Any tips on how to teach a kid to swim?...

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Good stuff! This is probably already on this site, but the mods should stick your last post someone as a stickie, that people can always look at. Like...a Hall of Fame for advice kinda thing.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Hey Fooser, another cheap wannabe mod here ;) (Fallon has been gone for a good year and Kaytee more like two years). Obviously Parentastic gave great advice. I unfortunately don't know much because I haven't taught any kids to swim yet! lol I am putting my four year old in YMCA classes here pretty soon though.

Try motivating him? Tell him if he can get to the other side of the pool that you'll buy him a new game. :D lol Or has he been to a place where there was a pool full of kids having fun? Which might make him want to join in?

You could always give him ear plugs, goggles, and a swim cap? :p Then there's nothing to complain about! I also agree with M2M about floaties, they really help things along by giving them a safe form of independence in the water.

Funny story, my mom learned to swim when her uncle threw her in the creek and said "better swim"! I wouldn't recommend that though. :eek:

Mostly I wanted to say that I'm glad to hear you get to see him sometimes, I know that was up in the air the last time you stopped by.

Last edited:

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Xero said:
Funny story, my mom learned to swim when her uncle threw her in the creek and said "better swim"! I wouldn't recommend that though. :eek:
That's how the hubby learned LOL. I made it clear there would be no throwing kids in water at my house. I was lucky though mine came out swimming.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
When I was little, my mom took me to classes and I HATED them. I was 2 or 3 and I remember the horror of it all. All the moms would stand in a circle in the pool and push us kiddos under the water for the next mom to grab. I would run and scream and hold on to the picnic table refusing to let go until the class was over. So that didn't work out so well for me.

When I was 5 I went to a pool to play around and 'free swim' time was over and a swim team came into practice. I sat out of the pool watching them practice and decided I wanted to do that too. So I joined the team and learned to swim. I swam competitively for many years after that and really loved it.

Not saying it will work for your guy, but maybe if you take him to check out a local swim team at a meet or practice he will see what other kids his age or younger are capable of and give it an honest try.

For my son, he was a bit the same way. We spend hundreds of days at the beach and in the water and he still didn't want to put his face in the water. Not with goggles, not with a mask, not with anything. What finally enticed him to do it was when I put him near a shallow reef and showed him what kind of stuff was down there. I told him that there was a lot more to be seen, but he needed to be able to stick his face in the water and swim to get to it. That did the trick for him. Before he knew it he had swam out in deeper waters looking at all the sea life (with me right next to him of course!). This trick wont work so well for most people though :) It's probably a bit tough to find a tropical reef in Denver.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
stjohnjulie said:
When I was little, my mom took me to classes and I HATED them. I was 2 or 3 and I remember the horror of it all. All the moms would stand in a circle in the pool and push us kiddos under the water for the next mom to grab. I would run and scream and hold on to the picnic table refusing to let go until the class was over. So that didn't work out so well for me.
LOL! Oh boy! The classes at the Y don't work like that, in fact the moms don't even get in. They have teachers that take everything step by step and they don't move on to the next step until they've comfortably mastered the first step. I think they start with putting the kids on a float board thing and letting them kick their legs etc. I would never dunk my kid in the water, in fact last year while I was visiting family in SC I mistakenly let my biological mom (you might know I'm adopted) hold ODS in the pool (has no idea how to swim and doesn't have much access to pools or beaches as we live in PA) and she thought it would be fun to dunk his head under the water. He looked so scared and he choked like crazy. I went off on her and she isn't allowed to hold him in pools anymore. I think its mean.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
FooserX said:
His mom is AWFUL. In soccer, she'd yell at him, insult him and stuff in front of me...constantly calling him lazy and difficult.
Gee, I can't see why he doesn't want to get out and try things.

Ray here, and I prefer lame mod wannabe to cheap....

Seriously about just the swimming thing, at this point it's going to take time. He's already afraid of the water and the excuses are there to cover his fear. I think it's going to take a lot of visits to the pool, maybe get him some goggles, so he can put his face in the water without stinging his eyes, and maybe eventually teach him, yeah it stings, but not much and you get used to it....I'f definietly start by getting him comfortable with his face in the water, then I'd try face floating before back floating, back floating can be really scary, face floating means you can get out of it by just standing up.

That's all I have.

Lame, I know.

melanie harte

Oct 26, 2011
its all about practise. the more you can get them to the pool the better.
take away the fear by getting in there with them. let them buy their own floats.
have fun in the water by ducking under the water.
read books about scared to swim etc... these will show an outcome which is positive.
Teach Your Child to Swim (Usborne Parents' Guides) by Susan Meredith, is recommended.

go to kiddiboom.com and search on the left search box Books and then this title - recommended

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Good ideas Melanie. I thought the same thing, but it's just hard seeing him only once every 2 weeks. I told his mom this, and she just came up with her own excuses why she can't go a lot.

Grrr!

GavinH

PF Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
Fort Mill, SC
I was having a tough time convincing my daughter to 'swim' so I used a technique that may father used #$%$ years ago when he taught me to swim.

Get a roll of coins and ,starting in the shallow end, toss a couple in. Make sure they are just deep enough so that he has to dip his head in to see and retrieve them. He gets to keep any that he can get out. I also got a couple of the toys that you can toss in the water and they sink slowly. The game of getting to them before they sink to the bottom can be a lot of fun and pretty soon he will be swimming after them.

Having said all that ... get in with him and have fun together rather than making it a lesson.

camnjane

Oct 19, 2011
Brisbane
I laughed at the money on the bottom tip - at myself that is for not thinking of it! What a great idea and this could also be substituted for anything the child likes or wants.

I think the hardest part about getting kids to learn how to swim is just that water confidence aspect. If they are scared of getting their head wet or putting their head underwater then you will really struggle until you break that hoodoo. The swim teachers my young boys go to spend a large amount of time conquering that fear and after that, things go much better in their lessons.

Overall, making swimming as fun as possible helps in your child actually wanting to learn so they too can have fun. Taking your children swimming with friends from preschool or school that can already swim can also go a long way in enticing your child to "hurry up and learn!"

Like everything with parenting, persistence pays!

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
We have taken to only allowing Cole (11) to play games with earned time. He earns 15 minutes per chapter if he reads. He earns 15 for room cleaning (his room is divided in half) ect. He cannot play even with earned time unless some expected chores are complete. I think it could be applied to some things you want him to do.

And yes major battle implementing this. But he is now earning time with out being encouraged to.

And I agree with the other posters you cant force it.

But you can chop this issue down a little at a time.

During the summer bring him to the pool every day. Nope he does not have to swim just be there with his suit on and towel in hand. He likely will cave out of peer pressure, curiosity, or simply the need to cool off.

I cant make any promises, or tell you this is the best way.

But I can tell you I have had significant success with My Boy doing things he was reluctant to do using this passive method.

This will take time, and a unbelieavable amount of patience on your part.

alter ego

PF Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2011
the bush, Australia
we spend a lot of time in the water, so our kids have just learnt to swim that way. Im not a fan of floaties (though I was tempted with the twins) instead we play in the shallow water so they are confident, and move on from that

SantaClaus

Banned
Nov 4, 2011
I think he will be much more comfortable if you are in the same swimming pool with him. To swim with your kids is the best way to teach them!

hannah31

Nov 8, 2011
The best option is to simply go to the swimming pool regularly, after a while he should start swimming by himself!

pbooker

Dec 3, 2011
Sometimes it can just be down the the child and maybe it's just accepted.

We have a six year old who swims like a fish, try keeping her away from the pool. However our ten your old son will sit beside the pool reading. No matter what we've tried we can't get him in the water.

Ruben Padilla

Dec 9, 2011
Los Angeles / San Diego CA
While it may be too cold to even think about swimming right now, you may want to plan to have a few of his friends join you whenever you go swimming. Peer support (as long as there's no teasing) can work wonders in giving your child confidence to try something new.

Sometimes, hearing what we have to say, even repeatedly, just doesn't work. But hearing a friend of the same age say it can be just the thing to push us over that barrier.

Indirect Parenting, Bankshot parenting (for those who play billiards), Roundabout parenting - I really should try and come up with a term for this. I use it often enough! :)

Good luck!

dodslinvv

Jan 30, 2012
I just brought mine to my friend's inhouse poor and just let them play there once a week. First it was just water splashing, but later they started developing little techniques for basic balancing. And sooner or later, they would get it.

Buttaflly227

PF Regular
Jan 31, 2012
Hi Forum Friend,
I suggest not pushing it. If he doesn't want to, don't make him. When he was in the classes what did the instructors say about it? Was he terrified, refuse to go in, or normal and just showed little interest?
If he's terrified that's one thing that should be dealt with. Perhaps just ask him to stand with you in the shallow end. Just stand and that's it for the day. Then next time show him how to tread water in the shallow end. Have him wear floaties etc.
If he's not scared and just not interested then leave it at that and try again in a few years.
Hope this helps!

Be well,
Be at Peace,
-Jessica

Anne M

Oct 17, 2011
Philippines
mom2many said:
If that is the case then yes, it is perfectly reasonable to say "Put the games down and let's go". Whether or not he chooses to join you the activity is completely up to him, but you do it and have fun in spite of him sitting on the sidelines.

And no you do not force a child outside of their comfort zone, no more then you let some one force you to do something you don't want to do. However, that doesn't mean you can't tag along and maybe change your mind at a future date. It doesn't have to be all or nothing with kids, sometimes it's more about compromise then anything else.
I think this is great advice. I mean at the end of the day, you can't force people to do anything. Force a kid and he may end up resenting you.

However, you can encourage certain activities by making it seem "fun" or introducing it "slowly." But again at the end of the day, if after trying these techniques the kid isn't interested, then it's just that. He isn't.

You can also try asking why he doesn't want to swim for example (there should be a valid reason there). And ask too about what other activities (aside from video games) he'd like to try or experience.

Hope this helps!