Yelling Match...

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Denver, Colorado 3oh3! <3
There is nothing I find more annoying than being over talked, interrupted and not even listened to.
My mom manages to do all of that in one sentence.

And it usually ends up with me screaming at the top of my lungs what I want to say and starting what I was saying over and repeating each time she interrupts me. Yes, that's highly annoying, I know. Or slamming/hitting something to get her attention.

I don't know what to do anymore.
My mom refuses to talk like a civilized adult and lately I have been resorting to measures like I described.
I refuse to be unheard or not listened to.

She told me not to leave my fan running when we aren't home. I told her if I don't keep my fan on my laptop it will over heat and shut off.
So she told me to turn my laptop off when I left then. I refuse to do that. I have a program I keep running and am not going to shut it off.

But she wouldn't answer my question, I kept asking over and over again and finally started slapping my palm on the wall next to me, A) it pisses her off and B) usually it gets her to pay attention long enough for me to say what I need to say.

She slammed the door in my face, this is after calling me something like a stupid b!tch from hell and emo. I'm hardly emo.

And she was harassing me in the car. She kept hitting the side of my face playing around and trying to jab a straw in my ear and up my nose, even though I asked her to stop and even yelled it at her and she knew I was serious. Like I told you guys before, I'm super sensitive when it comes to people hitting my face, I don't like it, it makes me jumpy and it all stems from being hit across the face a lot as a child and teenager.

I feel like I am talking to an invalid. I feel as if I am dealing with a 13 year old.

Out of this question, I want to gain a few things:
1. Tips for talking to her.
2. Ways to get her to listen.
3. Ways to get her to stop hitting my face.

I didn't go to bed last night, because yet again I couldn't fall asleep. So, I am going to bed now and will be back later to check this question. So if you have questions don't expect them to get answered quickly.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
First of all, you shouldn't leave your laptop running. Desktops are able to function like that, but laptops aren't meant to run all day. They will overheat even with a fan on them, and they are only meant for periodic use by nature, which is why they are so much more compact than a desktop. Desktops are equipped to be much more resiliant than laptops. I say this only because I know how much it sucks to figure that out after its too late. I actually had a laptop (which I ran day and night, because I had a constant program just like you) that straight up lit on fire. Yes, on fire. And it was ruined forever and all my saved files are gone forever. If only I would have turned it off once in a while -sigh-. That, and use a can of airduster on it. I did that to my (new) laptop the other day and it doesn't heat up nearly as hot as it did before. Its an incredible difference, you wont regret doing it. And yeah, I do think its dumb she had to pick a fight with you over a fan. There's no way that thing uses enough electricity to make any noticeable difference in her electric bill. I know, my guy is an electrician. I'm talking to him about it right now and he thinks at most IF you left it on literally 24/7 it MIGHT cost MAYBE like $5 in an entire month. MAYBE.

Anyway, yeah I feel your pain. My biological mom has the mentality of a crazy 11 year old, and she thinks she's a character in an LMN movie. Its really a disturbing picture. But we wont go there.

I feel really bad for you, because I totally know. The only thing I can say is to look forward to being away from her. I got to the same point you're at right now after a while, and I realized I'm stressing over nothing because even if she HEARS your point, you will never actually get it across to her. Its not worth your time or your worry or the stress. I used to flip out and try to say nasty things to try to make her "snap out of it" but the day will never come. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Its like trying to tell someone with OCD that their hands are clean. They wont believe you, even if it obviously makes sense.

I can really only say this stuff now that I'm away from her, and someday you'll be able to look at people and say "Oh don't mind her, she's just crazy. Everybody knows she's crazy. She doesn't really know what she's saying". Ha, but for real. Everyone knows my mom has a problem and blows off the stupid things she says to them. The time will come for you too, don't worry. It will come before you know it. Life is short.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Denver, Colorado 3oh3! <3
She thinks the fan is going to catch on fire.
She has this paranoia of things catching on fire.

She makes us unplug everything in the house before we go on vacation. Everything turned off before we leave.

She has some deep rooted paranoia issues.
If my brother doesn't answer and come to her the first time she calls his name, I can hear the panic in her voice when she calls him again.
She doesn't like him to take a shower when she isn't home.
If I have the car and she hears sirens she immediately calls me panicked and gets pissed when I don't answer. FFS, she doesn't allow me to talk on the phone when im driving, she has no reason to get pissed if I don't answer while driving.
I could go on.

Its nucking futs.

I am actually getting the old desktop tomorrow :D
I can run the program twice (IRC) and just double log myself in and shut off the laptop when I leave home.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh good, glad you're getting a desktop. :) That will be more convenient.

Yeah, she sounds really difficult to deal with. Just hang in there and keep to yourself. :/