You're in America Buddy, learn to speak English...

azamudio

Oct 7, 2010
All I can say is that if I moved to Germany, I would work hard to learn German out of respect for the country in which I lived. This does not mean I would not be hurt if someone was offended at my lack of language skills like this guy was treated, but I could not put it on them to communicate with me when they have their own native language and I have not learned it. The guy should not have yelled, but I do think it's important that those living here should learn English. It's unreasonable to expect us to know all other languages in our home country. This is not intolerance, either. It's common courtesy as well as common sense. That's all.

Maser

PF Regular
Sep 25, 2010
CA
When I was a toddler, I learned both English and Spanish pretty much at the same time. It's really odd how intolerable people treat you as you get older. When I was a kid, everyone thought it was cute I could speak 2 languages at such a young age. When I became a pre-teen and teen, people started not thinking it was cute anymore. Especially when I would be on the phone with friends and/or family who are in Mexico and don't speak a word of English. So what is my take on this? It's really simple and here it goes.

The US Constitution is written in English, NOT American. And also there is NO place in the Constitution that states that America has an official language. However, on the other hand I do feel that you should feel some sort of obligation to learn the language that the laws are written in. It would be like me choosing to live in Germany, but not having a desire to learn German.

Now onto the whole thing about how people in America don't have a desire to learn American. Can you really blame them? Everything here in America is already written in Spanish for them. Maybe if less of that happened then maybe those who don't speak American would feel more obligated to learn the language.

In closing I will say that knowing more than one language is NEVER a bad thing regardless of your age, gender, race, sexuality, blood type, etc.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
To own a business in a tourist vacation spot and expect everyone to speak the local language seems pretty ridiculous.

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
well maybe he was in the process of learnin to speak English. i mean give him the benefit of the doubt....trust one of my stepdads was like that exept worse...complete racist.

jennismama

Oct 25, 2010
It is kind of frustrating when you can't communicate with someone else but to go as far as yelling? No. I bet he hopped in is pick-up and downed a 6 pack of budweiser after work.

simplyjesse

Oct 26, 2010
English is the second language of many countries. It won't hurt to hear this as long as it is sincerely meant not to be offensive.

reybob

Banned
Oct 26, 2010
As a filipino immigrant I believe there is validity in both sides of the argument. I think immigrants should make an effort and assimilate appropriately into the culture they chose, which includes speaking the language. However, people should be as accommodating and understanding as possible, we're all immigrants in a sense.

dkwultimate

Banned
Oct 28, 2010
haha!

English is the language of the world, that's what they say and most American think that way, I do not understand why. I guess if I'm living in the States I would try very hard to learn English. But then when most tourist esp. American ones go to different country... why should they always expect that they will be able to speak English...?? Why not thinking that they should learn some new languages!

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
i'll make this short and sweet as possible since its politics and a very sore issue with me
where is all the common general respect each person should be showing everyone else.

fuzzydad

Jan 15, 2008
Of course it's beneficial for anyone living in the United States to learn English. That will open so many doors and lead to more opportunities than any other single skill.

However, that does not make it OK for anyone to criticize or ridicule people who don't speak English. People who learned English as their native tongue and have never learned a second language have no idea how difficult it can be, how many years it can take to reach even a basic level of fluency. A little bit of empathy couldn't hurt.

It also couldn't hurt if American schools could devote more time to teaching foreign languages. A big part of the English-only movement is fear; learning even the basics of the language of "those people" may help alleviate some of the fear.

972hernandez

Nov 11, 2010
stjohnjulie said:
This is what I heard the owner of the hardware store say (loudly) to one of their customers yesterday. It really really bothers me. Are we really that intolerable of other people, foreigners? This is how it went...

A guy walks in with a part in his hand, all smiles, very pleasant, and goes up to the owner and shows her the part and points to what it is he is looking for. She replies, in English, and he says, "No English". Then she rips off "You're in America Buddy, you need to learn to speak English." Blah blah blah. I was so shocked that I couldn't even tell you what else she said. I was so embarrassed. I mean, he didn't understand what she said, so I guess that is the only good thing.

And this was all from a woman who is what we call a transplant local. She is not from the Virgin Islands, and she is not from this culture. You think she would be more tolerable of people who live somewhere where they are not 'from'. I guess I do think that if you are going to live somewhere where a different language is spoken, you should make an attempt to learn the language, but GEEZE, they guy was very polite and it wasn't like he was asking her to understand Spanish. He was able to communicate what it was he wanted pretty effectively. What do you guys think?
I think that woman needs to take a aggressive customer service seminar. Because of these customers.. "she's got a job". How rude! Were all human and one day, she might be on the other side needing assistance. I hope they laugh at her!!

mrsrunster

Aug 15, 2010
Norway
I know how it feels ....im native romanian , im speaking french, english, a bit of italian, but when i moved to Norway...norwegian seemed gibrish to me...couldnt understand a word...maybe just "ananas":D( pineapple) wich is the same as in romanian lol...
even though a lot of ppl are speaking english here, older ppl had the tendecy of treating me as a bum just because i didnt speak the language good enough...so that made me learn it in record speed, made me learn how to write, but im still experiencing that atitude that ppl usually have with those that are somewhat slow...now because im having an accent..they are still doubting my capacity of calculating, or using the payterminal (me and my husband have a second hand furniture shop) , so i didnt give up...next year im starting a class that will help me to pass the highest level norwegian test for immigrants, and in the autumn i will start accounting classes..
Its just humiliating sometimes to see ppls attitude, but that made me move forward, and think that if i want to be accepted, i have to addapt:p

NickStazno

Nov 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm new on these boards but I have to say this sort of thing really rubs me the wrong way for sure. Part of what makes our country so great is the "melting pot" of the country. Ignoring that also ignores the greatness of America.