Working out of the home/school?...

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Just curious - how many here work outside the home and/or attend school? I'm in school now and probably will work outside the home starting sometime in the next year. It would be nice to hear some happy stories.

ntbuddy

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan City, Indiana
We do home day care during the summer but in the winter and during school it doesn't seem best. I think it's the best as I've always thought a stay at home Mom is best for the kids and that alone is and should be considered a fulltime job.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I substitute teach so I am off when my children are off. It's a great job. Now....mind you, middle school and high schools can be tough! But I really enjoy what I do. There is decent money in it.

kjcandles

Jan 22, 2008
New Hampshire
I have always worked outside of the home. After my 2nd I was working part-time for a while until my marriage failed when my girls were 6 months & 2 years. Then I had to find full-time work. I would have loved to have been able to stay home with my girls when they were little.

The hardest thing about working full-time is finding good daycare, and the guilt that I always felt about being away from them for so long. I took advantage of the evenings and weekends to be with them constantly. I didn't have much of a social life for a long time. But I wouldn't do anything differently. I did get a chance to do things for myself when they were with their Dad.

Also, once they were in school full days, it was easier. I also finally found a wonderful home daycare when they were 5 & 3 and they were there until they didn't need after school or vacation care anymore.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
ntbuddy said:
We do home day care during the summer but in the winter and during school it doesn't seem best. I think it's the best as I've always thought a stay at home Mom is best for the kids and that alone is and should be considered a fulltime job.
Unfortunately if I don't work my kids starve as I am divorced. Having the daycare is a great way to be home with my kids.

ntbuddy

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan City, Indiana
jenilouise said:
Unfortunately if I don't work my kids starve as I am divorced. Having the daycare is a great way to be home with my kids.
I understand that you must work. We're lucky that Dana does it so she has free spending money for the auctions we go to and it also gives a great way for the kids to play with others being we're out in the country. I think it's awesome that you do that as it's a great way of being with your kids and I know when I grew up with my Mother being home it meant more to me as I grew up. John

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Starting next week, I will be out of the house during the week pretty much the entire time my twins are awake. :( Although it seems like most of the women on this forum are SAHMs, I was wondering about those who work outside of the home. Did your relationship with your kids change? If so, how? Did your perception of yourself as a mother change?

I also will be gone a lot next year and for several years after. When I look at my young twins (17 months) and think about being away for so long, it just seems unbearable. Any suggestions or encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Just to add to the whole blaaaaaaah/eeeeeeek of the whole situation: my son is going to the ped on Friday to evaluate for spina bifida occulta. I spotted a tuft of hair on his very low back. I knew this can be a sign of spina bifida, along with a dimple, which I can't tell if he has. Even if he has SPO, it is likely to be so minor as to not need correction. But having this the Friday before my schedule explodes on Monday just makes me more worried - about his back and about other things that might be missed when I am gone.

Bleh, please send good thoughts.