Wrong place?...

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
Well, during my u/s a couple weeks ago I was told that my placenta is in the front of the uterus instead of on top like normal. With the other 4 girls it was always in the normal spot. The doc said not to worry about it and it doesn't mean anything. I can't help but wonder if this could possibly be a problem. Like maybe placenta prevea(sp??)? Anyone else have this?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I'm not sure hun. If he said not to worry then don't. My daughters are fraternal, had two seperate sacs and shared one placenta. Maybe I'm dumb but I thought they should have had a placenta each.
Do a google search to ease your mind.
See, leave it to a boy to do things differently!

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
It sounds like you are fine. While the placenta doesn't move, it is going to change position relative to the cervix as you progress so it probably will end up in a slightly different spot later.

The placenta was partially on top of my cervix early on. But near the end of my pregnancy it was far enough away so that previa wasn't a concern. My understanding is that this is very common, so you shouldn't worry about previa until much later in the pregnancy.

Hope everything is going well for the 2 of you! :)

chars24

PF Regular
May 27, 2008
I had low lying placenta with my daughter at 13 weeks which was diagnosed when i started bleeding. :( Thankfully, by 25th week it totally went up and things were fine. A placenta is called low lying when it covers the internal OS or cervix. But usually as the uterus grows the placenta also moves up. In your case, the placenta is just lying in the front, rather than the back side of the uterus, that's it. I presume it is absolutely normal. Only thing would be that you will feel less of your boy's kicks on the tummy as compared to a woman who has posterior placenta. Good luck! :)