X Rays......

freesia

Feb 7, 2008
My daughter is almost a year old. She overcame a very serious illness when she was younger, and as part of the diagnostics, she required multiple x-rays (skeletal survey). Should I be freaked out that she was exposed to radiation when she was only 5 weeks old? Was anyone else's kid x-rayed as a baby?

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
When my DD was two weeks old, they sedated and CAT scanned her to test for hydrocephaly. So I understand that it is scary.

But remind yourself how long X-rays have been in use. They have decades of data on use of X-rays on people of all ages. It seems to me that it is a well-tested piece of equipment and should be safe. Think of how many x-rays the techs are exposed to.

There are so many things to worry about as a parent...

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Before diagnosing my DD with GERD as an infant, they did an upper GI to rule out something more serious. I wasn't worried about it. They don't just give x-rays to anyone just for the heck of it. Symptoms are present that warrant using x-rays as a diagnostic tool to determine proper treatment. What if they didn't do x-rays and a serious health issue was left undetected?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
My dh is a radiation therapist and I asked him and he said nothing to worry about. It would have to be very high doses and all the time. No worries.

freesia

Feb 7, 2008
Thanks guys - especially musicmom, thanks so much for asking your dh.

I feel better now!:)