antibiotic resistance...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Lissa, I wanted to let you know that we went to the Dr's today for an on going problem and the dr switched anti biotics to the strongest they have which is zythromiacin. He said it should work. I actually had the Dr stumped. I am telling him at this point its because of the mold and I would like him to look into this forward. It's like they are trained for the simple things. He wants to see her in two weeks. I can almost promise she will still have this.
He thought it was copper poisoning. Oye, not to thrilled. :(

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Poor baby! I would see if maybe he did build a resistance if it is the same med and he has had multiple infections. Everyone is sick though. I am awake now because one of the kids I babysit is up every three hours with her fever and I am having to alternate her tylenol and Motrin. Luckily it seems to have brolen but she is uncomfortable to say the least.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Kaytee said:
copper poison? what are the signs of that?
My house is over ten years old and we have copper plumbing still. To get the plumbing switched over to PVC it would cost us $5000 or $6000. We just don't have that. He's saying thats not what it is because they would have to injest alot of the water. I told him they only take a bath in it and I sometimes cook with it if I am going to boil something. He said that would not do it.
I guess the copper from the plumbing can get into their system and poison them. He said their signs and symptoms were pointing to that. (coughing, wet cough, runny nose, sinus congestion for a long period of time, no other symptoms) Mine had this for four months and no meds were working, not even the amoxcillan antibiotic)
I think I have the problem solved.....I had the a/c guys come back that put in the new unit and they put in a UV light that kills any mold, virus, etc. It's working!!! The kids are getting better. I am still spraying lysol and a bleach mist into the intakes to kill whatever mold was in there. It was the mold from the a/c!
It was SO scary.
The Dr did switch her antibiotics from amoxcillan to Zithromax (very stron antibiotic) so that may have helped. Apparently the antibiotic she was on was not strong enough.
How is your child doing?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
jenilouise said:
Poor baby! I would see if maybe he did build a resistance if it is the same med and he has had multiple infections. Everyone is sick though. I am awake now because one of the kids I babysit is up every three hours with her fever and I am having to alternate her tylenol and Motrin. Luckily it seems to have brolen but she is uncomfortable to say the least.
I used to have to give the "cocktail" of Motrin and Tylonol. That was the only thing that worked for my children's fevers. I had to write it all down. With three kids I was so afraid of overdosing them. :frown:

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Yes I have to write everything down to keep it in order. The hard part is right now when all three are sick, different symptoms and different meds. It can get overwhelming.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
musicmom said:
I used to have to give the "cocktail" of Motrin and Tylonol. That was the only thing that worked for my children's fevers. I had to write it all down. With three kids I was so afraid of overdosing them. :frown:
Hannah was the first one to have fevers like that and about 18 months old. I remember her having many 104 fevers.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Lissa said:
My son has been on antibiotics for about 7 days now. I have noticed little improvement in his attitude (he is very whiney) and he still has a bad cough and a snotty nose. The doctor said that he should be feeling better in 24 hours after the first dose. Do you think the antibiotics aren't working?? He shouldn't still have a snotty nose. I take him in tomorrow to see if he needs tubes and he also gets his 15 month shots. I just hope he doesn't already have a resistance to antibiotics.
<SIZE size="125">I personally think that antibiotics should be given ONLY when body just can't fight a particular infection without it (and it's VERY rare). I NEVER use any antibiotics for flu, colds, stomach bugs, ear infections, etc. </SIZE>
<SIZE size="125">Healthy gut flora is the <U>foundation </U>of health/healthy immune system and antibiotics DESTROY it.</SIZE>
<SIZE size="125">As for what your son is going through, it sounds very much like what both of my kids just went through. Bad 'wet' cough, high fever (my son was running high fever up to 104.5 for 5 days and my daughter's fever was up to 105 for three days), runny nose. They both are fine now with some mild left over of cough. The only medicine I used was breast milk (alot of it) and with my daughter I had a feeling that her ear was bothering her a bit, so I put drops of garlic oil/olive oil based herbal drops for a couple of day and she's fine now.</SIZE>

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I personally think that antibiotics should be given ONLY when body just can't fight a particular infection without it (and it's VERY rare). I NEVER use any antibiotics for flu, colds, stomach bugs, ear infections, etc. [/SIZE]</SIZE>
<SIZE size="125">Healthy gut flora is the <U>foundation </U>of health/healthy immune system and antibiotics DESTROY it.</SIZE>
<SIZE size="125">As for what your son is going through, it sounds very much like what both of my kids just went through. Bad 'wet' cough, high fever (my son was running high fever up to 104.5 for 5 days and my daughter's fever was up to 105 for three days), runny nose. They both are fine now with some mild left over of cough. The only medicine I used was breast milk (alot of it) and with my daughter I had a feeling that her ear was bothering her a bit, so I put drops of garlic oil/olive oil based herbal drops for a couple of day and she's fine now.</SIZE>[/quote]
If left untreated virus, colds, and ear infections can go into secondary infections that can be fatal to a child. Sorry but I don't believe breast milk is going to save my childs life. I was breast feeding when my child got rota "virus" and was hospitalized.
I wouldn't take the chance of my child being brain damaged because I allowed them to have a high temp that could cause seizures.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
musicmom said:
If left untreated virus, colds, and ear infections can go into secondary infections that can be fatal to a child. Sorry but I don't believe breast milk is going to save my childs life. I was breast feeding when my child got rota "virus" and was hospitalized.
I wouldn't take the chance of my child being brain damaged because I allowed them to have a high temp that could cause seizures.
First of all, antibiotics are ABSILUTELY AND TOTALLY USELESS for ANY VIRUS. As for ear infections, even FDA now discourages doctors from using antibiotics for ear infections unless a baby is very small or it’s a very serious ear infection WITH FEVER. Colds, well, we all have them and this is just a normal part of developing a healthy immune system.</SIZE>[/FONT]

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Lissa, most likely it has nothing to do with antibiotic resistance. Your little one is probably having something viral which makes antibiotics useless...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yay antibiotics are sooo way over used these days.
With ear infections, it just depends, they (research) now says that if it lasts more then a week, or their is colored drainage then antibiotics should be used. Other then that, it is useless. 90% or more are viral

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
breastfed babies are not immune to getting problems, it just lowers the chance of them getting it.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Kaytee said:
yay antibiotics are sooo way over used these days.
With ear infections, it just depends, they (research) now says that if it lasts more then a week, or their is colored drainage then antibiotics should be used. Other then that, it is useless. 90% or more are viral
Exactly. That's what I was saying. Antibiotics won't touch a virus.......only if it goes into a secondary infection....Key word "infection"
Oh wait.....Kaytee...we agree'd on something ;)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
musicmom said:
Exactly. That's what I was saying. Antibiotics won't touch a virus.......only if it goes into a secondary infection....Key word "infection"
Oh wait.....Kaytee...we agree'd on something ;)

we have agreed on many things before! We are aloud to disagree on things though! lol