Baby's shopping list and reviews...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
the only thing a newborn needs besides mom and her milk is a car seat. Oh and diapers and wipes. (cloth or disposable) thats all a baby really needs.
As they get older yes they will need more.

ocean7

Apr 18, 2008
Thanks. I was very confused as people advise me to buy this and that. I have bought quite a few things but don't know if they would really be useful.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
it depends o nyou and your baby!! I know people that say don't buy a swing, but many babies love them. To me, its best to see the way your child is going to be BEFORE you go and buy them everything.

For example I think it is a waste of money to buy a changing table, but others swear by them. lol
Is there anything specific that you are wanting opinions about?

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Kaytee said:
For example I think it is a waste of money to buy a changing table, but others swear by them. lol
I hear that! I never did have a changing table. Pretty much changed her all over the house.. wherever happened to be handy at the time. ;)

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Kaytee said:
couch was my favorite place!! lol
That is where we spent most of our time :p When she was an infant, I ended up on the couch, crashed out with her sleeping soundly on top of me ... so many times. Oh those were exhausting times!

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
It certain was for me. But we had a latching problem and I ended up pumping exclusively and bottlefeeding breast milk.

I guess that's a pretty good example how everyone's needs are different, huh?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
depends. I personally used mine the day my milk came in and thats it. I was majorily engorged!!! It was bad! But my dd never took pumped milk so for me, no.
Now if you plan to go back to work, then YES YES YES!!!!!!! Please get yourself a good one. Ameda is great, so is Medela. Do not get a cheap one if you are going to work.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I should have thought of the caffiene thing on the nights where I was hallucinating from being so tired...lol. Anyway, about the changing tables! I have one and have NEVER USED IT! :D But the shelves are nice for putting things on.

Gothdad

PF Regular
Apr 19, 2008
Lets see Diapers $20 Wipes $3-5. When you get to the baby food $20-30. Cloths every other month. Yea that about It so ur lookin at prolly about ...... $50-60 a month approx.

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Kaytee said:
the only thing a newborn needs besides mom and her milk is a car seat. Oh and diapers and wipes. (cloth or disposable) thats all a baby really needs.
As they get older yes they will need more.
I second this! The only thing I would suggest beyond diapers and a car seat is a sling. It made my life so much easier. For a while my son (baby #2) would NOT sleep unless he was being held. So, I strapped him to me and worked while he slept. I realized how different my life has become since baby #1. The house revolved around her. Now I know how to fit my children into the rhythm of the house. I realized this when I was making homemade tortillas with a 5 month old sleeping on my chest...

Oh, and cloth diapers will save you SO much money!! Just don't buy the ones at Wal-Mart, they don't work. Go to wildflowerdiapers.com and get some good ones. They are pricey, but they will last you a lifetime!

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Kaytee said:
lol, yep what will we do with 2!!!!???? Can't nap! UHG!
Trust me, you learn to operate sleeplessly! LOL! Actually, once you stop thinking about how hard handling two is, suddenly its not so hard. It just happens.