at what age...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
do you start potty training?

do you give toddlers utensils to eat with?

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Potty training - introduce the ideas around 15-18 months. Read books, play with the little potty. Around 2 is when the muscles to control going or holding become developed enough to start training. It is more about when the child is ready than age.

Utensils - I don't really remember but I think Hannah used a spoon and fork around 2

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
All of my kids learned perfectly with no accidents at three. I worked with them prior but did not push it. They kinda did it on their own because they wanted to. Never an accident.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
We introduced the potty at around two years. It's been a half a year and she's not potty trained yet. We stepped back since her sister was going to be born. We didn't want to put too much new stuff on her at once.

She started using forks and spoons around 18 months pretty well. I think she started at 16 months though. Pretty young.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Kaylynn potty trained herself. She'd seen the potty in the bathroom, and I guess just one day woke up and decided she was done with diapers and never had another accident.

Lauren was potty trained a little after she turned 2. She still has accidents occasionally, but normally just if she's slept really hard.

Cameron was my hard one. I had him going potty in the toilet, except for #2. I never thought that boy would poop in the toilet. But, he ended up getting the hang of it around 3 1/2.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Cameron used to have this toy. It was a crane, but the thing had eyes and stuff and it looked like a crane/dinosaur. It's name was Chomper. (No joke, that was what the box said) And Chomper had a mouth that could pick up these little plastic rocks that came with it. There was a little button inside the mouth that would make it say "Chomper's Hungry" or "Chomper wants rocks"

So, I come home from work that day, and my ex-husband says "Come and see what your son did." (I hate that...hows come when they're in trouble it's not OUR son, but YOUR son???) I walk into the bathroom, and Chomper is in my sink....with his mouth full of poop.

I have never laughed so hard in my life. I couldn't even punish him for it.

parentinzen

PF Regular
Mar 9, 2008
With both of my kids we got out the little potty at around 16 months and started talking about it then. My first decided on her 2nd birthday that she was done with diapers. The second was a longer process but learned around age 2 1/2. We just would talk about how big girls went on the potty from 16 months on. Then around age 2 we really worked on how to use the potty.
I think with utensils we started around 12 months. We didn't really do anything but give them the option at that point. Mostly it was a play thing for about 6 months. Then around age 18 months they used them on occasion.

-Amy
http://www.parentingzen.com