:(...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
musicmom said:
She has absolutley no oxegen or air in any of her sinus cavity's and since she's had this since Oct the mucosa is eating away her thin bones. The mucosa is too thick to drain and she can't blow because her nasal passages are to small and blocked and there is no air to get behind it to make it blow. She's already been on antibiotics, nose sprays, different meds. If this round of antibiotics doesn't work then they have to go in and do surgery to scrap it all out. I don't want my daughter to go under so I am trying anything. She's only six and this usually doesn't happen in children this young. The fkn dr didn't listen to me back in Dec when I told him this was way more serious then just a sinus infection. I could tell by her behavior. :(
Please don't make jokes Fooser because I'm pretty upset about it okay?
hugs to you and your little girl...nobody would make jokes about this :(

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Did you know that I actually joined another forum. I thought I was surely a goner. :(

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Thanks Kaytee, I just picked up a stronger anti biotic to give those one more shot. This is the last straw and then off to surgery so I am praying this works. Very scary.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
SHe's very strong and determined and I'm sure she will be ok. I'll suck it out myself if I have too. hahaha

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
Hey MusicMom,

I used to have horrible chronic sinusitis. Finally had to have major rhinoplasty. The ENT told my mom that there were only two things they do to noses/sinuses that they didn't do to mine!

I had a few thoughts to pass on:

1. Is she taking an expectorant? I know we think of them for coughs, but one doc explained to me that they thin the mucus. So they help with sinus congestion, too.

2. Have you tried nasal irrigation? Like a Neti pot? My husband's family all swear by this. I don't usually have any problems since the surgery.

3. Hydrate! Drinking lots of fluids also helps thin the stuff.

4. Are you using heating pads on her sinuses? Get the kind you can use 'wet' and put damp cloths between the face and the heating pad. I actually had one that was shaped like a mask, made just for use on sinuses.

5. IF she has the surgery: when I had mine, they placed 'splints' inside my nostrils. Don't know their exact function, but they have to come out a little later. The ENT will probably tell you to get saline and spray regularly in each nostril. DO IT! Do it very frequently. If you keep the tissues inside the nose the blood won't dry and clot. Then when they pull out the 'splints', it won't hurt as much. And I'd recommend a painkiller for the splint removal. It wasn't fun.

But I'll be hoping that she doesn't need the surgery. Good luck,
Ali

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Thank you for your tips. I can not use saline spray because her nasal passages are totally blocked the spray runs right back out into her mouth. The mucosa is too thick. We have tried expectorant.
She'd never keep a heating thing on her face so I take them to the beach instead which is salt water and hot sun. Same thing and she has no idea what's happening ;)
I don't want to think about surgery just yet. This is day two with the antibiotics.

She's doing the same today, no change. Thanks for asking Kaytee.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I'm not sure if it's dried up there or just really thick. I did try spicy food and it didn't even affect her.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Nothing can get up there. Look at it like this. Your talking about a hole thats smaller then an eraser tip and inside that tiny hole is a rubber balloon that has the entire entrance blocked. How can you get anything to penetrate that?
She can't blow because it will make "the balloons" bigger and can form huge polyps.
There is NO air inside her small or large sinus cavity so nothing can move.

See that's laymens terms again for ya ;)