3 year old bedtime ??...

stepmother22

PF Regular
Feb 20, 2008
right now we have the same routine to put my stepson to sleep,, we lays on the sofa and watches TV with us until he falls asleep,, then my husband carries him to his room,, which is fine, but now it's taking longer for him to fall asleep and my husband in fallin asleep first, im 6 months pregnant, so before i could help carry him to bed but now it's outta the question,, we usually lay him down around 8:30 and he will fall asleep around 9:30- 10:00 sometimes later,, last night he layed down at 8:30 and it was after 10 by the time he fell asleep there have been a few times where we have just put him in his room,, like if he wasn't sleepin by 10, i tell him, ok mommy and daddy have to work, give us kiss good night, i lay down for a lil while and sometimes he falls asleep on his own but there have been times where i had to leave him in his bed,, my question is,, is it wrong to stick him in his bed at around 9 hug and kiss him and then leave, or should i wait till he falls asleep ??? if my husband waits with him, then he'll end up fallin asleep then i have to wake him up and chances are im gonna wake up my son also.. i lay down sometimes but as a working mother, we all know that night time is the only time i get to clean house,, can someone please help ???

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Scheduled 8:00pm bedtime ever since she was two has worked awesome here...if she's good, she can stay up till 9 on weekends, but barely makes it.

On weekdays she is asleep before 8:20, after tuck-in and storytime.

You seem to have created a routine for yourselves that may eventually have you up later and later. TV can stilmulate the child and is probably part of the problem. I'd be worried that you both may fall asleep before the child...not good in my opinion.

Personally I think you need a new routine.

My little one wakes around 8:00am every morning, it has always been like this. What time does your child wake up?

stepmother22

PF Regular
Feb 20, 2008
Music-dad said:
Scheduled 8:00pm bedtime ever since she was two has worked awesome here...if she's good, she can stay up till 9 on weekends, but barely makes it.

On weekdays she is asleep before 8:20, after tuck-in and storytime.

You seem to have created a routine for yourselves that may eventually have you up later and later. TV can stilmulate the child and is probably part of the problem. I'd be worried that you both may fall asleep before the child...not good in my opinion.

Personally I think you need a new routine.

My little one wakes around 8:00am every morning, it has always been like this. What time does your child wake up?
he wakes up between 6-7, mostly 6:30.. his real mom wakes him at 6:30 because she works on the other side of town and has to leave early to bring him to his grandmaw, i pass by grandmaw on my way to work, so he gets to sleep later when he is with us, most of the time he does, wakin up at 6 wears him out,, i don't ever fall asleep before him, my husband does , but he wakes up at 5 and works all day so of course he is tired, yea we brush, i always bath him after me, its easier to run his water while im dressing, and whne im finished i bath him, brush teeth and he lays down on sofa, he used to watch cartoons but we found out that makes him stay up later, so now we watch the news or weather, and usually he gets bored and falls alseep... i just feel bad if we stick him in his room before he is asleep,, what is we read a book and he doesnt fall asleep... do we just kiss him, tell him goodnight and leave ?? or should we stay till he falls alseep ??

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
I'd eliminate the TV all together after 8:00pm, brush teeth, story and tuck-in. Once he's in bed, that's it. If he cries, so be it...with little stimulation in a dark room I'm sure he will just fall asleep. The problem now is that he is used to about sleeping about 8 hours, so may now wake at 4am. It may take a bit for the new routine to kick in, because your old routine was infact a routine.

If he has problems falling asleep, put a CD player in his room and select a lullaby...the trick here is to play the same one everytime...I have a friend who needed this technique and it works wonders.

Why would you feel bad putting him to bed before he is asleep? Do you fall asleep before you go to bed? hehehe..joking :)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Alright first, it is true that all children need different amount of sleep, but on averae he shoul dbe getting at least 12 hours a day. Does he take a nap? My dd lost her last nap young so it is normal if he doesn't anymore.

As far as routine goes, I think its time for a new routine as well. I think because you want it to be drastically different, it may be better to start slow and greadually work into it. For example: If you want to stay on his morning schedule, which would make sense since he HAS to get up early. Then I would get him up at his normal time in the morning NO NAP!!!!! That way he is extra tired at night. Then around 6pm, start yournew routine. Put his pjs on, brush his teeth, clean up toys, whatever you want it to be. Then its time for bed. Take him TO HIS ROOM!!! Lay him on his bed, and read to him for about 15 minutes. Longer if he will let you. Then give him kisses and leave. I do not agree with allowing the child to scream with no attention. So me personally, I would walk out of the room and stand outside the door way where he can't see you. If he cries, let it go for a minute (thats as long as I would personally), then go back in, do not pick him up just tell him its time to go night night and that you will see him in the morning. For my dd what works is me telling her I will be back in a few minutes to check on her and if she needs me for anything, just call. She usually is fine after that. Be persistent. Do not let him out of bed. If yo want to go even gentler, then read to him in bed and snuggle with him there. Then after a week of doing that, then switch to you leaving.

stepmother22

PF Regular
Feb 20, 2008
yes i do, but i can sleep more than 8 hours lol.. yeah i agree,, we have put him in bed before and let him cry, we only done it once or twice, one time he was still up at 11 ( on the weekend) and finally i put him in his bed and kissed him and told him that he was time to go to bed, and he cried for a lil while and fell asleep,, but i dont want to do that every night, i know the routine will take a lil while, we will try it tonight,, i don't think he will be as hard as i think,,

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
My daughter has rarely ever cried after tuck in, but when she has it never lasted more than 3 mins, and has learned that it doesn't help so why bother.

I realize every child is different, my cousin's boy until 2 was a handfull (if he was awake, he was crying) I don't know how I would have handled that. But she did, and all is right in her world now.

I'm very happy with our routine, she is too.

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
My kids have always been on a schedule. They go to bed no later than 8:30 during the week and although they don't really have a bedtime on the weekends are normally asleep by 9:30-10. All 3 of my kids get up at 6:30 during the week and around 8 or so on weekends. I would put my kids in bed and if they got out I would give them loves and send them back, but they knew if they got out of bed again they were in trouble. There are a few nights here and there were I have to sit where Kyla can see me and I would read or watch TV, but normally she does really good at staying in bed.

Of course now with all that has happened in our house I wake up with both girls in bed with me. :p

I would say to put your son in bed and give him loves, tell him good night and leave the room. It is ok for him to be in bed before sleeping. And it is better to have the schedule now because before you know it he is going to be in school and it will be really hard to get him on a schedule so he wont be tired in school.