Yard Sales!...

Shacoya

Jan 10, 2008
WA State
If you don't "do" yard sales, you are missing out!

Remembering the yard sale of my dreams.

My Mom, (yard sale cohort) and I arrive at a yard sale, and the first items we see are the ever present Household Junk tables. I quickly walk past, scanning to see if it's a "good" sale, or if we should leave...

I get to the clothing section, and start quickly skimming through...

OMGosh!!! A wonderful NAME BRAND outfit just the size of my daughter! In PERFECT condition! And another... And another... my heart is beating so fast, and I turn towards the Host of the sale, and ask "How much each for the clothes?" She replies "25 cents". Oh My.
I called my Mom over, and don't even have to tell her why... she automatically starts grabbing items she thinks will be suitable. I keep looking around thinking someone surely will come and want to buy up these clothes! But it was just my day. I left there with 2 Garbage Bags... the 39 gallon size! Full of perfect condition clothing, in brands I'd never be able to afford new, in sizes that fit my daughter not just now but for the next year! Also, boots, shoes, jackets, coats, snowsuits, belts etc. I almost felt guilty for the incredible deal I was getting.

I think after that sale, it took me days to calm down from the remembered excitement. I paid just under $40.00 for the whole haul of loot.

Since that day, I have continued to find some incredible deals, and have shared the excitement of Yard Sales with my daughter. Now, during the season, three generations of us spend happy Saturdays, and come home with our "loot" and still have money in our purses!

:speechwhoohoo:

*Bows to the Yard Sale Deity*

Ok Parents, do you have Yard Sale stories to tell?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I don't really have any to tell, but my in laws are in that bussiness in a sence. They buy storage units that people don't pay the rent on. After they buy them they sell the stuff. We have gotten so much from them. A twin sleigh bed for Nichole, a new stove, 2 recliners, a home movie recorder!!! Just to name a few

Shacoya

Jan 10, 2008
WA State
Wow! Sounds like some nice stuff! I bet they can get some amazing things buying the whole locker contents like that. I've met a few people who do the same. It would seem so fun to me...like buying the biggest surprise box ever.

Your post reminded me though of a sad/funny situation. One time, while Saleing with a girlfriend, we went to a sale at a mini storage facility. She was at first shocked, and then couldn't quit giggling as she bought a few of her old things back!
Seems when she left her ex husband, who was very abusive, she walked away with just her clothes and a few family heirlooms in the middle of the night. He had been living off of her income, and had to put everything in storage, and move in with a friend. She was divorced, and had no idea what had ever happened to all of her previous possessions. It made her feel good to know he had lost everything she thought she had given up in getting away safely.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
OMG what are the odds of that! Thas great that she was able to buy some of her stuff!!!

Oh yay, they go to these auctions of them every other week, and one unit did not sell. Well they were not there that day but hte owner, who knows them from buying/selling, called them and asked if they would buy a unit for 35 bucks. He just wanted to get rid of it. Well they bought it and it was full of paintings by this African American artist from La. One of his paintings in the unit was appraised at 10,500!~!!!! They also had a few paintings under 1500 and a bunch of prints at 500 bucks each!!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yay it definately was a good day. Now they are in contact with a few musseums that want to buy the painitngs

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
At our Goodwill I always find mint condition brand name clothing. They get stuff from the more well off Oregonians. My favorite find was a Ralph Lauren jacket that had never been worn for 25 cents. Isabella loved that jacket.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I'm picky about clothes. I'll buy sale clothes at the stores but I'm not a yard sale clothes shopper. I always feel guilty when I look at everything and walk back to my car empty handed. I always wonder if they think "we must have garbage" hahaha Most of the time it is.
We have tons of Haitians here and they will grab tons of clothes and not let you see them and say "one dollar, one dollar" and you tell them "NO" and they keep on and on until finally you have to take the clothes and say "NO!" They want like ten pairs of jeans for one dollar. I understand a bargain but at least go reasonable.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
<r><FONT font="Arial"><s></s>I think yard sale shopping is just buying other people’s garbage.<e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s> <e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s>My wife loves them though. Like…she’ll show me some bucket she got for 2 dollars. I’m just like “You do realize that if you didn’t buy that…they were going to throw that away?? You didn’t win, they did!” lol Some people think just because you spend a few bucks on something, it’s a bargain – not if you don’t use it! We have so much crap my wife has gotten from yard sales that we’ve never even touched.<e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s> <e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s> <e></e></FONT></r>

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
well your wife doesn't know what she is doing then. Why buy things you don't need or want, that's just crazy. As I said I have gotten a brand new stove (still had factory plastic on it and it is not junk!! I love it actually. I also have gotten great clothes for Nichole with tags on. Places like Childrens place that I can't really afford to buy for her otherwise