications and its hard to hold down an 80 pound pit bull!! lol

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I started working PT when Oliver turned a year. Now I work 12 hours a week.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I'm a stay at home mom. I've been a SAHM for most of the last 22 years, with a few breaks where it was financially necessary for me to go back to teaching. I have taught third grade, kindergarten, preschool, and adult education.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I'm a SAHM and have been since my first baby was born almost 12 years ago. Before kids I taught for ten years (PreK, Elementary). DH and I were married for 8 years before starting a family. That entire time we were both working FT and planning and preparing to drop down to one salary.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
You SAHP are awesome. I couldn't do it. I don't have the personality to be able to stay at home. I have to work to feel as though I am contributing. It's kind of weird I guess. I dropped out of school :0 when I was 16 so I could work (dumb idea of my lifetime, lemme tell you!) but that is just the way I am.

Like I said, you guys rock. :D

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I agree you have to have the right personality. Of course just cuz we stay home doesn't mean we actaully stay home lol. Not that you meant that in any way, just stating it. lol

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
oh no not at all!!!! You said nothing like that, just making a statement after responding to you. lol Does that makes sense?

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I was a single mom, who had to work outside the home, of my oldest two for 5 1/2 yrs. Then I found my hubby and we got marrried and I have been a SAHM for the past 4 yrs. I do babysit other peoples kids at home for about 1 yr. now. So I guess that makes me a SAHWM lol.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
lol I work at church 2-3 times a week for about 12 hours a week... but she comes with me.. does that count as working?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
.:Kalli Rae:. said:
You SAHP are awesome. I couldn't do it. I don't have the personality to be able to stay at home. I have to work to feel as though I am contributing. It's kind of weird I guess. I dropped out of school :0 when I was 16 so I could work (dumb idea of my lifetime, lemme tell you!) but that is just the way I am.

Like I said, you guys rock. :D
I know exactly how you feel. I used to be a FT professional. :)

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
I love paying my own way in this world. It feels good to me to pay my own bills and have my own responsibilities. If I fail it is because of me and not because of my dependency on someone else. My ex-husband failed me miserably in that department and I vowed a cpl years ago to never let anyone fail me or my children but me. If I succeed its because I worked hard for whatever it is I have.

It would be awesome if I could make my own way AND be there for my children whenever they need me but the path I have taken in life dictates I work odd hours so I am not always there which is sad. They know I work as hard as I do so we can have the things we need/want.

I'm not trying to say my way is better than anyone else, this is JMHO.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I thin kit is sad that you can't always be there for your kids. But you are right that they know why you work and I am sure they are very proud of you.
Even as a sahm there will come a time that I can't be there for my child. Scary but true