Your Baby Can Read program....

BenDavis503

PF Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2008
Portland, OR
Does anyone do this with your child? I wont post any links or anything. But has anyone heard of it or own it? I have it and let me tell you. It is great!

My 22 month old is learning so much and it is fun to do with him! He gets so excited and he loves the flash cards and to sing the songs on the program.

Just curious, does anyone else use this product?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
i think it's hooey - You can do the same thing by reading books with them Read along and get them to follow your finger. They won't do the kind of tricks the kids do in the ads, but I think they learn more in the long run. They follow the page, recognize characters with sounds and context, they enjoy the time spent reading, they understand how reading works, and it's more fun that plunking them down in front of a video.

BenDavis503

PF Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2008
Portland, OR
IADad said:
(did I really just say "Hooey" God, I'm old...)
LoL! I read books with him too. I really enjoy the program so far though. I don't just sit him in front of the TV and make him watch it. I act it out with him, point to my nose when they say nose, sing the songs with him and all that I can do with him to help him learn.

I think it is pretty cool! I know I could it all myself, but I don't have time to make videos and flash cards :)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
good, sounds like it's fun thing to do with your son, and that can never be bad. I think there are some people who think they can just get the program and leave their kids to it and that's a shame. Just like how we bought the potty training for dummies book and neither one of the kids have made an effort to read it!! ;-)

Nes

PF Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2009
Canada
lmao "potty training for dummies"

Ben I feel the same way about those sorts of videos, the baby Einsteins and such too. We sit together and act out the words or mommy names the things on the screen. Whether it's the videos or not Lucas has an incredible vocabulary for a child his age. We still do lots & lots & lots of reading (and lots, and lots and lots... he loves it!) which I see as equally beneficial to the videos.

It's the same way as Seasame street or Word world or Sid the Science kid or Mighty Machines or Wheel of Fortune* (his FAVOURITES!). Honestly there are some days where I have to plunk him down in front of the screen for 10 minutes so I can get things done around the house, but for the most part I try really hard to be sitting with him and engaging him every time the TV is on.

*Yes I did mean wheel of fortune, he LOVES it!!

Plus the videos are really good for rainy-day activities to get little bums moving! I miss the sing-a-long videos I had as a child (and I don't mean Barney :angry:)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh yeah, I believe it works, but like IADad said, I also think its really really important to actually just plain read books to your kids too. I've been thinking about getting the program for Eli though, because he doesn't seem to know much about reading or letters. He knows ALL of his colors, and ALL of his shapes down to a T!!! And he counts to ten perfectly!! But he only recognizes a few letters, and he doesn't sing his ABC's. I try to read with him often, and the most I get out of that is that he knows when a book is upside down and will fix it lol. He has also memorized some stuff out of certain books he really likes. But he doesn't show much sign of understanding when it comes to reading or letter recognition and whatnot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not WORRIED I mean heck he just turned 2 September 1st, but I'd like to get him familiar and I think the videos would help.

IADad - Its not just videos either, the program is made up of several different elements including DVD's, pop-up books, books, and flash cards. There is a lot to the package, but I suppose the DVD's are the main thing. But I mean... Eli learns so much off of TV, I can't complain. :p

Nes

PF Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2009
Canada
BenDavis503 said:
That is adorable that your child likes wheel of fortune!!! How cute!
LOVES!!!!! Since he was a newborn. I don't know if it's the colours or the wheel, or that he seems to have a HUGE crush on Vanna... :wink:.

It's actually fairly educational so we let him watch it, plus I can make dinner with out him "helping"!

Momnonymous

PF Regular
Jun 1, 2009
lol my daughter has always loved Wheel of Fortune too.
I use Baby Can Read, and they don't seem to be reading any of the things taught by it... My daughter has kind of started to read, but only tv titles... she'll look at the tv guide to see what time things she wants to watch come on :eek:

BenDavis503

PF Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2008
Portland, OR
My son is now starting to sing along with the songs, do the movements and he is starting to do the action words.

When the video says Hands Up, he looks at me, puts his hands up and smiles. I think he is learning from it! I love it!

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
Sorry for the bump of the old thread, but it's exactly relevant.

My grandparents bought Ailsa this series. I couldn't figure out where I'd heard of it until this morning.

I haven't really been looking into it very much, but we played her the 'starter' DVD. She's absolutely enthralled by it. Loves the smiley babies, kids, and interesting animals.

I'll have to look more into it. The package came with all kinds of flash cards, CDs and stuff. Looks good.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
zeitgeist said:
I haven't really been looking into it very much, but we played her the 'starter' DVD. She's absolutely enthralled by it. Loves the smiley babies, kids, and interesting animals.
Kinda reminds me of baby einstein!! I dunno if i would buy it for hayleigh, just for the simple fact that she is ahead of her milestone for talking and she can point out characters, colors, shapes etc...and she turns 2 in february. BUT that being said, if i was ever able to have another baby, I might buy it if its still the "thing" to do :) (we know how stuff goes through the infomercials like hot cakes... ;) )

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
I think they are pretty good, although I didnt buy my set of videos.
Since Elliott has only had his hearing aids for about 2 months he is just now learning to associate words and sounds with objects and actions. He will watch and repeat the words after the kids and if he knows the sign for it he will do that too.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I'd love to have it. Eli is very smart, and he knows a lot already (he can identify all of his shapes, colors, and letters, and a couple numbers, and he's a very advanced talker) but I think it would just add to what he already knows. I especially like that he could learn to read. That's so important.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
ya know, I don't know if it works long term or not, but I'm thinking it can't hurt. My eldest was a very bright baby, not just my opinion, there were some others like his preschool teacher and my sister, who's a visual literacy "expert" but somewhere along the line he hit a roadblock with reading. He's working through it now and coming up to his age group, but the last year or so has been a struggle, and as a parent I keep thinking about all those things we could have done, and I worry about him catching up and I fear that being a slower reader now is going to slow his development in other course areas. I know he's still you and working at a good time to be able to overcome it, so I guess I'm coming around to the opinion that we should do anything and everything we can to teach, especially reading skills.