a girly question - no Foosers allowed...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
After you have a baby, how long did it take for your milk to dry up. Oliver is 14 months old and I'm still producing some but not a lot. I can even feel it let down once in awhile. Is that normal?? :eek:

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I never made milk so I can't help but I'm sure someone will know. I would say yes it's normal, that would be from research I did while I was planning to breast feed. I even held out hope after knowing I had been able to wear the same bra the whole preg without even adjusting. I guess that should have been my sign but I just thought it would come in after the baby....nope

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
lol...ok well then maybe you are just taking longer to dry up I sure it's all good though but kaytee should be able to help farther when she gets back.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Check with your Dr to make sure you do not have any type of infection. Sometimes you can have an infection in your body that will make your breasts produce milk. Nothing to worry about I'm sure but it's better to be safe.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I still occasionally leaked milk several months after weaning each child. My OB/GYN said it wasn't unusual, but ask your doctor if you're concerned. He/she is familiar with your specific case.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Yes it is normal for woman to lactate for months and months after they wean. Its just a hormonal change. Most likely you are perfectly normal but like others have said always ask your doc about it if you're concerned. Even better ask a lactation consultant. Call your local LLL, they can give you "real" advise on it compared to a doctor that I probably could walk circles around when it comes to this subject

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
I was just gonna say it's normal as well.

Your response to being pregnant though made me laugh because when I went to the hospital when I was sick and they asked if I was I said, "Last time I had sex I got pregnant with my baby and as she is 7 months old I am pretty dang sure." The nurse laughed.

EHB

PF Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2008
California and New Jersey
Echoing the others to say it's very normal and especially normal of a first child when your body has to adjust to it's first lactating experience. I continued to lactate for about a year, though it became a clear liquid and was just a bit weepy at times, but nothing serious. My doctor told me it was normal and he also said it was so minimal he did not know why I was even concerned.

I noticed that with my subsequent children, I did not have this problem. I think my body realized that when the baby was done, the baby was done! I breast fed each of my children for about a year.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
What you are experiencing is normal, Lissa. How long? Who knows, it's different for everyone. How long were you nursing Oliver?

Some women were able to relactate even few YEARS later after they stopped nursing.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Lissa said:
I only nursed for three weeks.
It still is normal. Many women who were doing relactation (for their baby or adoptive one or for a husband who was having a cancer and was going through treatment) few months to a year from stopping nursing were very susessfull and were able to re-build their FULL supply relatively quickly.[/COLOR]

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Lissa said:
Is it possible to never dry up completely?
yes.

your boobs keep producing milk for as long as their in use. There are cases of grandmothers nursing their grandkids in some isolated villages - keep in mind that in some places in the world people aren't so uptight about hygiene and propiety: for instance, in a village where a baby might sometimes get fed by a friend of the family who's lactating... why not? it's gross, but not unsafe.

I've read of women who give milk to milk-banks for years after their own children wean off the breast - I've read of women who gave milk to milk-banks when their own child died in labour - firstly as a way to ease the swelling without wasting the milk, and then as a way to stay connected to their unliving child....

a good book is "fresh milk" - a fascinating book of breast feeding stories - including one hawaiian man who took to comforting his screaming, hungry daughter with his own nipple while waiting for mum to come home - and in the end his nipples actually started to produce some 'stuff'... not milk, but... stuff.