Your opinion?...

NickW345

Jul 30, 2014
Back when I was in High School one of my friends tried to get one of the teachers at my school into gaming but the teacher said he doesn't want to be associated with kids who kill. Is that how people view gaming? If so the video game industry needs a massive PR campaign. Do you have any negative feelings on this form of entertainment? I hope one day this form of media is treated with respect as a mature artistic medium.

Palomita

Banned
Jan 1, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
I think even some video games develop positive qualities in students.
Logical and adventure games develop the thinking and leading young people to solve important problems. Strategy games do develop imagination, I do not agree that all computer games are harmful.

Sorry for my bad english!

Last edited:

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
I think its long time since video games were made only for "little boys" -- now they make them for both genders and all ages.
Of course, the generations which grew up without video games, don't always "get" them.
Games are only harmful if people start neglecting real life.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I think uninformed people should keep their opinions to themselves ;)
Making the jump from "plays video games" to "kill" is missing quite a number of links there and anyone who thinks one equates the other probably isn't the brightest spark.

Wickett

Community Admin
Aug 1, 2014
East Central U.S.
cybele said:
I think uninformed people should keep their opinions to themselves ;)
Making the jump from "plays video games" to "kill" is missing quite a number of links there and anyone who thinks one equates the other probably isn't the brightest spark.
I completely agree. TV ads should be proof that there are still plenty of games out there for everyone. Something tells me she just thought of a way to quickly answer your question and get off the subject.

Maser

PF Regular
Sep 25, 2010
CA
The only problem with video games is when lazy parents allow video games to become the kid's parents. My kids watch me play violent video games and they have also gave them a shot as well. They know it's all fake and not to emulate it in real life.

Wickett

Community Admin
Aug 1, 2014
East Central U.S.
Maser said:
The only problem with video games is when lazy parents allow video games to become the kid's parents. My kids watch me play violent video games and they have also gave them a shot as well. They know it's all fake and not to emulate it in real life.
I agree with your first point, and for the second it's of course your right as a parent so I mean no disrespect in the slightest bit, I actually do not agree with the idea of letting kids play violent video games when they're young. Kids will say they understand a lot and are just fine mentally and emotionally if they think it'll allow them to play. It also is proven to slowly desensitize kids to things that naturally, should bother them. I didn't play them as a child, and I'm very glad I didn't. I feel like I have a better perspective on them now that I'm an adult.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
I grew up playing Doom, Quake, and Mortal Kombat :jimlad: in those days they were the sort of games that everybody (who had access to computer) played.
There were very few other games available.

I'm not disturbed by shoot 'em ups and i don't think they are that harmful how people who don't play them tend to assume.

I am way more appalled by silly time-waster games which demand you pay money and get into contact with strangers. Introducing young children to gambling is way more disturbing than cartoonish violence in recreated WW2 scenes.

ashl

Aug 7, 2014
Hi My Dear Friends.....
If you have Android device then please download "Urdu Activity Qaida" "Number Activity 123" "Kids Alphabet Activity" app on your device, rate it 5, and G+.

(English Alphabet Activity)
Play Store:
(*Free) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suave.alphabet_activity_free[/url]
(Paid) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suave.alphabet_activity[/url]

(Number Activity 123)
Play Store:
(*Free) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suave.numbers.activity.free[/url]
(Paid) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suave.numbers.activity[/url]

(Urdu Activity Qaida)
Play Store:
(*Free) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suave.urduactivity_book_free[/url]
(Paid) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suave.urduactivity_book[/url]

Wickett

Community Admin
Aug 1, 2014
East Central U.S.
TabascoNatalie said:
I am way more appalled by silly time-waster games which demand you pay money and get into contact with strangers. Introducing young children to gambling is way more disturbing than cartoonish violence in recreated WW2 scenes.
I agree with the first part of your post very much, but I'm confused by that last sentence. What about Call of Duty, Modern Warfare, or Splinter Cell is cartoonish?

Wickett

Community Admin
Aug 1, 2014
East Central U.S.
TabascoNatalie said:
Depends which edition and which devices. Computer graphics are constantly developing. What looked rather realistic a few years ago, now look cartoonish.
Well sure, but let's talk the newest generation of games that a lot of little kids are growing up playing right now. Do you think those have no negative affects on them at all?

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
I'm no expert and at home we don't have "the very latest" of everything.
The only negativities i see that kids can become quite irritable and anxious, but no difference if its Call of Duty or Super Mario. But we usually stick to 1hr a day rule, so gaming doesn't get out of hand.
Otherwise i don't think shoot 'em ups are some great danger.

Everyone can have an opinion, there are people who think any toy weapons are very wrong...:rolleyes:

Wickett

Community Admin
Aug 1, 2014
East Central U.S.
TabascoNatalie said:
Everyone can have an opinion, there are people who think any toy weapons are very wrong...:rolleyes:
We'll have to agree to disagree then on the first bit, because there's really no question that realistic violent video games desensitize kids, and that can become a scary thing. It's mentally unhealthy to be so used to extreme violence that you are no longer shaken by it. However, that last part is a bit silly in my opinion as well. Haha. Water guns were big for me as a kid.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
i found this quote today:

DO VIDEO GAMES MAKE PLAYERS AGGRESSIVE?
Computer games do make people aggressive - but not for the reason you may think.
Research from Oxford University shows that violent and non-violent games both lead to players losing their temper, when they lose.
Lack of practice, awkward controls and games that were unnecessarily difficult all caused frustration.
But, surprisingly, the actual content of the game had very little effect.
More violent games did make people feel on edge, but had no clear effect on levels of anger.
Speaking of desensitising, children and adults have a different perception of what is scary, as experience and perceptions change with age. Fairytales for example, older editions, not Disney style versions. Children are hardly bothered by medieval brutality in them, but adults do find the content often disturbing and inappropriate.

Last edited:

Wickett

Community Admin
Aug 1, 2014
East Central U.S.
TabascoNatalie said:
i found this quote today:
DO VIDEO GAMES MAKE PLAYERS AGGRESSIVE?
Computer games do make people aggressive - but not for the reason you may think.
Research from Oxford University shows that violent and non-violent games both lead to players losing their temper, when they lose.
Lack of practice, awkward controls and games that were unnecessarily difficult all caused frustration.
But, surprisingly, the actual content of the game had very little effect.
More violent games did make people feel on edge, but had no clear effect on levels of anger.
I read that article when that study was first presented. I thought it was completely false. Frustration is different than being aggressive. Kids who grow up playing violent video games too much will not understand the aggressive and violent nature as being so important. Awkward controls create a level of frustration, and yes, anger if you have a high temper, but it doesn't make you insensitive to violent deaths. Seeing violent deaths all the time is what causes that.

Speaking of desensitising, children and adults have a different perception of what is scary, as experience and perceptions change with age. Fairytales for example, older editions, not Disney style versions. Children are hardly bothered by medieval brutality in them, but adults do find the content often disturbing and inappropriate.
Do the perceptions slightly vary? Yes, but not near to the level that you're trying to take it. Kids are afraid of way more than adults are. Whenever I was young, me and other kids around me were frightened and grossed out by seeing a man slashed in a war movie. That's why the parents didn't let us watch them. If I had already seen it a hundred times and even acted it out on a realistic video game, would have been the one desensitized kid in the room. It would not have bothered me. I would have been cold to violence and killing.

I'm not sure how anyone could watch their 5 - 10 year old play a shooter game today, watching him shoot people in a realistic and violent war scenario, and be just fine with that. I loved my video games. I was completely immersed in them. I was thinking about nothing but what was on that screen. The last thing I'd want my child doing at that age is gunning a man down.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
I guess i can speak only from my own personal experience. My parents didn't exactly let me watch violent films, but if they happened to be watching something rather gruesome, and i saw it and got scared -- they didn't shoo me out of a room, they just said -- it is not real, actors are acting.
I guess that stuck and i was never bothered by any pretend violence.
As for real life, i have a very weak stomach for death. I am scared to open facebook because people post gruesome scenes from Gaza, historical photo albums scare me, i even freak out seeing roadkill. Regardless how many baddies i executed on my PC. That is the difference between real and not real.

Wickett

Community Admin
Aug 1, 2014
East Central U.S.
That's good. It's a good thing to be able to do that. Not everyone can though. I am the same in that I know what is real and what isn't. Just because I'm playing a racing game doesn't mean I'm going to reenact it on the roads, but I feel people should be very careful with this when it comes to their children's young minds. :)

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
Wickett said:
That's good. It's a good thing to be able to do that. Not everyone can though. I am the same in that I know what is real and what isn't. Just because I'm playing a racing game doesn't mean I'm going to reenact it on the roads, but I feel people should be very careful with this when it comes to their children's young minds. :)
Agree with that!!!
Just i think it should be up to parents to decide :wubclub: