Your town...

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
I remember a while ago we for some reason were discussing who lives in the city and who is out rural, I cant remember for the life of me why we were, but I was really interested in it, I lvoe hearing about different places.

So I was thinking, I want to hear all about the different places everyone lives, obviously you dont have to give out huge details like the name of the place or whatever, but id love to hear about what makes it unique and such.

As im making the thread, i'll go first (and yes, I raided google images, mwahaha)

I live in a little semi-rural town in Victoria, Australia called Christmas Hills. We supply the surrounding towns with water from Sugarloaf Reservoir. Yes, Sugarloaf Reservoir is in Christmas Hills, but unfortunately no, its no where as magical as it sounds.

Our town has a primary school (with 23 students between the ages of 5-12), a fire shed, a tennis court (a, as in one, but we do love it) and a town hall where we have town meetings. Then we have things like a general store and a bakery, but for most of our food we have to go to farmers markets in surrounding areas or take a half hour drive down to Warrandyte for the closest supermarket. We also have no public transport. People either drive or ride horses.

We have a hilly area where people race morotbikes called Rob Roy.

This is Sugarloaf Reservoir, its also a HUGE reminder of how bad the drought is at the moment. Were currently in stage 4 water restrictions, we ahve an allocated amount of water to use each day, and if we continually go over that amount, your water gets turned off for a week. The government gave us all shower times so we can make sure we dont shoer for over 2mins, and you can only water your garden with tank or grey water, using a hose is now a crime.

A neighbouring town, St Andrews, holds the St Andrews market every saturday, this is our equivalent of a mall, as we dont have one. They sell everything, clothing, soaps, jewlery, toys. Most is either hand made or second hand, but if youre willing to live out here then you dont really care about that kind of stuff. They also have alot of great vegetarian food, buskers and a hairdressing tent.

Another neighbouring town, Kangaroo Ground (where Bek goes to school) is the only post office in Australia which also doubles as a winery.

Unfortunately, we live in a high fire risk area, and many summers have seen people lose their homes here, the worst being last year.

So thats my little town.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Amy- that sounds beautiful, I am not sure however that I could do a 2 minute shower, I can barely do it in the 5-10 minutes it takes before we run out of how water :twitcy:.

We live in a rural town in Idaho, It is known as the valley, it is a desert. We sit just above the snake river, and are surrounded by the Boise mountians and the Owyhee mountian range. We have (as of 2000) approx 500 people. Sports is a big thing in this town. We have the school, which is combined, a store, a bar, a bar/restaurant, a post office, the American Legion, the LDS church, Baptist church, the Catholic church, the Non-Denomination church, and the biggest thing to happen in this town if the 4th of July, people travel here to attend every year, it is a whole day affair.

This is an old rail bridge that runs over the river

View from the bridge

Our new high/middle school

We also live not far from Silver City....one of the last remaining ghost towns.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
those are great pics. amy. :)
i'll give ya'll some links to where i'm at and some from the area i grew up in. the area is the typical amercan small town and city. depending on your experience you could love it or hate it. mine is a love-hate relationship with the area.
we call home good ole athens. it is the """Original Home of the Hamburger""""". that's debateable. there's a few other towns that want to claim that title too. so far we are winning.:D we are also the Black-Eyed Pea Capital of the World and have a festival to prove it. we also have a fiddlers' contest every year around May. all kinds of folk show up and the music is awesome.:wub: there's also a communty college and a fish hatchery--the only one that has been said to provide fish for all the nation. (i can't remember how they put it. but it had something to do with them being the only hatchery that restocks and stocks water areas in the whole U.S. with the fish that should be in them. it maybe that texas fish hatcheries do that. but i don't know 'cause i can't remeber.:mad::() the hatchery have a great july 4th fireworks every year as does many other communities in the area.
there's tons of lakes here in the area. tx is supposed to have the most man-made lakes in the nation or something like that. (agin, i can't remember.:()
i grew up around canton and in some of the other towns in the van zandt county. van zandt was the only dry county in the state until 2009. that whole area as like other places has lots of festivals and stuff all year. so there's usually something to do.
one place is the "first monday trade days" in canton. there's a saying " no one from canton does anything on that weekend because of all traffic". its most likely true. i know it is for us. the traffic is worse than being in a big city during that time of the month due to how small the area really is. its also the biggest flea market in the U.S.
yep, we love our sports and most folks love god too. texas is in the bible belt so there's no shortage of churches.

there's a couple of old sayings: " everything is bigger in texas" and "texas is like a whole other country". both tend to be very true. that may sound like its bragging but...
we are also VEry Friendly.:)
East Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Canton, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Van Zandt County, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Athens, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if i'm able to get back in here later i'll try to hunt up some pics. i never know when the internet is gonna quit lately. can't figure out what's wrong.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Awesome thread Amy, but can you resize your top pic to make it significantly smaller? It's making the thread really hard to read.

Thanks!!! :)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yes the picture is GORGEOUS but it does stretch the page haha. If you need any help let me know I'd be happy to resize it for you. :)

Well I live in North East, PA which is right next to the more commonly known Erie, PA. The city isn't the prettiest place but it does have some nice old buildings. The town we live in however is small and country, and everything in it is old haha. And of course, I'm sure you guys can figure that we live right along Lake Erie and we do have Presque Isle which is lovely, but I don't prefer to swim in it mostly.

Presque Isle State Park:

One of the beaches (but they all look like this lol):

The city of Erie from the view of the bayfront:

North East, the town I live in:

The more country view of North East:

Our town and the ones surrounding it are filled with creeks, vineyards, and train tracks haha:

Do you see that the sign on the building in the back of the last picture says Welch's? Haha that's where BF works.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Keokuk: The name means City on the rapids. sold by a drunken indian. In the old days was a big town. Medical college, Local JC hubinger put up most of the power lines in the midwest. All of that is gone. Now its a small river/ Steele mill town. Mainly working class people. Lot of old very large homes. Its a place where teenager still "cruise main" to meet in the summer. Its small and run down just the way I like it. We have one of the biggest locks and hydroelectric dams on the Mississippi.

the kids school is k thr 4th and has about 45 to 55 kids per grade. There are three grade schools

I live on the city limit line almost. Country and city a nice combo. close enough to run errands but only one neighbor close enough to hit with a arrow. Middle of the country.

Panoramio - Photo of Keokuk

Bordered on three sides by rivers we are a true river town.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Well I live in a small village but our nearest town is Grantham, thats where we do our shopping etc.

The actual place we live in is called Marston, which is actually in Lincolnshire, but we have a Nottinghamshire post code, which is generally confusing. Marston is very small, we have a primary school 4-11 with 76 pupils.

Our town is Margaret Thatcher, we also have Beverly Allit a baby murderer, but we aren't terribly proud of her...

We are a typical English sign I believe it is the only living pub sign.

these as something you plan on at the local park.

As far as memorable buildings etc we have Belvoir castle, which is quite modern, you pronounce Belvoir, Beever.

We had the first woman police officer in the UK, we have a really bad football team called the ginger breads as ginger bread was invented in the big G. The coastline of Lincolnshire has lots of these fatties.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
I live in Kamloops, British Columbia Canada. woot! lol
We are Semi-arid desert, so the summers are hot and dry.

We are definately a railroading city! lol. We have two major railroads that run through our city Canadian National Railway (which hubby works for) and Canadian Pacific Railway

CN locamotives

CP Locamotives-CP is a sponsor of the 2010 olypmics so they have the symbols on all of their new locamotives

And a few more pics lol

The train bridge over the thompson river

I was going to upload a few pics of the ski resort, but the pics i have are too big lol....

Sun Peaks Resort - Ski, Bike, and Golf in Beautiful British Columbia - take a gander its GORGEOUS!

This city has about 90,000 ppl. we are 3 hours away from vancouver :)View attachment Kamloops-bridge.jpg

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Fleming Island, Florida
Yes, it's actually an Island
No, it's not as cool as it sounds

a few years ago Fleming Island and Orange Park were one "big" town, but they seperated the two, now they are two very small towns, which it MUCH better.
I grew up in a small town (Luttrell, Tennessee) and loved it, never wanted to leave but...life happens.

some kind of painting/drawing of FI
[/URL]

Village Square shopping "mall" whatever you want to call it

Okay, enough with the weird paintings here are some ACTUAL pictures
This one is of the Fleming Island Marina

Here is a picture of my backyard

[/URL]

In 2003, they built a High School (Fleming Island High School...go figure)

Okay, that's the town I live in...now onto the neighborhood. The neighborhood is the number one reason we moved here, it's beautiful, safe, and people are wonderful. Now saying that, they are rich people (most of them) so they CAN be a bit snobby...and bitchy. But not many of them.

There are way to many pictures on this website for me to post on PF, so if you go to the website below you can look and read all about Pace Island.
Real Estate Blog - Pace Island - Gated Community (Fleming Island Florida)-

Some of the info isnt entirely correct (number of houses in Pace Island,and the kiddie pool is bigger now but that's it)

ENJOY!!

OH! and my favorite place in the whole wide world...our church

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Fo6, that is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Jeremy, I adore the architecture where you live, everything is so picturesque. :)

I forgot to mention that we have our own elementary school and middle school and high school in North East, although I don't know much about it because I attended Harborcreek high school (the town next to us is called Harborcreek) and it was grade 7-12 and each class had like 2-300 kids in it. Yeah, its a big school lol.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Eep, sorry, didnt realise how big the picture was, my computer auto resizes to fit the screen.

All fixed now.

FO6, that church picture is beautiful.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Midstream Estate, Centurion, Gauteng provice, South Africa.

Centurion is a smallish city (about 280 000 residents according to Wikipedia) in between our so-called business capital, Johannesburg, and our actual capital city, Pretoria. Its mostly residential, though more and more businesses are moving out here because it is so much nicer than either of the two bigger cities. It still has a lot of open spaces, and quiet little lanes like this:

Main landmarks include the Centurion Mall, with its man-made "lake" and the Cricket stadium.

The mall:

We also have a small game reserve surrounding the reservoir that supplies most of our drinking water, stocked with a variety of game, including the endangered White Rhino. Its quite cool to have that right on the outskirts of the city!

So that's the city.

Now the community where I live. I see myself as very fortunate. Midstream is one of the most sought-after gated communities in the area. We have very strict access-control, which makes it about as safe as you can get. Inside, we have a private school, sporting facilities (including a gym, squach courts, tennis courts, a cricket oval, a golf course, swimming pools, etc) lots of parks - some natural and some landscaped, shops, a filling station, etc.

Here is the website

And now, only in South Africa: :( About 5 kms from this Estate, is Tembisa, an township where some of the poorest people in this country survive (you can hardly call in live) in corrugated iron shacks, or out in the open. Its frightening to think about...

I don't know how to resize this, so here's a link