bitting...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I need quick help guys. My son has become a bitter and the object of his bitting is me, just me...and the only way he stops is if his father raises his voices. I have tried putting him in time out, walking away, stern talking, and even raising my voice just like DH does. The more I try to stop him from bitting me the funnier he thinks it is. He chases me a round the house and bites hard when I have my back turned or if I can't catch him before he gets to me. I'm the only one he's doing this to and it's making me crazy. Any advice you can give would be great!!! I can't live my life in fear of my toddler...lol

MummyatHome

PF Regular
Nov 8, 2007
Australia
I hear ya! My LO is a biter. sucks huh? No answers for you, but I will be watching this thread with interest for answers for myself! LOL!

Oh, just a thought.. is he doing it for a reaction? maybe if you just ignored it? But I know how much hurts, so this might be difficult!!

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
MummyatHome said:
I hear ya! My LO is a biter. sucks huh? No answers for you, but I will be watching this thread with interest for answers for myself! LOL!

Oh, just a thought.. is he doing it for a reaction? maybe if you just ignored it? But I know how much hurts, so this might be difficult!!
I think it all started because of my reaction actually...lol The first time he did it my back was turned and I didn't know he was there. He bite me on the back of the leg and I let out a huge, suprised, "ouch". He laughed like crazy and then started actually chasing me around the house. Running from him kinda made it a game as well but I had no time to think...he was attacking me and it hurt. I couldn't just stay in one stop and let it happen, ya know :(

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
fallon said:
I think it all started because of my reaction actually...lol The first time he did it my back was turned and I didn't know he was there. He bite me on the back of the leg and I let out a huge, suprised, "ouch". He laughed like crazy and then started actually chasing me around the house. Running from him kinda made it a game as well but I had no time to think...he was attacking me and it hurt. I couldn't just stay in one stop and let it happen, ya know :(

That's what happened with my littlest, I started laughing cause it came out of nowhere! My oldest was the WORST, his was always geared towards his sister, he would take chunks out of her, the only way I broke him was by biting back, that was after a really bad bite. But the others I never had to do that with (Thank goodness!) usually if I move them away from me and sternly tell them "no biting, that hurts mommy" turn my back on them and give no interaction for about a minute or two, within time they get the hint and slowly stop biting. The hardest part is waiting it out.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Did you try telling him that it hurts and looking really sad maybe pretending to cry? Lol sounds stupid but SOME kids, not all, react well to guilt trips. Haha. Like ask him "Are you trying to hurt mommy? That's not very nice, mommy loves you". Type of thing.

Mom2Many, lol. I love it, sounds like something my mom would do to get her kids to quit biting. Bite back, show them how it feels! It doesn't feel good! :p hahahaha

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Xero said:
Did you try telling him that it hurts and looking really sad maybe pretending to cry? Lol sounds stupid but SOME kids, not all, react well to guilt trips. Haha. Like ask him "Are you trying to hurt mommy? That's not very nice, mommy loves you". Type of thing.
my sweet little demon thinks it's quite funny when when mommy is sad lol

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
fallon said:
oh no...are you having a problem with another child biting yours?
Yep! Oh and my kid bites my clothes. She'll bite my shirt and pull so it'll pop out of her teeth. She gets skin every once in awhile and dies laughing when she does.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
jrrsmom said:
Yep! Oh and my kid bites my clothes. She'll bite my shirt and pull so it'll pop out of her teeth. She gets skin every once in awhile and dies laughing when she does.
that's how it started with us and now he actually goes for the skin :mad: I would die if he bite another child. He hasn't even attempted to bite his sister and they play constantly. If the biting isn't under control soon he won't be allowed around a lot of other children until we can get a handle on

Saachi

Sep 30, 2008
You could always just try and bite them back, not hard of course. My cousin use to bite my brother all the time, this went on for about a year and they tried everything to stop this but nothing was working. Well, my mom got really tired of it and so once she seen my cousin bite my brother she bit him and he stopped. He never bit my brother or anyone else again. Of course it seems a bit mean but they get over it fast and you're not bitting them hard.

majin_shinsa

Sep 29, 2008
Groton CT
Damien bites when he's mad and what we do to try and get that under control is we tap his mouth and say "No biting!" He usually fusses at that point but he won't bite again for a while

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Saachi said:
You could always just try and bite them back, not hard of course. My cousin use to bite my brother all the time, this went on for about a year and they tried everything to stop this but nothing was working. Well, my mom got really tired of it and so once she seen my cousin bite my brother she bit him and he stopped. He never bit my brother or anyone else again. Of course it seems a bit mean but they get over it fast and you're not bitting them hard.
This is horrible and I would never tell a parent to do it. Why would you ever bite a child?

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
I don't have any experience with this and I honestly don't know what I would do but I don't agree with biting a child. Then again I don't believe that violence is a good way to solve anything. There's got to be another way. Maybe seek help from a child psychologist or consult your local library. There's just got to be another way.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Dadu2004 said:
This is horrible and I would never tell a parent to do it. Why would you ever bite a child?
I understand your thinking here but I wanted to say that Logan actually stopped biting me right after our dog bit him for pulling her tail :eek: Not hard enough to even leave a mark but it let him know he didn't like it and should probably stop doing it. I don't think I would have biten him myself but he clearly had no idea what it felt like...now he does and biting is no longer a problem in our house :)

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Yes, but a dog biting is much different than a parent biting. A dog would be expected to act that way...fortunately, we're much more evolved than this.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
fallon said:
I understand your thinking here but I wanted to say that Logan actually stopped biting me right after our dog bit him for pulling her tail :eek: Not hard enough to even leave a mark but it let him know he didn't like it and should probably stop doing it. I don't think I would have biten him myself but he clearly had no idea what it felt like...now he does and biting is no longer a problem in our house :)

Sometimes God intervenes when necessary.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I don't think it's that big of a deal guys. It's just showing a kid what something feels like so they can practice empathy. How can you consider how your actions affect somebody if you don't know what affect they really have? Nobody left a bruise or broke skin, probably not even a red mark. Hardly even a pinch, but with teeth. Just a harmless little bite after nothing else "tame" works. No reason to freak out like somebody's being a barbarian or abusing a child. Sometimes a one year old doesn't listen to reason (actually, almost never). Sometimes you have to show them in an unpleasant yet harmless manner. Any parent would tell you that a toddler understands more of what he is shown than what he is told. This is not a big deal, and although it wouldn't be my first course of action, I'd probably do it. I certainly wouldn't call it horrible. And most definitely wouldn't refer to it as violence. Sometimes the people on this forum talk like they're perfect and they know all the answers, and the minute something a little bit off comes up it's a really big deal. So? Don't do it if you don't feel right about it. Worked for them!

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Xero said:
I don't think it's that big of a deal guys. It's just showing a kid what something feels like so they can practice empathy. How can you consider how your actions affect somebody if you don't know what affect they really have? Nobody left a bruise or broke skin, probably not even a red mark. Hardly even a pinch, but with teeth. Just a harmless little bite after nothing else "tame" works. No reason to freak out like somebody's being a barbarian or abusing a child. Sometimes a one year old doesn't listen to reason (actually, almost never). Sometimes you have to show them in an unpleasant yet harmless manner. Any parent would tell you that a toddler understands more of what he is shown than what he is told. This is not a big deal, and although it wouldn't be my first course of action, I'd probably do it. I certainly wouldn't call it horrible. And most definitely wouldn't refer to it as violence. Sometimes the people on this forum talk like they're perfect and they know all the answers, and the minute something a little bit off comes up it's a really big deal. So? Don't do it if you don't feel right about it. Worked for them!
I'm a firm believer that only you know what's really best for you own child :)